Have the VPN developers actually tested it with Google Wifi?

WalterC
Go to solution Solved by Porthos,

Your support could not answer this question, so they told me to ask it in a forum. 

I know that Google Wifi is difficult for most VPNs and requires a special procedure. Can you verify that you have tested Malwarebytes VPN with Google Wifi?

Walter Crockett

Russ (Support)

Feb 14, 2022, 12:01 PST

Hello, Walter! 

I sincerely apologize for the trouble. While I cannot confirm whether the developers have tried the VPN with Google Wifi, I do suggest you post your question in our forums, where the developers do answer these questions. You can see our forums here.
-Malwarebytes Forums
Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue
  • Root Admin

Hello @WalterC

I really don't see why it would be difficult to setup any VPN. It's a mesh router system just like everyone else's offerings and nothing special listed in their specifications.

A VPN is setup on the client workstation and it monitors and sets up an encrypted channel for anything that talks on that connection.

If you mean does it support being installed onto the actual router, then, no it does not support being installed on the actual router.

I'm sorry, but everything I have read about using Google WiFi with a VPN says it is either impossible or difficult. I was asking if you guys had tested whether you could get them working together. That question has not been answered yet. If the answer is no, then I'd like  you to consider doing so.

I could. I was a software technical writer for 17 years and got paid to do that kind of thing. Now I'm a consumer. I just want things to work - or at least I want to know that something can work before I try to install it. I'm retired and I'm interested in using things, not figuring them out. I think most consumers feel that way.

• Solution

Users sometimes want to install a VPN on the router so the whole network is covered.

Malwarebytes charges per device and it is installed on each computer or phone. They can be Windows, MacOS, Android and IOS.

For example you have a mix of 5 supported devices you would buy a 5 device subscription.

VPN connections are done at the device level before it goes to the router.

Many have canceled it when they could NOT install it on the router and pay one license fee.  They want the TV and other network devices covered.

Some wanted to circumvent location/geo blocks to other country's for entertainment and it wont do that either. Heck I cant watch Amazon prime or Netflix videos in my own country with it on,

There many VPN's that out there that can. Malwarebytes is not of them.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Root Admin

There are very few routers that allow you to install VPN software. It's not a matter of us not wanting to, the router vendor has to support it.

I don't personally know anyone that has purchased Google Wi-Fi and asking within the company no one replies saying they've bought it either.

As @Porthos has stated, most VPN software is installed on the computer or phone and does not care what your router vendor is. It's just a connection.

It's possible that Google runs some type of software that does make it difficult but even on the forums you're the first person I've seen ask about Google Wi-Fi

Google is not even close to the only game in town either

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/wifi-for-home

In doing some basic research I see where many places do discuss that the Google WiFi routers do not support any VPN software being installed on them. That is different than running VPN on a specific computer or phone.

If you already own a Google WiFi system then our VPN software or anyone's should run just fine installed on the computer or phone. If you haven't already purchased a Google WiFi device then I'd suggest you do a bit more research just to make sure you're really getting what you want.