Windows Powershell.exe scanned as riskware

Go to solution Solved by MKDB,

hello, my cmd keeps opening and when it closes it also closes my google chrome, when chrome re opens it has added a weird looking "Properties" extension. it has caused me to switch to firefox.

I am using the Malwarebytes Premium Trial and it has repeatedly told me that windows powershell.exe is riskware and i dont know how to get rid of it, i will include a scan of  my computer below, please help, thank you.

scan.txt

Hello @trajik  and  :welcome:

My name is MKDB and I will assist you.

• Please follow the steps in the given order and post back the logs as an attachment when ready. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus or other security software first. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • As English is not my native language, please do not use slang or idoms. It may be hard for me to understand.

I will guide you along on looking for potential malware. Lets keep these principles as we go along.

• Searching, detecting and removing malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient. Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Cracked or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.

Step 1

Please download the suitable version of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it to your desktop: 32bit | 64bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Check the box in front of Shortcut.txt.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • FRST will create three logs (FRST.txt + Addition.txt + Shortcut.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach these logfiles to your next reply.

No need to say "sorry"! Due to the time difference, we have to be patient. 😉

Thank you for those logfiles @trajik.

We will use a FRST-Fix and Adwcleaner first.

Step 1

• Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the location where you ran FRST from ( C:\Users\howtr\Downloads\ ).

Note: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

• Close all open programs and save your work.
  • Run FRST again.
  • Press the Fix button only once and wait. Please be patient.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
  • FRST will create one log now (Fixlog.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach this logfile to your next reply.

Step 2

Please download AdwCleaner and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click to run it.
  • Accept the End User License Agreement.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, if items are found please click Next / Quarantine.
  • Maybe your PC will be rebooted, AdwCleaner will be opened automatically.
  • Click View Log File.
  • AdwCleaner will open one log (AdwCleaner[Cxx].txt).
  • Please attach the log to your next reply.

fixlist.txt

• Solution

We do another FRST-Fix (this should finish in a few seconds and will remove the malicious extension) and a new scan with FRST for check-up.

Keep on the good work @trajik. 😉

Step 1

• Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the location where you ran FRST from ( C:\Users\howtr\Downloads\ ).

Note: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

• Close all open programs and save your work.
  • Run FRST again.
  • Press the Fix button only once and wait. Please be patient.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
  • FRST will create one log now (Fixlog.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach this logfile to your next reply.

Step 2

• Run FRST again.
  • Do not change any settings.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • FRST will create two logs now (FRST.txt + Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach these logfiles to your next reply.

fixlist.txt

Good job @trajik.

How is your system running? A final check with MSS.

Step 1

The Microsoft Safety Scanner (MSS) is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

• The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft.
  • Please let me know the results of this scan.
  • Run a Quick Scan.
  • The log is named MSERT.log.
  • The log will be at%SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

• Please attach that log with your next reply.

• Like 1

Only one setting was restored, nothing to worry about. 🙂

Thank you for your cooperation, we're done @trajik.

Final Step

• Right-Click on FRST64 and choose Rename.
  • Rename FRST64 into Uninstall.
  • Run Uninstall.
  • FRST and it’s files/folders will be deleted.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restarts normally.

A few final recommendations:

1. Recommend using a Password Manager for all websites, etc. that require a password. Never use the same password on more than one site.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/
  2. Make sure you're backing up your files https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/
  3. Keep all software up to date - PatchMyPC - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download
  4. Keep your Operating System up to date and current at all times - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2
  5. Further tips to help protect your computer data and improve your privacy: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/ 
  6. Please consider installing the following Content Blockers for your Web browsers if you haven't done so already. This will help improve overall security

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

Further reading if you like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes.

• Like 1

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you