Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Family with mixed configuration - Network questions

I want to buy Malwarebytes but I don't know what I need.  Here is my situation:  I have rMBP13 (late 2017) on Big sur.  My husband has MBP13 (late 2015) on Catalina (I think).  My oldest daughter only uses her android phone (I have no idea what model).  We have 3 iPads (two used only for games by her son (who is 14) and daughter (who is 11) and my daughter uses one in her room.

We have a modem supplied by Spectrum and a router attached (Netgear r6300V2 which is out of date won't let me update the firmware).  Another router is in our garage (my oldest daughter's make-shift bedroom).  Nobody is allowed in there. ;-)   My husband just got popups saying his laptop is damaged. I researched and see it is scam (says Apple Care and it's not; says from ideal-secured.com).  So now the entire family is on board to purchase ROBUST software to protect us.  The android phone is never taken off site but she does use it for web browsing and text-messaging.

Questions:

1. Can Malwarebytes remove ideal-secured.com?

2. Can Malwarebytes protect my entire family with mixed Mac, Android & ipad configuration?

3. The two routers (both separate passwords) are both attached to same modem which is attached to a phone line I think.  Will they both be covered under a single family account?

I've spent HUNDREDS of hours researching and I am convinced that Malwarebytes is the best.  I believe I should also replace the Netgear r6300v2 since it shows it was mfg in 2012 and it doesn't seem to allow upgrade).  Since the popups from ideal-secured.com appeared, we all keep getting 'internet connection is unstable.'  Before I invest, I need to know if my 3 questions can be answered.  Can anyone please help us?  Thank you so much and, I'm brand-new to this forum so if I posted in wrong place I apologize.  Since we're a 'mixed-config' family, I wasn't sure where to ask the questions.  :-)

19 minutes ago, Grandma said:

I have rMBP13 (late 2017) on Big sur.  My husband has MBP13 (late 2015) on Catalina (I think). 

Questions:

Most things like that are browser issues and must be corrected/fixed manually, What browser do you use....

For the mac's you should be good.

System requirements

• Operating System: macOS® Sierra 10.12, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, macOS 10.14 Mojave, macOS 10.15 Catalina, macOS 11.1-11.5 Big Sur, macOS 12 Monterey
  • Security & Privacy: Allow apps to be downloaded from the Mac App Store and identified developers (default settings)
  • An active internet connection
Is Malwarebytes available for iPad?
Malwarebytes for iOS, also known as Malwarebytes Mobile Security, is available exclusively from Apple's App Store. To install Malwarebytes for iOS, open the App Store app on your iOS device, then search for Malwarebytes.

As for the Androids. You need Android 7.0 or later

So in conclusion from your post you need to purchase the numbers of Malwarebytes  "devices" from the Malwarebytes store to cover all except the Ipads which can only be purchased from the Apple store.

From my count you have 2 mac's and one Android so that is 3 devices that can come from the Malwarebytes Store.  https://estore.malwarebytes.com/order/checkout.php?CART_ID=9a0cbbe4813e9c0a75da4c164f99325f

image.thumb.png.42ff71dcc257d4065c776f542b8def69.png

And you have 3 I-pads Malwarebytes can only be purchased from Apple.  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/malwarebytes-mobile-security/id1327105431

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grandma said:

The two routers (both separate passwords) are both attached to same modem which is attached to a phone line I think.  Will they both be covered under a single family account?

Malwarebytes does NOT protect ROUTERS.

43 minutes ago, Grandma said:

a router attached (Netgear r6300V2 which is out of date won't let me update the firmware).  Another router is in our garage (my oldest daughter's make-shift bedroom).  Nobody is allowed in there. ;-) 

Replacing them is up to you.

44 minutes ago, Grandma said:

2. Can Malwarebytes protect my entire family with mixed Mac, Android & ipad configuration?

Refer to my first post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandma said:

Can Malwarebytes remove ideal-secured.com?

Malwarebytes can certainly find and offer to disable any malware that has enabled the popup, but may not be able to reverse any changes that were made to his browser, but there is a pinned article in the Mac Malware Removal Help & Support forum that covers that.

4 hours ago, Grandma said:

I believe I should also replace the Netgear r6300v2 since it shows it was mfg in 2012 and it doesn't seem to allow upgrade).

This article indicates there are multiple problems with that router that are covered by the lashes firmware update, so if you aren't able to install that firmware then it definitely needs to be replaced quickly: https://kb.netgear.com/000061982/Security-Advisory-for-Multiple-Vulnerabilities-on-Some-Routers-Mobile-Routers-Modems-Gateways-and-Extenders. As stated, Malwarebytes cannot help you with router threat protection and I doubt that any other available product can either.

• Like 1

• Staff

Thanks for your interest and detailed questions!

What your husband saw wasn't actually malware, it was just a scam website. As long as he didn't follow any of the instructions there, which would typically involve either calling a phone number or installing something, all is still good.

