Browser Guard Pop-up: "Hey, did you just copy something?"

MHWallace

I am now getting a pop-up that appears to be from Malwarebytes. It happens when I'm in Firefox browser, with MB Browser Guard active, and I'm editing content in a WordPress website backend, copying content from a window. As soon as I copy the popup appears. I've attached a screenshot showing the popup warning message.

I am getting the same behavior using the Chrome browser.

This popup is new in the past couple of weeks. It started after a recent update to my Malwarebytes installation. Looking at the code-behind-the-page (Firefox inspect) I can see that the entire div block encompassing the popup is labelled id="malwarebytes-root" and since I did not add that to this page, and I have nothing else installed that would have added it, it seems the only possibility is that Malwarebytes is actively producing the popup. I've uploaded a screenshot showing this too.

I have carefully looked through all the MB documentation and done some searching and have found nothing that mentions anything about this popup.

Having to clear this popup every time I copy is becoming very annoying. I am close to disabling browser Guard just so I don't have to deal with this popup any more. But then I don't get the protections that I have Browser Guard installed to provide.

Is this something that Malwarebytes Premium Browser Guard does? If so, is there any way to turn it off or otherwise alter its behavior?

MB Popup - Hey did you just copy something - FF Inspector Code - Screenshot.png

MB Popup - Hey did you just copy something - Screenshot.png

Yes, that's a good point. However, it's becoming an annoyance when I'm copying into clipboard many times in a short amount of time. I'm sure that my situation is an edge case. In this case it is content that I have created. I won't go into details, just trust that it's safe and it becomes quickly very annoying having to dismiss the pop-up messages.

For the developers at Malwarebytes, I will offer that there should be 1) better indication that MB is doing whatever it is doing with some explanation of what that is and 2) there should be a way to shut it off or otherwise fine-tune it.

Confirming that in Browser Guard Current Website settings, disabling protection for Scams stops the pop-up from displaying on copy (I use Ctrl-C). None of the other three have any effect on this. I did try with all protections off, then cycling through each individually, and the having Scam enabled is the only one where the pop-up displays.  (See attached screenshot.)

This also confirms that it is a Malwarebytes issue.

FYI, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H2 build 19044.1526, with Firefox 97.0. I am also running NoScript 11.2.25 in Firefox.

MB Browser Guard Settings - Screenshot.png

On 2/14/2022 at 11:49 PM, MHWallace said:

For the developers at Malwarebytes, I will offer that there should be 1) better indication that MB is doing whatever it is doing with some explanation of what that is and 2) there should be a way to shut it off or otherwise fine-tune it.

Couldn't agree more. Maybe a browser extension icon that would turn red if there was an issue? Just a thought...

On 2/15/2022 at 12:23 AM, MHWallace said:

This also confirms that it is a Malwarebytes issue.

This is a feature of Browser Guard not Malwarebytes Premium.

6 minutes ago, anim8tr said:

Maybe a browser extension icon that would turn red if there was an issue?

Browser Guard is a browser extension. it is separate from the main Malwarebytes program.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This is a feature of Browser Guard not Malwarebytes Premium.

Browser Guard is a browser extension. it is separate from the main Malwarebytes program.

I realize that... I should have finished my thought. The pop-up is really annoying... especially if your a developer and working on a WordPress site. Anytime I copy from a page, I get this message.. My thought was to use the icon as the alert... if there's a warning, click on the red icon to see what the issue is. Again, just a thought but the pop-ups are not a great solution...

• Like 1
On 2/15/2022 at 12:49 AM, MHWallace said:

Totally agree. The popup needs to identity the warning comes from Malwarebytes. Without any clear ownership of the popup I assumed I picked up an unwanted program.  And I need to shut this off while I working on a website.  

• Like 1

I realize it's a feature of Browser Guard not Malwarebytes Premium and that Browser Guard is a browser extension. it is separate from the main Malwarebytes program. However, it's all Malwarebytes and in my mind it's all part of the same package. (Remember that user experience is not same as developer experience.) Clearly, the popup needs to identity the warning comes from Malwarebytes, and there needs to be some explanation as to what it is, why it has displayed and what it means. It's a great idea, it just needs some fine-tuning. It's interesting that anim8tr mentions seeing in connection with WordPress as that's where I saw it.

BTW, I find that Malwarebytes is a good, reliable and trustworthy product. So far I've not experienced anything that would bring any of that into doubt. Keep up the good work!

I've been getting this as well and pretty much has stopped my work on many websites to a screeching halt. The alert pops up and then is nested behind a icon from my theme builder that I cannot click to close the alert. I see the purpose of it but even on the same website it alerts each time. I work on hundreds of sites and having this popup all the time is really hindering me.

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Have you tried putting affected sites on your ALLOW LIST for scam protection?

I just found this thread today after submitting my support ticket. While that could work the problem is that I deal with all sorts of sites all day long and don't want to have to allow all these new sites each time. Then having to remove them after I'm done, this is adding more work than I need to. The best option would be either to have an option to turn off this alert for all sites or a floating box or some type of alert that is not nested. 

1 hour ago, ecogmedia said:

I just found this thread today after submitting my support ticket. While that could work the problem is that I deal with all sorts of sites all day long and don't want to have to allow all these new sites each time. Then having to remove them after I'm done, this is adding more work than I need to. The best option would be either to have an option to turn off this alert for all sites or a floating box or some type of alert that is not nested. 

Just tested on my site. When I got the block I closed the warning and toggled off scam protection on my site.

image.png.0db5a049c3b5fe1fb2a81f8b6eb9e369.png

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Just tested on my site. When I got the block I closed the warning and toggled off scam protection on my site.

image.png.0db5a049c3b5fe1fb2a81f8b6eb9e369.png

The problem that I'm having is that I cannot close the notice box because it appears behind an icon used by the theme. I have to reload the page, the theme (Divi) is my default builder that I use on almost all of my sites I build and maintain. I also work on a lot of other client sites and don't want to have to keep turning this on and off. While I can use this right now as a work around this is not something that I would want to do to continue to use this service. Thanks for the assistance I just hope this is addressed. 

Untitled-2.jpg.a725a0d1f94545876c3a9df841433b03.jpg

• 1 month later...

Recently, it seems the behaviour of this guard changed. Now, if I tried to copy a large text from a Pterodactyl (server) console, the page would become unresponsive until the browser popped up a dialog saying the page had frozen.
It happened both in Chrome and in Edge. Disabling Browser Guard didn't resolve it, removing the extension did.