FrozenKeyboard Android at startup. Any letter on right minimises screen!

I may have aready posted here so apoligies if so, admin can remove ??. Android Something called FrozenKeyboard has installed on the startup, is there any download to clear it available and if so, how can I install it ?. The screen minimises if any (or some) of the keyboard characters are pressed (i,oj, k l n&m) at least. Could I use voice commands. Any help appreciated. Cheers. ColinCB.

• Staff

Hi @ColinCB,

Just to get this straight, so the default keyboard on your mobile device is something called FrozenKeyboard?  Is this it? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ninja.thiha.frozenkeyboard2

Regardless, you won't be able to remove this keyboard until you have installed a keyboard to replace it.  I would install Gboard, Google's keyboard that comes default on many Android devices: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

You may have to set Gboard as the default app after installing. Settings > Apps > Default apps.  Then you'll be able to uninstall FrozenKeyboard.

Hi Nathan, thanks for coming back on this. No - this isn't any official keyboard but a bit of malware. The only place it shows it's icon face is on startup. It's an Android face, scowling in red, with crossed bones beneath.  After a factory reset, is still on the loading list, last line, in colour. I don't know for sure how to get back to the startup sequence, but somehow I need to get to it and delete the malware program (it's really very small) before the startup goes past and it's reinitiated. I think it intercepts the keyboard initialisation and substitues a minimise command for the letters- u,i,o and a couple below on each of the two lines. I'm no programmer and I'm using a spare phone anyway..The infected one is a Lenovo phone via Amazon, about 6 months old. Cheers CCB.

Hi Nathan, no go, If I press the power button screen asks for reboot, etc., but at the 'shut down' command the OK button is not working, only the cancel. I cannot get into Google Play to download a new replacement keyboard (gboard) as advised, when I get to the password 'i' as in Chris**** for my password, the keyboad minimises.... so - still snookered. Thanks for you help Nathan.... may have to scrap the phone yet... CCB.

• Staff

Hi @ColinCB,

On most Android devices you can enter safe mode more than one way.  Let's try this method:

Step 1: Press and hold the Power button and select Power Off to turn your device off.

Step 2: Press and hold the Power button to turn phone back on.

Step 3: Immediately when the phone turns back on (usually shows some kind of logo depending on phone, it shows GOOGLE logo for me) release the Power button and press and hold the Volume Down button.

Step 4: Keep holding it until your device boots up.

Step 5: You can let go when you see the words “Safe mode” in the bottom-left corner.

Once in, hopefully it's a different keyboard and then you change the keyboard default Settings > Apps > Default apps

If no other keyboard is installed, you should be able to install Gboard in safe mode.

And if all else fails and it's still the same crappy keyboard, try voice commands:  "Ok Google" -> "Install Gboard"

This voice command brought up Gboard in Google PLAY for me. 🤞  If it doesn't work in safe mode, maybe try in normal mode.

Hi Nathan, no go, If I press the power button screen asks for reboot, etc., but at the 'shut down' command the OK button is not working, only the cancel. I cannot get into Google Play to download a new replacement keyboard (gboard) as advised, when I get to the password 'i' as in Chris**** for my password, the keyboad minimises.... so - still snookered. Thanks for you help Nathan.... may have to scrap the phone yet... CCB.

Hi Nathan, still same - but I have managed to get into 'safe mode' then onto Play Store, but it's asking me for email, if I put in my usual email it will crash at the 'i' for gmail - can I try making a new email address ?, using only keyboard characters from the left of the keyboard??, if I can get into Playstore then can try downloading a new keyboard (gboard ?),  then will need to somehow delete the FrozenKeyboard ?? do youo think this is a goer?? Thanks Nathan... Are you in UK ? ccb

• Staff

Hi @ColinCB,

Alright, this isn't something I would typically do or recommend, but let's try grabbing GBoard from APKPure.  I checked the version to make sure it's legit.

https://apkpure.com/gboard-the-google-keyboard/com.google.android.inputmethod.latin/download?from=details

You'll have to allow installing from Unknown sources.  You can just turn this feature back off if this works.

Once you have GBoard installed, you can make it the default.  If FrozenKeyboard is a system app, you may not being able to remove.  However, you should be able to disable.

Hi Nathan, I've tried a couple of ways out of this.

Firstly followed the instuctions; going to settings, security/ allow install unknown apps, all OK, except the tickbox- after the tick, on 'confirm' the FrozenKeyboard app. minimises the screen (cancel works alongside it), so no go there.

Had a thought and changed the WiFi Huawei router password to avoid using any of the characters on the right (I, N, K and confirm button minimise !! 

Google Voice, doesn't seem to recognise anything I say after its first confirmation, but I will keep trying this.

Thanks again Nathan, may yet have to ditch the phone.

Cheers

ccb (here's a pic)...small - ehh ?

image.png.cbabe73afc4efb27ffcfe495f7f2c596.pngimage.png.c9f607ddcd5008be4ab47ade53043c21.png

• Staff

Hi @ColinCB,

Okay, so we can't connect to internet to download anything, correct?  You could download Gboard to a computer, then plug the computer into the phone, then in your notifications of the phone change the USB connect to transfer, and upload the Gboard to the Download folder.  You could then install Gboard from the Download folder.  You don't by chance have Malwarebytes installed the phone, do you

Hi Nathan - sorry to take up so much of your time. I had a very old 6-7inch  Android (10+y/o) which I had bought a seperate unbranded keyboard of the same size, charged it up and connected it via the micro-USB's plugs but the phone didn't recognise it.. (don't know how it originally connected to the old Android - dead Android - via wifi? has a blue light BUT that was WAY before Bluetooth ).If I could just find a way to direct connect  !!

