Weird problems trying to install the latest version

I am a licensed user. On two different computers I tried to update to 4.5.8 and when the first installation process says it is finished it opens a second process + installation dialog and it gets stuck at 5%. I downloaded the latest Support Tool, ran 'Clean', downloaded the latest installation file, and tried installing from scratch. Same thing happens and nothing gets installed.

I've attached the logs gathered by the Support Tool after the failed installation attempt on one of the computers.

1117610382_Screenshot2022-05-04190917.thumb.jpg.23a9fae37de8006ce18dda071f3da0ab.jpg

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

@pithy_prolix

Please try the following. Open an Elevated Admin command prompt and copy / paste the following and press the Enter key. You should get a success message.

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d 32 /f

Then restart the computer and try installing the program again.

This will set the IP preference to use IPV4 instead of IPV6 as recommended by Microsoft without actually disabling IPV6

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

@Porthos

Thanks for the response.

I followed your instructions. Now it gets to 19% and a dialog pops up "Installation has failed ..." and asks to restart and run the installer again, which I did and same thing happens, i.e. 19% - same failure dialog.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I installing it to the default path but on my D: drive.

• Root Admin

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and uninstall the following

Bonjour (device discovery protocol not required for Windows except in rare cases)
CCleaner (computer experts no longer recommend this program)

Your DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1

Please consider changing your default DNS Server settings. Please choose one provider only

DNS is what lets users connect to websites using domain names instead of IP addresses

• Google Public DNS: IPv4   8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   IPv6   2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844
  • Cloudflare: IPv4   1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1   IPv6   2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
  • OpenDNS: IPv4   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  IPv6  2620:119:35::35 and 2620:119:53::53
  • DNSWATCH: IPv4   84.200.69.80 and 84.200.70.40   IPv6  2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f and 2001:1608:10:25::9249:d69b

The Ultimate Guide to Changing Your DNS Server
https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

Here is a YouTube video on Changing DNS settings if needed

It looks like your C: volume is out of space. This can greatly impact the speed and performance of Windows negatively by being that low on disk space.
I would highly recommend that you investigate ways to either increase the disk size or possibly replace the drive with a larger hard drive.

ATTENTION: System Restore is disabled (Total:57.13 GB) (Free:3.09 GB) (5%)

You have a music program that appears to be faulting in the Event Logs and may need some type of repair or fix.

https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi

This is part of your Networking and it's faulting as well.

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/04/2022 06:54:25 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Description: The Energy Server Service queencreek service terminated with the following error:
Debugger got control C.

Error: (05/04/2022 06:49:18 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )
Description: The Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Zero Configuration Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Windows Defender is also alerting that the computer is missing updates

Date: 2022-05-02 21:44:04
Description:
Microsoft Defender Antivirus Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: Network Inspection System
Error Code: 0x8007041d
Error description: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Reason: The system is missing updates that are required for running Network Inspection System.  Install the required updates and restart the device.

Are you using this Print monitor?

HKLM\...\Print\Monitors\ImagePrinter Pro Port: C:\WINDOWS\system32\img_localmon.dll [24576 2017-07-20] (Copyright (c) 2011 Code Industry LTD) [File not signed]

Edge Notifications: HKU\S-1-5-21-1787615642-2698772764-796951769-1007 -> hxxps://www.facebook.com

CHR Notifications: Default -> hxxps://calendar.google.com; hxxps://community.wd.com; hxxps://discoverus.webpush.us2.freshchat.com; hxxps://drive.google.com; hxxps://gcx.aliexpress.com; hxxps://messages.google.com; hxxps://voice.google.com; hxxps://webchat.freenode.net; hxxps://www.facebook.com; hxxps://www.fountainpennetwork.com; hxxps://www.youtube.com

Are you sure you want this enabled or allowed? Push Notifications on your browser appear to be enabled.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Turn notifications on or off - Google Chrome

Web Push notifications in Firefox

• Root Admin

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

11 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and uninstall the following

Bonjour (device discovery protocol not required for Windows except in rare cases)
CCleaner (computer experts no longer recommend this program)

Please consider changing your default DNS Server settings. Please choose one provider only

DNS is what lets users connect to websites using domain names instead of IP addresses

• Google Public DNS: IPv4   8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   IPv6   2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844
  • Cloudflare: IPv4   1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1   IPv6   2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
  • OpenDNS: IPv4   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  IPv6  2620:119:35::35 and 2620:119:53::53
  • DNSWATCH: IPv4   84.200.69.80 and 84.200.70.40   IPv6  2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f and 2001:1608:10:25::9249:d69b

https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

It looks like your C: volume is out of space. This can greatly impact the speed and performance of Windows negatively by being that low on disk space.
I would highly recommend that you investigate ways to either increase the disk size or possibly replace the drive with a larger hard drive.

