CPU Running at 50% when just browsing i7-1065G7

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Just now, Porthos said:

Are you saying it is ok now or are you still needing assistance?

I still need assistance; but my keyboard has been acting up (clicking off opening random things etc and now this)

I did not finish my post I am actually typing it in notepad so i dont make another blank post again

Just now, SwitchRatchet said:

I still need assistance; but my keyboard has been acting up (clicking off opening random things etc and now this)

I did not finish my post I am actually typing it in notepad so i dont make another blank post again

Please restart the computer and try to do the following.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Ok will do. I literally just finished so I will post my issue here as well JIC. Thank you.

Hello,

I have apparently been experiencing a few issues with my laptop. I think the big one is that my CPU is running at 50% when just opening Edge. I think I have been experiencing this issue for A LONG time; but just decided to check to see what size/if I had a problem, it really was. So, I opened Task Manager , clicked the Performance Tab and there it was running consistently at 50% and spiking to 100%. Also, my RAM is constantly WAYY over 2GB in use; I will run the defragmenting tool included with my Norton subscription to bring it down +75% to around 1GB give or take a 100MBs or so.

My first thought was Malware but I ran a few scans (Norton Malwarebytes Microsoft Malicious Software Removal) all came back with nothing. I can see Streamlabs/OBS running in the background, although they are not in startup nor did I see them in autoruns and there are ALOT of processes. There are a few things that I have downloaded that i would suspect and there was one a while back that I downloaded that was absolutely some sort of malware ( I removed most of it but was still having problems so i just reinstalled windows). The other downloads I am suspicious about are Streamlabs (obviously), Camo and Iriun cam. Camo and Iriun cam are utilities to use your phone camera as a webcam and Streamlabs is a streaming assistance platform.

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Please restart the computer and try to do the following.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Thank you.

Addition.txt FRST.txt

8 minutes ago, SwitchRatchet said:

Thank you.

I will ask @AdvancedSetup to look over the logs and see if he sees anything else over the system errors I see.

I personally believe that Norton is a resource hog especially the 350 versions and uninstalling it might ease your issues especially now with Win 11.

Just now, Porthos said:

I will ask @AdvancedSetup to look over the logs and see if he sees anything else over the system errors I see.

I personally believe that Norton is a resource hog especially the 350 versions and uninstalling it might ease your issues especially now with Win 11.

Thank you,

We are switching to Malwarebytes when our subscription is up. Malwarebytes definitely catches things that Norton does not so it's a now brainer; and it's cheaper. I don't know what if any protection loss there is over Norton 360 when switching to Malwarebytes Free for the time being.

• Root Admin

You can leave Norton 360 installed and running for now but I would recommend you consider at least temporarily uninstalling Norton Utilities

Go to Control Panel, Program, Programs and Features and uninstall

Norton Utilities

Then restart the computer.

Then temporarily disable the Norton real-time protection and run the following fix below and post back the FIXLOG.txt once completed and re-enable Norton 360 real-time protection

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v116457581

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated info

21 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

[Fix info]

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

[Fix info]

Thanks

Thank you,

I was able to uninstall Norton Utilities and restart however I forgot to disable the anti virus and firewall before starting the tool. Fortunately or unfortunately, I was able to disable the services after I started the tool. I have attached the request log file. Thank you again.

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

We need to determine what real expectations are.  A spike is normal. I'm running an i9--9900K processor, NVMe SSD, and 64GB or RAM and I still get spikes when launching items. That is normal and to be expected. Does the spike drop within a few seconds is the question.

I have 34 Microsoft Edge tabs open consuming 2GB of RAM and I have 3 instances of Firefox running, each with about 10 to 15 tabs open and combined they take about 2GB of RAM as well. Then all the other junk that runs on a modern Windows 10 system.

For me, CPU is about 12% average and Memory is about 24% of physical memory and that is normal.

Now, if you launch a browser and it goes up to 100% but immediately drops back down to a normal percentage of say less than 5% for that instance alone then I'd say it's normal.

So, you tell us what you're experiencing please.

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

We need to determine what real expectations are.  A spike is normal. I'm running an i9--9900K processor, NVMe SSD, and 64GB or RAM and I still get spikes when launching items. That is normal and to be expected. Does the spike drop within a few seconds is the question.

I have 34 Microsoft Edge tabs open consuming 2GB of RAM and I have 3 instances of Firefox running, each with about 10 to 15 tabs open and combined they take about 2GB of RAM as well. Then all the other junk that runs on a modern Windows 10 system.

For me, CPU is about 12% average and Memory is about 24% of physical memory and that is normal.

Now, if you launch a browser and it goes up to 100% but immediately drops back down to a normal percentage of say less than 5% for that instance alone then I'd say it's normal.

So, you tell us what you're experiencing please.

It actually didn't even spike this time. I am attaching a screen grab of Task Manager (post opening the browser; just as I started typing this reply). The spike was maybe 30-35% when opening just now (earlier it did spike all the way to 100%, which I have not seen)

RAM Usage has been over 4GB (of 16GB) even as I turned on the laptop (nothing opened but task manager).

image.png.750d081f57a02f8f8665ca9f0fc4b72b.png

• Root Admin

What you're showing does not look to be out of the normal.

Windows consumes 4 to 5 GB with no other real programs running. If you only had 4 GB of RAM it wouldn't use that much as it would swap out memory to the hard drive back and forth but when you have available physical memory it will use it.

You have 188 processes running. Every process takes at least a very small portion of CPU and memory to run.

