MBAM 2.2.1: No Definitions Updates after May 19

7 minutes ago, tetonbob said:

Thanks @anon743 - these old client logs are not terribly revealing. We've made many improvements over time, though, yes, with increased resource use which doesn't necessarily work well on older machines.

The database packages are being published to our servers, but the client is not being allowed to download them. We're still looking, but as Ron mentioned earlier in a screenshot he posted, there's no guarantee these old clients will continue to receive protection updates.

Let's wait for member Anjoland to submit some logs to you first, see if you find any similarities whatsoever.

What I don't understand is that, why is the client not allowed to download the database packages?  Is there anything to do with permissions on the servers etc.?  And is there a way to manually download the definitions updates as an executable so that the user (client) can manually install it?

BTW the other admin has suggested that I reset the Winsock stuff.  Would this really work?  I'm not sure if I should go ahead as doing so may cause problems to the rest of the network connections etc.

Edited by anon743
  • Like 1

Sorry i dont have all the info in front of me. I ran a wireshark on my pc and saw the malwarebytes client attempts to reach out to an update server. The update server domain no longer exists. I believe you guys may have transitioned to new database update servers and let the old domain that was hosting them lapse. 

• Like 1

Additional information that may or may not help . . .

I am having the same no MBAM database updates since 05/19/2022 problem on three old Windows 7 PCs. All are still running MBAM 2.2.1.1043. All are current with the non-ESU Windows Updates that Microsoft still pushes out to Win7 PCs. All are running the current version of ESET NOD32 antivirus and are current with updates. Not all three PCs are started every day nor kept on all day.

All three PCs still successfully complete a MBAM scan, albeit with the last database version update they each received. The most recent MBAM database update for each of the three PCs is 2022.5.25, 2022.5.19.5, and 2022.5.19.8.

The first indication I had about this MBAM database update problem was when I got the 'Databases out of date' pop up after starting the PC with database version 2022.5.19.5 on the morning of 05/19/2022. When I tried a manual update from within the dashboard I got the 'No updates available' response, and I have gotten the same response again every time I have tried since then on all three PCs.

The first indication I can find of this MBAM database update problem in the log files is that on 05/18/2022 the Protection log on the PC with database version 2022.5.19.5 shows a failed attempt to update at 8:44pm Eastern US time with 'No internet connection detected'. Then another attempt to update failed at 11:45pm with 'Unable to access update server'. 

A strange thing is the Protection log for 05/19/2022 for this PC is empty but the Scanning log is there and appears to be normal. All Protection logs before and after 05/19/2022 on this PC are there and appear to be normal.

Another thing, if it is relevant. I am able to able to access the server at https://sirius.mwbsys.com/ and get the 'ok' message. on all three PCs.

• Like 1

Here is the details i believe this is the root of everyones problem:

2277    9.917901    192.168.1.5    192.168.1.149    DNS    170    Standard query response 0xb2a5 No such name A edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com SOA ns-957.awsdns-55.net

2394    10.028120    192.168.1.5    192.168.1.149    DNS    170    Standard query response 0xfbf3 No such name A llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com SOA ns-957.awsdns-55.net

the product is reaching out to these servers for updates and the dns records do not exist.

• Like 3

• Staff
7 hours ago, anon743 said:

Let's wait for member Anjoland to submit some logs to you first, see if you find any similarities whatsoever.

What I don't understand is that, why is the client not allowed to download the database packages?  Is there anything to do with permissions on the servers etc.?  And is there a way to manually download the definitions updates as an executable so that the user (client) can manually install it?

BTW the other admin has suggested that I reset the Winsock stuff.  Would this really work?  I'm not sure if I should go ahead as doing so may cause problems to the rest of the network connections etc.

@anon743 - I'd suggest holding off on making changes while we continue our internal investigation.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, tetonbob said:

@anon743 - I'd suggest holding off on making changes while we continue our internal investigation.

Thanks for your honest feedback.  By stark contrast though, your other colleague seemed to have made a ridicule out of my situation.  Not amused with that at all!

I'd also like to give credit to the other members in this thread who've come up to report the issue.

Bob, may I also ask you to take the comments and observations of members cryptz, ggeinec and janonrawr into consideration while investigating the issue?

As we speak (5-25) the problem has still not been rectified.

Edited by anon743
  • Like 1

I've also experienced this problem on five Win10 computers.

I read on an older forum for a more recent version of Malwarebytes, that IPv6 was needed.

My older modem/router doesn't support that but was happily updating until 19 May.

I wonder if the server has been changed to IPv6 only now and cutting a lot of users off.

I installed the android version on my mobile today via WiFi and it wouldn't get me a database, but updated successfully when I turned on the 4G connection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, treenz said:

I've also experienced this problem on five Win10 computers.

I read on an older forum for a more recent version of Malwarebytes, that IPv6 was needed.

My older modem/router doesn't support that but was happily updating until 19 May.

I wonder if the server has been changed to IPv6 only now and cutting a lot of users off.

I installed the android version on my mobile today via WiFi and it wouldn't get me a database, but updated successfully when I turned on the 4G connection.

Thanks for input.  By now I see quite a lot of folks here still swearing by v2.2.1 even though they're running on relatively more modern systems (7SP1/8.x/10) that allow for newer version software builds with minimal compatibility issues, and there have to be reasons for that.  To me, this old MBAM version being a compact one (ie. for yearswithout sagging a lot of system resources) was the selling point, and because many of us are already running some other major AV/firewall systems, MBAM 2.2.1 has for years served as a good top-up protection module for added system protection.

treenz, maybe you can consider migrating to the next major legacy version, v3.5.1, to see if things may improve at your side?

