Using VPN stops PC restarting or shutting down, even hours later

I got a new PC a week ago and have the strangest problem. If I turn the VPN on I won't be able to shut down or restart my PC, even if I have turned off the VPN hours ago. Windows logs off, my monitor goes into standby... but the PC will not power down for a shut off, or boot back to Windows if I've done a restart. I experimented with not using the VPN for 3 days and my PC restarts and shut downs without issue. But when I started using the VPN again, even for a few minutes, I can't restart or shut down my PC. I have to use the power button. The VPN is not active when I shut down the PC.

Why would the VPN stop my PC restarting or shutting down, no matter how long ago I turned the VPN off? And what can I do to fix it? Thank you.

Additionally, even if I completely turn off the VPN by right clicking its icon in the taskbar and exiting, I still cannot shut my PC down or restart it if I have connected the VPN at any point since the last time I shut down or restarted. This behaviour only happens to my PC when I use MP VPN. I'm using Windows 11.

1 hour ago, Jase76 said:

Additionally, even if I completely turn off the VPN by right clicking its icon in the taskbar and exiting, I still cannot shut my PC down or restart it if I have connected the VPN at any point since the last time I shut down or restarted. This behaviour only happens to my PC when I use MP VPN. I'm using Windows 11.

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

26 minutes ago, Jase76 said:

I'm a little nervous about uploading the files the support tool generated to a public forum.

There is really nothing in it someeone could use to harm you or your security.

If you wish, you can deal directly with support but your answer will take longer.

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help Please submit only one ticket/request.

Be advised it can take 3-7 weekdays for a response after the automated reply with your ticket number.

• Root Admin

Hello @Jase76

The logs don't indicate an obvious reason for this behavior. Let's go ahead though and do some general cleaning and see if that corrects the issue.

First off let's do a Clean Removal of Malwarebytes products. For now though, please do not reinstall them. When asked decline the installer.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions but do not reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and will restart to complete. If it does not then go ahead and restart on your own.

After the restart please do the following

• In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that nothing in the logs leapt out as a problem. I installed MB Privacy and Premium on the day I plugged my new PC in 10 days ago, so I don't hold out much hope that uninstalling and then reinstalling will change anything. The PC is brand new - no previous owners. It works fantastically with the Adobe apps, demanding games, general browsing, video playing etc., and MB Privacy is the only thing I use that causes this weird behaviour. MB Privacy works fine doing the job it's designed for, but I know when I use it that I won't be able to restart or shut down my PC and will have to use the power button. I'll work around it for now and try a few other ideas at my end. Perhaps I'm unlucky and MB Privacy just doesn't get along with my particular build. Also, Windows 11 certainly has its quirks. I wouldn't be surprised that had my PC come with Windows 10 instead I wouldn't have needed to ask for help, but I can only speculate on what is going on. Thanks again for looking at the logs. I'll leave it there for now.

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you