ATTENTION: System Restore is disabled (Total:57.13 GB) (Free:3.09 GB) (5%)

You have a music program that appears to be faulting in the Event Logs and may need some type of repair or fix.

https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi

This is part of your Networking and it's faulting as well.

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/04/2022 06:54:25 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Description: The Energy Server Service queencreek service terminated with the following error:
Debugger got control C.

Error: (05/04/2022 06:49:18 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )
Description: The Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Zero Configuration Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Windows Defender is also alerting that the computer is missing updates

Date: 2022-05-02 21:44:04
Description:
Microsoft Defender Antivirus Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: Network Inspection System
Error Code: 0x8007041d
Error description: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Reason: The system is missing updates that are required for running Network Inspection System.  Install the required updates and restart the device.

Are you using this Print monitor?

HKLM\...\Print\Monitors\ImagePrinter Pro Port: C:\WINDOWS\system32\img_localmon.dll [24576 2017-07-20] (Copyright (c) 2011 Code Industry LTD) [File not signed]

Edge Notifications: HKU\S-1-5-21-1787615642-2698772764-796951769-1007 -> hxxps://www.facebook.com

CHR Notifications: Default -> hxxps://calendar.google.com; hxxps://community.wd.com; hxxps://discoverus.webpush.us2.freshchat.com; hxxps://drive.google.com; hxxps://gcx.aliexpress.com; hxxps://messages.google.com; hxxps://voice.google.com; hxxps://webchat.freenode.net; hxxps://www.facebook.com; hxxps://www.fountainpennetwork.com; hxxps://www.youtube.com

Are you sure you want this enabled or allowed? Push Notifications on your browser appear to be enabled.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Turn notifications on or off - Google Chrome

Web Push notifications in Firefox

I'm confused. Are these things necessary to get Malwarebyte installed, or general advice, or a mixture? I've had no problems updating Malwarebytes until recently and I haven't changed anything on this machine for a long time, other than Wiindows updates.

11 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

I have no files called FRST or FRST64. I do have FRSTEnglish.exe in my download folder and a folder c:\FRST\. What are you referring to, please?

19 minutes ago, pithy_prolix said:

I do have FRSTEnglish.exe in my download folder

In your case that is what the instructions refer too. That is the folder where the fixlist.txt needs to be.

27 minutes ago, pithy_prolix said:

Are these things necessary to get Malwarebyte installed, or general advice, or a mixture?

It is more of a mixture.

• Like 1

• Root Admin

You can get an SSD hard drive twice the current disk size for around $20

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=ssd+2.5+inch&N=8000 4131&Order=1

Personally, though. I would not recommend an OS drive smaller than 256GB to give the OS room to grow as well as allow you to store a decent amount of self created data or downloaded data.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I don't see Bonjour listed in Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Personally, though. I would not recommend an OS drive smaller than 256GB to give the OS room to grow as well as allow you to store a decent amount of self created data or downloaded data.

There's a significantly larger D: drive - the main problem is software that will not allow installation on drives other than C:. Regardless, I've been delaying replacing the OS drive because of the hassle of reinstalling the OS, software, etc.

15 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

attached

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

Thank you for the log. It was able to clean up the proxy and was also able to find and repair some corruption in Windows operating system files.

