Heuristic Ad Blocker blocking a lot of ads on YT?

This must be a new mechanism that detects Advertisements that have not yet been added to the database. This appears to be a new function of browser guard you should have nothing to worry about. A staff member may comment on further on its new functions. Malwarebytes Browser Guard is working as intended protecting you against advertisements I also see the new detections on mine as well. Browser Guard updated to version 2.3.20 today which explains the new update.    

Edited by brad03
11 minutes ago, brad03 said:

This must be a new mechanism that detects Advertisements that have not yet been added to the database. This appears to be a new function of browser guard you should have nothing to worry about. A staff member may comment on further on its new functions. Malwarebytes Browser Guard is working as intended protecting you against advertisements I also see the new detections on mine as well. Browser Guard updated to version 2.3.20 today which explains the new update.    

Ah, that makes sense considering I had a Malwarebytes update this morning. Thank you! Also sorry if I replied twice I’m not sure my other reply went through 

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

I didn't see any mention of heuristics, and behavior looked about the same as it was in previous releases. (my opinion)

You can get the detections by going to youtube and by watching a few videos. This is showing for me as well. 

Edited by brad03

Ah, got it!  I see it now (now that I know what I am looking for).  I usually don't go in there except for whitelisting purposes.  That would be part of BG-Youtube performance enhancements.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Ah, got it!  I see it now (now that I know what I am looking for).  I usually don't go in there except for whitelisting purposes.  That would be part of BG-Youtube performance enhancements.

Quick question does the heuristics used in blocking YouTube advertisements also detect things by heuristics on other third party sites? Will this new detection technology work with other sites as well? 

Edited by brad03
On 3/18/2022 at 5:22 AM, gonzo said:

I have tried a few and not seen a mention of this. Can you provide a link to one that shows this?

@gonzo - if you want an example with BIG numbers, leave this site tab active for 10 minutes or so, and look at the continual increments (overflows the UI Icon numbers after a short while) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/rza80n/firefox_causes_crash_after_resuming_from/

For all we know, these might be false positives, but without PROPER debug logs for these, who knows?

I can get the same thing from sfgate.com.  And yes, it will overflow.  They are all in the ads and trackers, caused by inability to load nauseating ads which causes more attempts to load nauseating ads ad nauseum.  As far as videos go, if you saw the video you wanted to see, you were likely just robbed of the opportunity to subscribe to something.  A heuristic block is not going to be related to a file.  It will be related to a process or a chain of processes.  Including those in a debug log would likely make a log bulky, add little intelligence for the average user, and make proprietary methods public.  That would limit our ability to protect users.  I could be wrong, but I don't see a change in that policy as we are entering a time where content must be scrutinized more than ever before.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, liqcaf said:

I've been binging for a bit and I have just hit 8k blocked trackers, ads, etc. I saw that this was resolved, I just wanted to show off the fact that I'm lazy and have been watching videos all day

I do the same but use Ublock Origin alongside Browser guard and it does not go that high.

• gonzo locked this topic