BSOD system in a loop

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

I was asked to update malwarebytes.  I said yes.  After the update I restarted and got the BSOD.  Went to safe mode.  Selected remove antivirus program.  I did. Windows restarted fine.  Went to remove malwarebytes in windows, unable to.  Selected malwarebytes removal program on their website, ran.  Restarted and got BSOD again.  Unable to get to safe mode now.  Dell said remove the battery from the laptop.  If that doesn’t work, refomat and start over.  Need help!  Windows BSOD says “tried to execute a non execute memory.  What failed: imfilter.sys

Hello :welcome: 

I regret your trouble. Tell me, is this on a Windows 10 ? or is it on Windows 11 ?
and, do you have another working machine that runs Windows?  where you could do downloads and saves.
and, do you have a re-usable spare USB-flash-thumb drive of at least 8 GB ? that can be reformatted to make a Windows Media Creation tool

Do you have a full Backup of this system from before this issue happened?
and, when you got the so-called BSOD did you write down the full STOP code and description that is displayed on-screen ?

What you may try one-time:
If the pc has externally connected devices,
Disconnect any printers, (external) fax machines, copy machines from this computer.
Fully power off the computer.
Wait for like one minute.
Press and keep holding the SHIFT-key on keyboard as you press the Power ON key  ( and hold the SHIFT-key all along) as Windows is loading up and see whether now Windows does a normal load-up.
Hoping that works.
In case it does not, I would like you to report the STOP code and description.

This is on windows 11.  I have another windows machine but it’s old.  Been trying to update windows for the last 4-5 hrs but it’s so slow.  I think it’s infected with malware.  Not going to touch it.  Don’t have a 8+ gb thumb drive but I can get one.  I plan to.  I don’t have a full backup.  I wrote down the description that is displayed. “ Windows tried to execute a non execute memory.” what failed: imfilter.sys

I contacted Dell.  They had me disconnect the battery on the laptop. And do a hard reset (press the power button with no power).  I did but the BSOD loop was still there. There was no stop code only contact www.windows.com/stopcode. what failed: imfilter.sys

I think there is a program I can download on a usb that will get me on the c: drive with limited function (I think it’s similar to safe mode).  Now I can’t get to a windows command prompt.  I saw it on microsoft’s website.  The only thing reported on the BSOD was: Windows tried to execute a non execute memory.” what failed: imfilter.sys

Will keep trying.  The old computer is sooo slow.

I tried the power off and hold the shift key but no luck.  Dell goes through a preboot before it hands over to windows.  The only thing I can do during the preboot is run a hardware diagnostics or control the bios.

Thanks for the note. Do get the USB drive. You will need a working computer. I will relay to you how to make the Media Creation tool and then how to start the machine using it; in speaicl way.  and from there to get ( try to) get a set of reports.  It will not be a cure all, by any stretch.

However, if you have nothing worth keeping on this pc, let me know that.

This machine will not start Windows because of the issue on 

imfilter.sys

Therefore, leave this machine alone at this point. power it off.

On the other Windows machine - consider to create a new help-topic  ( separate from this one here) after you first do the steps listed on this Pinned Topic ( at top_

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/9573-im-infected-what-do-i-do-now/#comment-46166

Good morning. Alright. Just need 1 USB-flash-drive. 

Study and do the steps on this special guide at this link
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/272765-run-farbar-recovery-scan-tool-frst-from-recovery-mode-on-windows-10/

We need to get & save the Media Creation tool for Windows 10
Do the run to make it on a USB-flash-thumb drive
Then get FRST64.exe onto that same USB
Follow the directions on article to Boot the system off that USB-flash
then run a report run with FRST64
Insure the run completes.
When done, the FRST.txt + Addition.txt  will be on that USB-flash
Then remove the USB from the slot
Then Restart the pc back to normal mode
Then upload ( attach ) the FRST.txt + Addition.txt  into a new reply here on this topic.
This should provide me a useful report that I hope to use to help you along.

Hi. Could you please be very very detailed as to just where & how that shows up ?   I mean, list the steps you did and point out just where that "message" cropped up. Also, be careful here. This is not doing a "install". The first steps layed out where to download from Microsoft and make a USB with the Media Creation Tool.  That only makes a usable USB.

I got a copy of the usb with the 2 files on it, ran on infected machine ( changed settings in bios), got to windows setup, and received the message posted.  Was able to get to a dot prompt in, I believe, safe mode.  I ran sfc \scannow and found no problems. I think I can get to a dot prompt again.  Can you run programs at a dot prompt?  Was able to get a 2nd usb from my slow computer ( didn’t take that long). Got both files on it.  Said I needed to remove the usb.  Are you saying the windows setup I was running not a usable program to install windows?  Confused.  

The X:\sources readout on the command-prompt widows IS the Windows Recovery Environmant.  I need you to get back to that !!

Assuming that on your machine that the USB is drive E, here is what I need you to do, at the X:\sources command line

E{

E:\frst64.exe

and tap Enter-key.  Hopefully the frst64.exe is located at the root of the USB   ( if not we will need to re-group.  so if no go, then Stop and let me know ! )

•  When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.  And be very sure to TICK the box for Addition.txt
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool is run
  • Have patience since the run may take something like 10 or so minutes  (less depending on your hardware speed)
  • Close Notepad IF those show up on Notepad.
  • Just please Attach the 2 files FRST.txt +Addition.txt  with your next reply.

You will need to shuttle the USB to a working computer, from which to upload those 2 report files  (attach) in reply here.

These are only reports. They are not "a fix" for the issue at hand. BUT they are important for my review so that I can guide you.

Hello. Thank you. The following is a special procedure to be done when you are at the X:\SOURCES command prompt on your Windows 11 system Though we start by saving a special script file to the USB G: drive.

This custom script is for  1yellowbird  only / for this machine only.

• Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   G:\   folder on the USB  ( that is, the root of the USB drive)

Fixlist.txt       <<< - - - - -

We will use FRST64  on the USB to run a custom script.    

NOTE-1:  This script will  attempt to enable the Windows Boot Manager to display boot options. It will do a mini-cleanup so that CCleaner is not auto-started. It will remove auto-start of a Chrome browser silent startup. It will run the Windows System File Checker to try to check the system files on C drive ( the operating system drive).

Now, once after you have saved the Fixlist, I need you to be back on the Windows Recovery Environment off the USB device, at the X:\sources prompt

Now launch FRST64 by typing into the command prompt

G:\frst64.exe

If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

You will see a green progress bar start.

When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

You will see the job finish rather quickly. There will be no reboot. So, after it has finished, remove the USB from the drive.

Now type in 

EXIT

and tap Enter.

see if the machine reboots and Restarts the system.

Once it has restarted, look on your keyboard and be ready.  at the Boot Manager display

tap the F8 function key so that you get to a menu list on a blue scren with a list of options.

On the blue list screen, on keyboard press the 4 numeric key on keyboard ( or else the F4 function key) so that you select SAFE mode for the next Windows start.

Once in Safe mode, let me know.

For later on:

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt at opportune time later,. No hurry on this if the run has succeeded. We can wait until after you are all finished.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

We need to get on the Windows Recovery environment and get to the X:\sources ( like you had done before) and then run FRST64 off the USB.
We need to complete that task as I listed before. Can you kindly insure to do that ?
Of course your personal appointment & health come first.  ( I am in no rush of any sort).