(was) Unable to install MalwareBytes 4.5.8 update

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello @MarcBellegarde and welcome back:

While you are waiting for an expert/staffer to reply, please download/run/reply with the results from the Malwarebytes Support Tool's grab for analysis:

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool.
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file.
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation.
  • Run the MBST Support Tool.
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool GUI, click Advanced.
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather LogsA status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine.
  • Soon a zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

• 2 weeks later...

@MarcBellegarde Hi. If it is just a stall-out at the update for Malwarebytes, I can guide you to a new setup. Let me know if you are interested. Tell me, when did you submit a support ticket ? By the way, in order to help you, a Gather Logs procedure just like @1PW listed above is the very first needed thing. and, are you indicating that you had no luck in getting and using the Support tool and to do the "Gather Logs" ???

• The file you attached is not what is needed.
Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

@MarcBellegarde 

I would like to get  a diagnostic report in order to review & diagnose.
Specifically the FRST Farbar diagnostic report.  It is safe to get & use. Be very sure you SAVE it first.
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039025013-Run-Farbar-Recovery-Scan-Tool-to-gather-logs

Attach FRST.txt + Addition.txt with your reply.  You may if you wish, ZIP the 2 into a zip file & then attach.
{ just please do not copy, paste their contents in main body of reply box here.)

The last page of the PDF file mentions you have more than 1 support Ticket with Support ?  If so, kindly send me a personal message with all the Ticket numbers so that I can give a heads up to the manager of that team. Making multiple tickets is not a good thing to do. In any event, it typically takes support a few days to get to the order of the help queue ( going by oldest one un-answered first). Plus Saturday & Sunday are not fully staffed.

• Know that this situation on this machine can be cured, as long as we get initial reports for initial review.

@MarcBellegarde
I hope you are reading all of this.
One of the things you ought to observe is to de-couple the license or renewal issue from the main issue of stall out or failed upgrade.
And remember that your notes do say that the system had indicated a problem with internet connectivity.
Please do not make changes on your own. Kindly do provide the reports I aksed for. We can manage to get your system upgraded to Malwarebytes version 4.5.9 ( which is the latest).

Edited by Maurice Naggar
added notes

@MarcBellegarde I do not intend to bombard with posts. But, I do notice the ZIP file that looks to be dated from 1 May. That set does not have the FRST reports. And that is exactly what I need.

• Question for confirmation: This system runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit ?
  • The systems appears to have the prior Malwarebytes version 4.5.4.168
Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
But I am unable to run FRST Farbar even in administrator mode or safe mode.
Until then I had no difficulty in updating MB.
All the MB programs I try to run grind for a long time, but without displaying any error message.
Now, since 3 months, It's too long, too complicated, it takes time.
I will let my current license run, which I will not renew.

Good morning. Is there any ""error message"" from Windows when you tried to run FRST tool? It would help to have any error message. I will work with you to see about getting some sort of report. I believe and practice persistence.
This is just a tool to generate an information / diagnostic report.
RSIT (Random's System Information Tool)
Please download RSITx64 by random/random... save it to your desktop.
http://images.malwareremoval.com/random/RSITx64.exe
Double click on RSITx64.exe to start it. If Windows UAC prompts you, please allow it.
Please read the disclaimer... click on Continue.
RSIT will start running. When done... 2 logs files...will be produced.
The first one, "log.txt", <<will be maximized... the second one, "info.txt", <<will be minimized.
Please attach both... "log.txt" and "info.txt", files with your next reply.

Good morning

I managed to install FRST on my computer. I don't know why but it took 5 minutes. In short, I succeeded.

On the other hand for the update of MB ... after 6 long minutes of waiting, I have the error message:
"An error occurred while downloading. Please check your internet connection and try again".

I therefore send you the 2 FRST log files.

I will also try with RSIT.

Thanks for your help. But given the crazy trouble I had to download FRST, I think my problem comes from my PC and not from MB.

Ah, i have Windows 10; 64 bits.

Thank you so much.

FRST.txt Addition.txt

Quick note: It is not unheard of that FRST would take several minutes to run and finish. I always recommend "infinite patience" in cases like this. I will keep guiding you. Just do not do changes on your own without my guidance. Tell me, at your next chance, Are you able to start ( to launch) Malwarebytes ?

You may go ahead and run the RSITx64  as per my reply at https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/286191-unable-to-install-malwarebytes-458-update/?do=findComment&comment=1514845

I think I spotted a possible source of likely friction - - - you have set your hardware router as the DHCP Nameserver.  stick with me.

Bravo ! pour maintenant 

DNS (service de nom de domaine) est ce qui permet aux ordinateurs des utilisateurs de se connecter à des sites Web en utilisant des noms de domaine au lieu d'adresses IP
Cette machine est configurée pour utiliser les serveurs DNS : 192.168.1.254
Cela doit changer
Veuillez envisager de modifier les paramètres par défaut de votre serveur DNS. Veuillez choisir un seul fournisseur. 

• Google Public DNS: IPv4   8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   IPv6   2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844
  • Cloudflare: IPv4   1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1   IPv6   2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
  • OpenDNS: IPv4   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  IPv6  2620:119:35::35 and 2620:119:53::53
  • DNSWATCH: IPv4   84.200.69.80 and 84.200.70.40   IPv6  2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f and 2001:1608:10:25::9249:d69b

The Ultimate Guide to Changing Your DNS Server
https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

Here is a YouTube video on Changing DNS settings if needed

• Solution

Here are the next steps I would like us to take. If you have a problem in doing one of them, please Stop and ask me first. Same if you have a glitch on any of them.
Please close as many other screens and apps you have opened so that there is a simpler, smaller amount of other app-screens.
[ 2 ]
Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use thuis guide https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

[ 3 ]
Locate the orange icon for Avast on the Windows taskbar, then right-click to open the settings for the antivirus Avast.
Then select by clicking on "Disable until computer is restarted".
We need for Avast to not be active during these steps.

[ 4 ]
Now find the icon for Malwarebytes on the Taskbar. Do a RIGHT-click on it and select "Quit Malwarebytes".

[ 5 ]

1. Download the very latest offline Malwarebytes for Windows installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

2. Now, go to where the file was saved.    

Right-click on the mb4-setup-consumer-4.5.9.198-x.....exe and select Run as Administrator and allow it to go forward.
3. After the Malwarebytes for Windows is done with the setup.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center
Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to
"Windows Security Center"
Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

all the way to the Left for Off setting.
Close Malwarebytes when done.   This setting adjustment does not affect the real-time protections of Malwarebytes.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to (was) Unable to install MalwareBytes 4.5.8 update