Here is the entry for Bonjour (it has an entry in the Registry to not show that it's installed)

Bonjour  3.1.0.1   Apple Inc.  20181016    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\        C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{56DDDFB8-7F79-4480-89D5-25E1F52AB28F}v3.1.0.1\         MsiExec.exe /X{56DDDFB8-7F79-4480-89D5-25E1F52AB28F}        MsiExec.exe /X{56DDDFB8-7F79-4480-89D5-25E1F52AB28F}       1 

Please go ahead and restart the computer one more time. Then run the Farbar program again with Admin rights and click on the SCAN button and attach back both new logs

FRST.txt
Addition.txt

image.png

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

On 5/6/2022 at 11:26 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Here is the entry for Bonjour (it has an entry in the Registry to not show that it's installed)

Bonjour  3.1.0.1   Apple Inc.  20181016    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\        C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{56DDDFB8-7F79-4480-89D5-25E1F52AB28F}v3.1.0.1\         MsiExec.exe /X{56DDDFB8-7F79-4480-89D5-25E1F52AB28F}        MsiExec.exe /X{56DDDFB8-7F79-4480-89D5-25E1F52AB28F}       1 

Thanks for that. There must be some issue with how it is registered. I'll have to explore how to remove it.

The two files requested are attached.

Addition.txt FRST.txt

• Root Admin

The logs also indicate that you did not change your DNS settings. Again, I would highly recommend that  you try changing

37 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please run this updated FIXLIST.txt file as before with Farbar and click on the FIX button. When done post back the new FIXLOG.txt file.

fixlist.txt 1.26 kB · 1 download

Thanks

Thanks. I've done a reboot after running Farbar:FIX since it is requested at the end of the log file.

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and you should now see Bonjour in the list to uninstall.

You should also see one called "App Explorer" see if you can uninstall that one too.

Please run the Farbar program again and click on SCAN and attach back both new logs

• FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt

image.png

• Root Admin

The computer continues to have multiple Events being logged, such as the following.

Error: (05/08/2022 02:36:16 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: ZeroConfigService.exe, version: 19.60.0.0, time stamp: 0x58d16fa6
Faulting module name: ZeroConfigService.exe, version: 19.60.0.0, time stamp: 0x58d16fa6
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000022af80
Faulting process id: 0x1208
Faulting application start time: 0x01d862ab4f37eac3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZeroConfigService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZeroConfigService.exe
Report Id: 86a4c8c2-d212-4748-a18d-24ed8d22ecfb
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Error: (05/08/2022 01:10:04 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Perflib) (EventID: 1023) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Windows cannot load the extensible counter DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysmain.dll" (Win32 error code 126). Error 126 indicates The specified module could not be found.

Error: (05/08/2022 02:36:18 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )

Error: (05/08/2022 02:17:21 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Debugger got control C.

Error: (05/08/2022 02:14:14 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig) (EventID: 10003) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped unexpectedly.

Module Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IntelIHVRouter04.dll

These are NETWORKING issues, which could very easily explain why you're having issues with downloading, installing, or updating our Malwarebytes program.

You can download and run the Full installer, but with continued networking issues it will probably continue to have an issue. You need to look at fixing the Errors in the Event Logs, or if you plan on getting a new hard drive and reinstalling Windows that would be a good choice too.

MB4 Offline Installer
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

I downloaded the offline installer, installed, and ran a scan successfully.

FYI - I previously did the same thing - used the offline installer - on the other computer that would not update and it worked as well, but without having to go through these troubleshooting steps. I haven't had any other issues for the past few months with either of these computers and the Malwarebytes update issue started happening at the same time with both. We did change our ISP around the same time but it is hard for me to imagine that could be the issue.

Please note that Malwarebytes was reporting a successful installation (as in the screenshot in my original post) when the installation actually failed. And automatically launching a second installation process is something that should have never happened. These are clearly issues with the Malwarebytes installer.

Thank you for pointing out the networking errors - I will take a look. 

• Root Admin

As long as the network is working well there shouldn't be an issue keeping the program updated.

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)

1. Recommend using a Password Manager for all websites, etc. that require a password. Never use the same password on more than one site.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/
  2. Make sure you're backing up your files https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/
  3. Keep all software up to date - PatchMyPC - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download
  4. Keep your Operating System up to date and current at all times - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2
  5. Further tips to help protect your computer data and improve your privacy: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/ 
  6. Please consider installing the following Content Blockers for your Web browsers if you haven't done so already. This will help improve overall security

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

Further reading if you like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you