Purchase an XP CD?

I'm surfing around on the Microsoft website reading about various things to educate myself on computers more ;)

I am also looking where I might possibly be able to purchase an XP CD (preferrably SP3) just in case I ever needed to reformat or restore corrupted files or anything like that, as my computer did not come with disks. I do have a disk from an old XP laptop, but that should probably just stay with the laptop :)

Could anyone point me in the right direction for this? I think it would be a good idea to have, just in case :)

Thanks AdvancedSetup :) I have the Home edition, though. Does this matter?

So Microsoft doesn't sell it directly then, huh? I still haven't found it on their website.

That's a little hefty, but if I ever need it I know where to get it ;)

You don't want to wait forever. I'm pretty sure there is a "no more retail sales" date out there for XP. I believe the main advantage of full XP discs (either Home or Pro) is the ability to do repair installs. If you don't need that, you might be able to backup your OEM recovery partition on to a DVD which would give you protection from hard disk failure.

@ Calintexas

Thanks for your response :)

you might be able to backup your OEM recovery partition on to a DVD which would give you protection from hard disk failure.
Er, what does that mean, esp the OEM recovery partition part? I am kind of computer illiterate still in some respects :)

@ AdvancedSetup

Oh okay, cool :) So are you saying that if I DID need to reformat/replace files, etc, it would be okay to use the Professional CD even though I have the Home version?

Eh yeah. I'll order as soon as possible, hopefully within the next month or two (several biggie things to pay for already this month which take precedence... heh).

Couldn't Windows 7 be a problem for older PC's (those made say a year or more before Vista came out) as a number of hardware suppliers chose not to provide updated drivers for Vista (and thus Windows 7)?

As far as the recovery partition: If your PC didn't come with discs, there's likely a partition (possibly hidden) that has the files needed to restore your PC to the "as provided condition". It might be possible to back that partition up to a DVD. If it is possible, there should be information in the materials that you got with the PC, or on the manufacturer's support site. I don't have a lot of experience with this as the only PC I've bought without discs was an eMachines/Gateway that had a visible partition and asked if I wanted to create a backup disc when I first turned it on.

Oh sweet, will do as soon as possible Exile.

Uhmmm I don't think the computer burns CD's, though :lol: He got a bare bones model, but maybe you know a way around that :lol: