"Exten'n could co-op with cooperating native applic'ns"

deucy14

Mar 11, 2022

I have not experienced the following on my Windows laptop,

but

Today, while on a web page on her laptop, my wife noticed the following advisory (my abbreviations):

(her MB Browser Guard is current 2: 3: 19 from Feb 2022.)

first:      Title:   “Have MWB Primium Installed ?”

followed by     “Give MB Guard permission to manage blocked website warnings for premium ?”

Decline      Allowed

Curious, I checked “Allowed”

There then appeared:     Title:  “MB Guard has requested additional permissions.”

followed by information:     “The extension could: cooperate with cooperating native applications.”

Allow             Deny

I selected “deny” thinking there will be another opportunity to manage to allow.

I looked at subjects in this forum, but did not find anything of this manner.

Is this legit ?  .... and if so, has this option been available for many months ?  .... and without problematic issues ?

Thank you for your attention.

This is legitimate, and is recent.  We have recently enabled communication with Malwarebytes Premium and Malwarebytes Browser Guard (two separate applications), but due to the way that both work on your computer, you must explicitly approve that communication.  That change has met with some complaints from users of each/both app(s), and we are trying to improve both the methods and the messages.

The first setting you mentioned can be easily changed after your initial setting has been made, but I only see one method for changing the second setting.  That is a factory reset of Browser Guard (available on the Support screen).  You can uninstall and reinstall Browser Guard as well, but the reset is much easier, faster and accomplishes the same thing.

YOUR REPLY:  The first setting you mentioned can be easily changed after your initial setting has been made, but I only see one method for changing the second setting.  That is a factory reset of Browser Guard (available on the Support screen).  You can uninstall and reinstall Browser Guard as well, but the reset is much easier, faster and accomplishes the same thing.

MY REPLY to yours:  Does the first two sentences have anything associated to my question ?  The word "setting" does not relate to my issue that I am aware of.  I am not wishing to push buttons.

How safe is it to have MB having "cooperation" with other "native applications"  ?  That is my subject question.  Sounds like some synergy there, but not sure about safety.

It took a while to get the answer to this one.  The first notification (regarding Malwarebytes Premium) is presented by Browser Guard.  It is legitimate, and it is ours.

The second notification (regarding native apps) is issued by Chrome, and it is because we are operating within the context of the browser.  It appears ONLY if you have said to allow Browser Guard to manage blocked website warnings for Malwarebytes Premium as well.  It is legitimate also, and even we find the two confusing.  Our message is slated for change in the near future.  We can't do anything about the second one.

EDIT: I left something out.  The native app is our premium product.

Edited by gonzo
long day...

You're going out there on a stretch, Gonzo, for my benefit. I do appreciate you. In the end (meaning me having complete understanding which I don't), I can see my Firefox browser that is assisted with oversight from MB Browser Guard encountering a site that is suspicious. If I were to provide “permission,” my browser could investigate further ?

I'm not sure I just made an intelligent question. The statements I read don't mean much if their verbiage is not well defined by me. Where does “permissions” come from, and if from me, are they already standing permissions or on a case by case needing to be authorized ?

Are “blocked website warnings” in existence by manner of earlier browsers having identified a threat and labeled it for the benefit of subsequent browsers ? Or is it a label given by my Browser Guard when I have initially and innocently directed my browser to go to that site ?

I hope these questions take short answers !

Answers are sometimes handled with brevity...I'll try.

We have Malwarebytes Premium and Malwarebytes Browser Guard.  They are separate programs. Giving Browser Guard permission to manage warnings for premium means only Browser Guard will tell you about blocks.  Both will still be doing their job.  You can choose to ignore a Browser Guard block (that is to allow once, or allow always).  If it is a block that premium puts on, it is more rigidly enforced.

The native apps permission to communicate is from the browser, and is because they do not our messages come through their software. In simpler terms, the browser is saying "Should I trust them?"  In this case, the answer is yes.  For both of the permissions questions, you only need to set them once.

Websites are (in most cases) blocked because of recent history that we have on them. There are a few that are not based on history (non-standard domains that are more often used for malicious purposes, downloading of executable files, or too many notifications).  I commonly whitelist ones that are not based on history, but I verify each are safe first.

One more piece (pertaining to your first question)...if something is blocked as suspicious, you can allow it if you know you can trust them or if you also have Malwarebytes Premium.  Premium is more powerful and can block in real-time mode.  If you only use Browser Guard, report the website here instead and stay safe.  If its okay, we can whitelist it.

Edited by gonzo
Addressing the one I always seem to miss...

Thank you very much. The brevity in saying that belies the comprehensiveness of what I just read and explains in different ways a suite of what is and what is not. I did not know these matters behind the scene were when marrying up Premium and Browser Guard.

Gonzo......Again...Thank you for that thoughtful and comprehensive effort. It will go miles for some of us that read this. You made the translation of the works much more understandable.

If there is more, you are permitted to write more ! ! Seems like its own world. Nice to begin with insight.

I used to write all Malwarebytes user guides, and it was important to me that why something should/should not be done is as important as the act itself. Users can become more knowledgeable and use our software more effectively.  The alternative costs users and costs us.  I would rather see us all win.