However, you definitely don't want to be encountering this kind of thing. In the majority of cases, these kinds of websites are reached through what is called "malvertising." This is when a malicious ad gets into the advertising feed on a legitimate ad-supported website. Unfortunately, this kind of thing has become fairly common. Ad blocking these days is no longer just about not seeing ads, it's actually also important for security, due to poor management of ads.

Fortunately, Malwarebytes Browser Guard is free, and works with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, and it will block ads, trackers, and malicious sites.

https://malwarebytes.com/browserguard

Our iOS app also includes ad blocking and web protection technologies. On Android, unfortunately, Google does not allow ad blockers, but our Android app does have some basic web protection.

Yes, although at the moment, not with a single subscription. The iOS Mobile Security app cannot be activated with a subscription purchased from our website at this time. This will be changing very soon - hopefully, later this month, if all goes well - but until then you'd have to purchase an iOS subscription separately as an in-app purchase.

All your other devices will be covered by a subscription purchased from our site, or purchased within the Mac app. Just make sure you purchase for the right number of devices.

If you want to test things out, you can get free trials in all the apps. Mac trials are 14 day, and Android and iOS trials are 30 day.

Here's what I'd recommend to keep things simple: get trials right now, on all your devices. A trial gives you all the same functionality as a purchases subscription, just for a limited time. If you purchase a subscription in the Mac app when its trial runs out, you can start using that everywhere but iOS. As long as you've purchased for enough devices to cover iOS, you should be able to use the iOS app with your purchase as soon as it's updated, which should happen before the iOS trial runs out.

Important note: if you start an iOS trial, your credit card will get charged at the end of the 30 days unless you cancel. (That's the way App Store trials work.) Be sure to cancel that "subscription" before you get charged if you intend to use a purchase from the website.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

I hope all that makes sense... please ask if any of that is not clear.

3. The two routers (both separate passwords) are both attached to same modem which is attached to a phone line I think.  Will they both be covered under a single family account?

As Porthos mentioned, routers cannot be protected by Malwarebytes. I don't know of any antivirus software capable of protecting routers, because they're all running different systems and have different capabilities. Unfortunately, routers can and do get infected or hacked.

The good news is that it sounds like your routers are not accessible from the internet, unless you've got things configured in such a way that they are.

Most typically, with the setup you describe, only the Spectrum modem would be exposed to the internet. It acts as a relay, managing communication between the internet and our routers. Your routers are next in line, performing a similar task. They manage all the network traffic coming from your various devices.

This means the modem serves as a kind of shield, protecting the routers and all other devices on your network from being probed directly by remote hackers and bots. Since that's the most common way routers get infected, they should be okay.

HOWEVER... an outdated router that can no longer be updated is still a risk, as it will contain known vulnerabilities that someone could exploit if they could access the router. This could be done by someone within wireless range of the router, which may or may not be a concern depending on your locale.

The most secure thing to do would be to replace any outdated routers with a new, modern router that is still getting firmware updates from its manufacturer.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue
  • Like 1

Porthos, thank you so much – you are very helpful in working through my issues! I can’t believe you’ve given so much of your time to help us.  I really appreciate the detailed info.   Porthos said, “Malwarebytes does NOT protect ROUTERS.”  Okay, so I need a hardware firewall?  I picked out a Cisco and new Router (Lord help me … I study it all, reading reviews etc but most of everything they say is gibberish to me).  I don’t use AT&T so I hope the ‘unlocked’ says I can use it with Spectrum!

Alvarnell, you also have been quite helpful.  I think I’ll buy a new router.  The link to what I need to purchase from Malwarebytes is SPOT ON – much appreciated!  

Treed, I’m ready to order.  I downloaded trial Malwarebytes awhile back but it seems I must click it to scan and I want it to do it all automatically and want most robust protections so I think it’s time to purchase.  I’ll set up the browsers (I use Chrome and my hubby uses Firefox with BrowserGuard) and I’ll set up the iPads also. 

Treed said, “The good news is that it sounds like your routers are not accessible from the internet, unless you've got things configured in such a way that they are.”  They both are password protected but otherwise I’d have no idea.  Maybe I should place the hardware firewall between the phone line and the MODEM instead (?).  

Never mind the Cisco firewall – it doesn’t even have a slot for the phone line (only internet) so I guess it can’t go before the modem.  This is all mind-blowing stuff and if I bring our internet down, my entire family will EAT MY LUNCH!!  I guess I’ll take one step at a time – set up Malwarebytes, then buy new router and only then consider purchasing a firewall.

I’ll tell you one thing … the assistance I’ve gotten here:  I am a FAN of Malwarebytes now for life.  Wish me luck and, before I order the hardware, I plan to give it 24 hours (as I do any important decision) so any additional input will be welcomed as well.  THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!  YOU ALL ROCK!!  This stuff really exhausts me. ;-)

routher_and_firewall.jpg

@Grandma

Routers are also hardware firewalls. Most internet providers modems, are fairly safe out of the box. When paired with a router (do not skimp on the router when it comes to range, take into consideration the size and construction of your home.) when properly password protected (do not use default factory passwords) are pretty secure. Keep the router firmware up to date often.