Will give it a go (connecting W10 pc)  tomorrow.... Cheers. ccb.

image.png.02e81fa87fcf36b82f703ee4ca59bee6.png

,s;oehow ,+.

Hi Nathan, update, keyboard works but is a bit hit-n-miss to start, and I have to remember not to finger poke !!.  Got into apps., and deleted the FrozenKeyboard icon, but is hasn't changed the minimising - probably malware changed keyboard when it first installed (from a pre-installed or auto-installed app called Marshmallow - some sort of game, has same build nos, etc. don't believe in coincidences) deleted now.. Tried to get Mozilla Firefoxfrom Playstore, but it only downloaded Opera with loads of ads., entered your https and downloaded gboard, took about 25/30 mins, but not shown up in apps list, I can't find it, not in downloads (nothing there either).. Not showing up on settings app. keyboard list, installed keyboard shown as Android Keyboard AOS - and another MTK BT HID (UK) there as well ??. Too risky to change keyboard as may lose input.. G Voice not working. BTW, settings click defaults to messages screen using finger, but it's correct settings via bluetooth keyboard... Any idea how I can find and install gboard, it's here in the Android somewhere, and secondly will the gboard overwrite the malware faulty keyboard setting ??    Thanks again, sorry to be useless. colinCB.

Extra update; dpwnloaded FX file explorer, found correct downloads (hidden in malware, just shows documents), found gboard, went to com.googleandroid.inputmethod.latin.apk, open with  install using the Package Installer, after loading I keep having an error message 'An input/output error occured' ... any ideas ??

Thanks, cheers...

ccb

• Staff

Hi @ColinCB,

Well, if you can install Malwarebytes for Android, you can run an Apps Report so I at least see what other malware could be installed.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1. Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.
  2. Tap the Menu icon.
  3. Tap Your apps.
  4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.
  5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included.

At this point, it would be very helpful to mention you are submitting via recommendation from the Malwarebytes forum.  This allows our support staff to know where to direct it.

By sending the Apps Report, you will create a ticket in our support system.

Private Message (PM) me the email used and/or the ticket number assigned.

At this point, any keyboard that works you can find on Google PLAY will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nathan

Tried to find Malwarebytes on phones Playstore, but the phone doesn't find it !!??, it's fine on my spare phone... had a look around in Playstore and found a few other security apps. that don't show up either.  So the malware also has an effect on the Playstore app.

So, it seems that even if I loaded the Gboard, there is still the Playstore problem...

Malwarebytes is on my W10 PC, I can connect the PC to the phone using the miniUSB? . Bluetooth works OK as well - the mini keyboard is fine, but can't carry that about in my pocket !!. So, presumably your tech. guys would connect via USB to a PC and download the info.?. can that be done remotely ?

I could send the phone to you by snail mail ?? it cannot work properly for me so it would be no loss if Malwarebytes kept it for research, or something... ?? just a thought.  I wonder what these idiots hoped to gain ?, we never use our mobiles for payments / Paypal etc, so no gain there possible...not worth real money - after all it's not an expensive Samsung Galaxy or anything, so who knows ?.

Lovely Sunday morning here in sunny SW France.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers.

CCB

So,

Hi AMW.,

Thanks for taking interest, Nathan at Malwarebytes has been helping me here so am a bit further on but not resolved yet...

Correct, no voice, keyboard minimises if any character pressed on the right keyboard side, mainly I,O,K,L, etc... But further on now, found an old bluetooth keyboard, connected OK. Eventually downloaded MalwareBytes software, but file won't work. BTW the malware also affects the Playstore, disallowing some downloads (anti-malware, etc.) so at this moment, need to load the APY sourced file into the android play system (I'm in no way techie).

Cheers.

ccb.

If you successfully download and install a new keyboard using an APK then I can 100℅ fix the problem.

Any keyboard that has predicted text or spelling correction does have a risk of allowing the malware to infect the new keyboard when it is given priority control.

The one I use off Google apps to fight malware and stay safe is this one. Here is the APK link.

https://m.apkpure.com/hacker-s-keyboard/org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard

Just to let you know... Removal of malware on keyboards is one of the most difficult because keyboards code is malware of the very best kind. It hides it self, can open controls, move, shut down, re open, stays on factory reset... It does not need permission for anything and its main purpose is to never die. 

Keyboard like Gboard  is classified as a Trojan, spyware, malware that is designed to spread and told by Google to ignore. So no antivirus will find it inside the keyboard code because Google says ignore that threat it is the keyboard. I can help you push it out of the keyboard and a small chance it will delete it self..but a good chance that it will then be visible to antivirus software.

After you download the new keyboard you should be able to make it as primary. Then you need to find the other keyboard in apps and download in you settings. If you find it. Open cache and data and delete that then disable and force stop. You will probably have to do this 2-3 times to be able to delete it. Lucky for you that it is not a Google app. It should be easy enough to delete. Then virus scan and hope its done.