Bob (MB admin), I need to be straight with this.  The clause regarding older (EOL'ed) client MBAM software versions not guaranteed to receive definitions updates, sounds very absurd to me.  When you look at other companies and how they deal with older legacy software versions on security software, those companies would mostly guarantee that paid subscribers (who need to stick to such older versions for maintaining their legacy operating systems) will still be able to receive protection updates (despite having no application updates on those legacy send-off versions).  Examples include Avast and Kaspersky where they actually provide links to such legacy send-off software versions, complete with instructions, disclaimers and such.  So why can't MB take an effort to provide similar treatment to the loyal customers, remains a question.  Maybe they didn't want to try enough??

Perhaps one possible reason, is with the people (and their mindsets), who only yearn to move things to the newest, the baddest etc. etc. without considering any legacy compatibility and such.  It's a one-way street now.  This whole twitched tech trend is not just about "progress" but also greed, and such.  And with that, the losers are always the customers.

• Like 1

Hi, I just wanted to add that I am also having this issue.  I use 2.2.1 still and my database hasn't updated since 5.16.08.   I figured it was an internal issue since many other forums have reported this problem once in a while over several years.  I'm just hoping that the databases or servers are being moved and are not being completely discontinued.  I do love my 2.2.1, but mostly because I don't like paying subscription rates for a program that I used to just be able to buy once.  

• Root Admin
On 5/24/2022 at 6:53 AM, anon743 said:

It turns out that no it would not fix your issue in this case as it appears to be a back-end issue on our part, but that does not invalidate that there are many issues on your computer that performing some basic maintenance would help improve performance.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, anon743 said:

......... treenz, maybe you can consider migrating to the next major legacy version, v3.5.1, to see if things may improve at your side? .......

I'm a bit reluctant to do that based on my experience yesterday with the android version 3.10.1.84, which wouldn't get a database over WiFi but updated on 4G. If I try that on computers I might find no database at all rather than the out of date ones I currently have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

It turns out that no it would not fix your issue in this case as it appears to be a back-end issue on our part, but that does not invalidate that there are many issues on your computer that performing some basic maintenance would help improve performance.

It's funny to me how "staff" keeps saying that this "appears to be a back-end issue".

There are no apparent back-end issues that last this long, highly doubt that any networking engineer would be grasping at straws to solve a trivial issue, when instead this has all the hallmarks of a sneaky pseudo-planned-obsolescence from MB.

There is no back-end issue, v2.2 won't get any new updated unless MB caves in to older customers' demands, which I highly doubt. Kind of pathetic when you think about it, although unsure what the agenda is.

Again, MB having some major back-end issue that only affects the legacy versions is laughable as a coping mechanism.

Letting history be our guide, sudden, arbitrary and enormous discontinuances is not how Malwarebytes Corp. has treated its clients. A polite business statement, giving ample notice, would have preceded such an important change. All of us wish a pithy statement could explain the proprietary aspects of this issue. Please keep the faith.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Edited by 1PW
  • Like 1

The fact that there are so many still using this version tells of users dedication to Malwarebytes security, and as such I'm sure most would have upgraded if they could do so. The reasons they can't are many and varied and it would be a sad day if Malwarebytes was to lose clients because they are unable to solve this problem.

I'm hoping that they will still be pursuing a fix, but realistically it may take longer for a response in these trying times.

2 hours ago, treenz said:

The fact that there are so many still using this version tells of users dedication to Malwarebytes security, and as such I'm sure most would have upgraded if they could do so. The reasons they can't are many and varied and it would be a sad day if Malwarebytes was to lose clients because they are unable to solve this problem.

I'm hoping that they will still be pursuing a fix, but realistically it may take longer for a response in these trying times.

As member janonrawr has mentioned in his post, "I do not like the resource usage of 3 or 4" which I must agree on version 3.  Having briefly tried out v3.5.1 I ended up reverting to v2.2.1 for a more stable system on my side.  But given this circumstance, if eventually I (as well as many others) am forced to migrate to v3.5.1 then God knows how the entire desktop computing experience can be seriously hampered (esp. since I still need to maintain an older OS).

Meanwhile cryptz's comments regarding update server change/deprecation/etc. are highly credible.  The information provided (via the process "hacking" routine) does not (and should not) lie.

Seriously though, if customers' experience on newer versions (say, at least 3.5.1) were that positive then why would some insist on sticking to the older version?  Also the way on how MB has evolved and changed in its products, has not resulted in the liking of many, such as no more lifetime licenses but instead subscription-based purchases.  And then there are further issues with even newer versions which I'd rather not discuss here (as I don't want to sway off topic).

• Root Admin

The cause is due to a recent build certificate that needed to be updated for all of our current software. The older versions of the software don't support adding the new certificate.

We're sorry, but as has been explained before the 2.x, versions of the software have all reached End of Life. If you have a license and wish to continue to use Malwarebytes you'll need to use a newer version of the product.

Malwarebytes Product Lifecycle policy
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039022993-Malwarebytes-Product-Lifecycle-policy

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Product Lifecycle
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038521734-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-Product-Lifecycle

Thank  you

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The cause is due to a recent build certificate that needed to be updated for all of our current software. The older versions of the software don't support adding the new certificate.

We're sorry, but as has been explained before the 2.x, versions of the software have all reached End of Life. If you have a license and wish to continue to use Malwarebytes you'll need to use a newer version of the product.

Boo.