Please run the following

Please download HWiNFO the Professional System Information and Diagnostics program.
HWiNFO Portable for Windows

Unzip the program to its own folder such as: C:\HWiNFO
Go to the new folder and locate the file C:\HWiNFO\HWiNFO64.exe and double-click to run it.
Click the RUN button.
Ignore the update, click close.
Click on Save Report and choose HTML and click Next, then Finish
By default, it will create a new report named COMPUTER.HTM in the same folder as the program. C:\HWiNFO
Please zip that file and attach it to your next reply

Thank you

40 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

What you're showing does not look to be out of the normal.

Windows consumes 4 to 5 GB with no other real programs running. If you only had 4 GB of RAM it wouldn't use that much as it would swap out memory to the hard drive back and forth but when you have available physical memory it will use it.

You have 188 processes running. Every process takes at least a very small portion of CPU and memory to run.

Please run the following

Please download HWiNFO the Professional System Information and Diagnostics program.
HWiNFO Portable for Windows

Unzip the program to its own folder such as: C:\HWiNFO
Go to the new folder and locate the file C:\HWiNFO\HWiNFO64.exe and double-click to run it.
Click the RUN button.
Ignore the update, click close.
Click on Save Report and choose HTML and click Next, then Finish
By default, it will create a new report named COMPUTER.HTM in the same folder as the program. C:\HWiNFO
Please zip that file and attach it to your next reply

Thank you

OHHH I see... I just assumed that since 4GB was the requirements it would be using less.

I was going to ask you about where to save these tools/utilites. An uncle, years ago (Windows XP), told me to not save things on my desktop to conserve ram and that the quick launch was the best option for those files. I still have FRST in my downloads file...Should I move it, Should I keep them out of the program files folder (I don't know which ones are 32 bit or 64 bit), I was thinking of just making a "recovery" or similar file on the CDrive.

• Root Admin

You can see here in this screenshot comparison of your CPU vs. the one in my desktop computer. The higher the CPU Mark - the better performance

Basically, it looks like yours uses a 1.3 GHz for it's main clock speed which is common with most laptops that are not high-end gaming laptops.

image.png

Your screenshot shows low utilization considering the number of processes.

image.png.750d081f57a02f8f8665ca9f0fc4b72b.png

Here is mine with even more processes running. Notice your CPU is at 1.34 GHz and mine is at 4.66 GHz but in both cases, neither one of our systems is using too much CPU or RAM

Why buy a good CPU or a lot of RAM if you're not going to use it?

image.png

I have 64 GB of physical RAM in my system (for doing video work) and I'm using almost 16 GB with only browsers and a few other programs running,

but that helps speed things along since it does not need to swap to the hard drive except for specific reasons

image.png

So, unless something else is going on your system appears to be working normally at this time.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated info

15 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

So, unless something else is going on your system appears to be working normally at this time.

I do know passmark but I don’t know how one score relates to another except maybe what percentage of performance one CPU has compared to another. What that percentage means is beyond me.

I actually started studying Cybersecurity last year at UCF and they required an INTEL i7 processor; my knowledge of CPUs told me that Ryzen outperformed the 10th gen Intel CPUs but Intel was the requirement so that is what I bought. After getting into class I saw that other students had Ryzen and even M1 processors so I have been a bit resentful since; I know I could have bought a better Ryzen laptop for the same price.

The only resource demanding operation I planned on using the laptop for is virtualization; which I had no issues with but that was a while ago. I couldn’t afford the tuition, so as one of my instructors suggested I bought some courses on Udemy and actually decided to get my A+ cert which was not taught in the course at UCF. I have since tried to stream with streamlabs, not having issues there really, and playing Valorant, where I have had great issues although the system requirements seemed to be adequate unless I am misjudging the G7 graphics controller.

If it looks good to you I believe you! Really, thank you so much! I am glad there was at least a little thing wrong and you were able to help me out.

Thank you most kindly

• Root Admin

I wouldn't worry too much about the Intel vs. Ryzen issue. Both CPUs have Pros and Cons. The M1 is reasonably new for MAC and a lot of programs still don't run on it.

The main point is that spikes are normal but within a few seconds or less that spike should drop down. If you're consuming 50% of the CPU and it just will not go down and you're only running one instance of the browser then yes something is probably wrong. But in what you show the CPU use is down to 2%

Best of luck with your studies. Over time you'll learn more and more and better and better opportunities for work will come your way I'm sure in time.

• Root Admin

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)

1. Recommend using a Password Manager for all websites, etc. that require a password. Never use the same password on more than one site.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/
  2. Make sure you're backing up your files https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/
  3. Keep all software up to date - PatchMyPC - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download
  4. Keep your Operating System up to date and current at all times - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2
  5. Further tips to help protect your computer data and improve your privacy: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/ 
  6. Please consider installing the following Content Blockers for your Web browsers if you haven't done so already. This will help improve overall security

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

Further reading if you like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes

17 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the Intel vs. Ryzen issue. Both CPUs have Pros and Cons. The M1 is reasonably new for MAC and a lot of programs still don't run on it.

The main point is that spikes are normal but within a few seconds or less that spike should drop down. If you're consuming 50% of the CPU and it just will not go down and you're only running one instance of the browser then yes something is probably wrong. But in what you show the CPU use is down to 2%

Best of luck with your studies. Over time you'll learn more and more and better and better opportunities for work will come your way I'm sure in time.

Yeah some students were unable to run virtual box; I had no problems even running 2 VMs at the same time so the laptop does what it was intended to do; and will now again thank you so much! So much more information I am learning that I would not have learned in the fast tracked curriculum at the university, so I am taking the change with a grain of sugar xD. Just learning about CPUs and how they work with memory now but I am having fun even just transferring notes from paper to Word, so I know I will enjoy the field and hopefully find the dedication to continue learning through out my career. Thank you for the kind words!

24 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)

Further reading if you like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes

Again, thank you for the help!

kprm-20220322125705.txt