Superbasic question

FABIOLAPAL

When Malware is scanning, it shows the names of specific malware. Does that means the scan has found the malware in the system or that it's applying its preset definitions to the scan? My IT guy says I have OSX.Vsearch (which shows up during the Malwarebytes scan), but Malware always reports that my system is free of viruses. A search picks up no Vsearch. 

That appears to be Malwarebytes End Point software that your university has installed and not the consumer version. Probably needs to be moved to the appropriate forum. I doubt that anybody who frequents this forum knows for certain, but I would guess it's just showing you what it's looking for and any threats identified are being reported to your IT.

Paging @AdvancedSetup?

This post has been moved to the correct section and the other one removed.

14 hours ago, FABIOLAPAL said:

(it's installed by my university). 

22 hours ago, FABIOLAPAL said:

My IT guy says I have OSX.Vsearch

Does the IT guy work for the university?

Info about v-search. https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/osx-vsearch/

• Staff

That information only shows what Malwarebytes is scanning for at that moment. It does not mean that OSX.VSearch, or any of the other names that appear, has been found.

I'm not clear on why your IT guy says you're infected with VSearch. If he's basing it on that screenshot, he's wrong. However, if he's managing your computer, and the Malwarebytes protection on it, then he has access to a console that will show him more information.

• Staff
20 minutes ago, FABIOLAPAL said:

Thanks -- it's confusing to me since he says the computer has it but Malware keeps saying the computer is clean... Appreciate your responses.

You'd need to get more information from him about why he says your computer is infected. If there's something he's seeing that we're missing, we'd love to hear about that, and if he's mistaken, we'd love to help you (and him) understand why. If you can get more information from him, that would be important.

Only you know who this person is and how best to get in touch since you haven't told us exactly who he is or what University he works for. You indicated that he spoke with "my IT guy" previously, so I would think you know how to get back to him.

• Staff
19 hours ago, FABIOLAPAL said:

Thanks -- let me know how best for him to be in touch.

If you want him to speak directly to us, you could ask him to join this conversation here. If he does not want to do that, or that is otherwise not an option, ask him what he's seeing that indicates that you're infected with VSearch, then pass on his reply to us.

Thanks -- as you could probably guess, I wasn't super confident in his skills. I pressed him yesterday. He admitted that he hadn't run a complete scan and my computer was fine. So... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. But thanks for your responses! This helped me at least confirm that 1. my computer is fine and 2. The program works as intended.