Question on-screen display MS Safety Scanner msert during initial phase

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

The Safety Scanner has twice reported in its log ( which is the sole source of determining a "actual" threat) that there are no threats

Results Summary:
----------------
No infection found.

Disregard any on-screen displays that may or may not have been displayed during the scan run.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Do a custom scan with Microsoft Defender Antivirus :

Just want to do a visual check in Windows Security to see (visually) that Microsoft Defender is on , and to do a Custom scan.

From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

Look to see that Microsoft Defender is shown & available for use.

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" .

You should click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.  Watch & wait for that to complete.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options.   Click that & select CUSTOM scan & then pick the C drive  & have it go forward.

Once it has started the scan phase, you can go take a long break.   Let me know the results.

Thanks for your answer. I will do the scan now but I think you missed that last of the msert.log or maybe I have misunderstood something:

Microsoft Safety Scanner v1.367, (build 1.367.87.0)
Started On Wed May 18 23:13:18 2022

Engine: 1.1.19202.3
Signatures: 1.367.87.0
MpGear: 1.1.16330.1
Run Mode: Interactive Graphical Mode

Scan Results:
-------------
Threat Detected: VirTool:Win32/DefenderTamperingRestore and Removed!
  Action: Remove, Result: 0x00000000
    regkeyvalue://hklm\software\microsoft\windows defender\\DisableAntiSpyware
        SigSeq: 0x0000055555C57273

Results Summary:
----------------
Found VirTool:Win32/DefenderTamperingRestore and Removed!
Successfully Submitted MAPS Report
Successfully Submitted Heartbeat Report
Microsoft Safety Scanner Finished On Wed May 18 23:53:37 2022

Return code: 6 (0x6)

I did a scan with Microsoft Defender Antivirus and no infections. I also did a new scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner and during the scan there were 15 files infected but at the end no files were infected. I know that you said that I should disregard any on-screen displays that may or may not have been displayed during the scan run but do you have an explanation why the program would show that during the scan or should I just forget about it and sleep well at night.

• Solution

Forget about the on-screen display that shows before the end of the run of MS Safety Scanner !!!!  Forget it. Ignore it. Get some rest ! 

By the way, about what you "saw" on intermediate displays of the Microsoft Safety Scanner,  I would like you to review the remarks by AndyDavid about all that on this Microsoft community venue https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/326108/mar-1721-msert-detects-items-during-scan-but-at-en.html

Also, the post by EricYin of Microsoft  ( just below that section)

if nothing reported in %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log, that means no infections.

It's only the final report that matters.  For the gory details, see  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanner-protect_scanning-windows_10/what-is-wrong-with-the-microsoft-safety-scanner/27c95df9-7d49-4d02-b734-bcb16495cfc3?messageId=e199de56-9a50-4cc5-a37a-3a7f2708b093

See also https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-troubleshoot-an-error-when-you-run-the-microsoft-safety-scanner-6cd5faa1-f7b4-afd2-85c7-9bed02860f1c

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Question on-screen display MS Safety Scanner msert during initial phase

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you