Have an understanding with your household members to not do risky things like downloading copyrighted content.

Do not root any of your mobile devices, only use apps from the Apple/Android stores.

Most routers offer a "guest" network. Set that up if you allow non household members to use your connection.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grandma said:

Never mind the Cisco firewall

Agreed! Those are for large organizations that have a need for sophisticated access from outside their networks where they have to manage port utilizations that aren't easily configured by standard routers.

Not sure what you're after with that particular NETGEAR Mobile Hotspot Router for AT&T? It establishes a totally different network from the one provided by your Spectrum modem, so I don't understand how it fits in. Are you considering this as a replacement for Spectrum provided Internet access for your entire household?

• Thanks 1

Rockin' - then I can take that cisco off the list!  I just ordered for 4 devices.  As I finished posting and told my daughter what I was ordering, she told me (in a TONE, I might add, "MOTHER ... I have a MacBook too."  hahah!  So I did premium with four devices!  The Netgear I picked out?  I asked on Amazon and it was recommended.  I am CLUELESS about routers - too many and too many models.  Thank you for stopping me from making a terrible mistake!

On the Netgear, the person said, "I have a netgear nighthawk AC4000. It works. I also have a Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Mobile Router that has LAN passthrough, but will run on 4G if the high speed ISP is down for any reason. The M1 is a 4G hotspot that will run all data through your ISP, but if it goes down it will use 4G (fairly seamlessly). "  😕

Try as I might, what he said was baffling to me even after I tried to research it so I had decided to buy it since it sounded like he knew what he was talking about.  Can you recommend a router for us that will work with Spectrum modem?  No, I don't want to change providers or pay for an additional one.  I just want  a GOOD router which I can plug into the internet cable from Spectrum modem which I can access from web for settings configuration.  That Netgear r6300v2 was fine for us (strength wise) but I'd like to beef it up a bit.  Thank you!

image.png

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

do not skimp on the router when it comes to range, take into consideration the size and construction of your home.

Our home is 2,500 sq ft but we have a detached garage and we've had to run an internet cable from the modem out to there with the other router attached to it.  So this new router will be only for the house and the current Netgear R6300v2 worked fine - just kept getting 'internet is unstable' and spinning balls all the time.  You all are so helpful.  I'm open to recommendations on Routers - they are VERY VERY CONFUSING! I want to plug into Spectrum modem.

4 minutes ago, Grandma said:

Can you recommend a router for us that will work with Spectrum modem?  No, I don't want to change providers or pay for an additional one.  I just want  a GOOD router which I can plug into the internet cable from Spectrum modem which I can access from web for settings configuration.

All Routers will work. It is your choice. I do not have a recommendation. My entire house is hardwired and rarely use my wireless. Even if I did need the wireless, my home is 918sq feet.

I have a simple router. Been using it since 2018 and it still gets firmware updates. I am on 200 Spectrum. I got when I got the newer Spectrum service when Time Warner was taken over.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JD7F7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Thanks 1

Thank you, AdvancedSetup, for helping also!

What in your mind are you trying to achieve with a new router that the current one is not doing? Mostly protection since it won't upgrade its firmware (please forgive if I misspeak tech stuff).  I've read and been shown it is vulnerable AND I keep getting told I am unstable (ROFMAO - like it knows me personally hahah).  We also get a lot of spinning balls on YouTube but ONLY on devices connected to this Netgear r6300v2 router (which is two macbooks and two ipads).

What approximate speed do you pay for from your ISP? I looked on line and it says 200 Mbps and landline (which only my husband uses for some work calls) but rarely.  It seems that is the fastest Spectrum provides (at least here up in the boonies).

Is your home single story or more? Single story ranch style but separate garage which is approx (100' away).  That is WAG ... I'm terrible on lengths.

Oh my husband just said the detached converted garage is 180' away which is why we have a internet line between them.  And there are trees between us also so one router wasn't enough (at least back when it was first set up approx. 6-7 years ago).

• Root Admin

Part of the issue is that for consumer, home routers the built-in operating systems that control them often have issues and don't perform as rock solid as business units.

However, most consumers simply cannot spend the kind of money involved in professional business-class hardware.

The built-in firewall and routing services of a consumer router is typically more than enough as most users simply want to turn it on and have it work right out of the box.

For coverage and future growth, today you should consider a Mesh Wi-Fi system in a home your size. Trying to cover the entire home with a single router is why you're having those issues.

Here is an example article, please do not consider this a recommendation but simply more for you to read up on and take into consideration.

https://www.wired.com/story/best-mesh-wifi-routers/

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-mesh-router,review-5191.html

Once you've read up on the subject more and you have questions please let us know.

There are forums that are dedicated to networking but those are often quite advanced for many people

Cheers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grandma said:

It seems that is the fastest Spectrum provides (at least here up in the boonies).

I can get 400 speed for just $20 but I have not found the need for my use. Only 2 devices are always being used. When working on clients machines it is just 1-2 max at a time.

• Root Admin

In a home with only 1,600 Sq Ft. you probably need to use at least a router and one access point (often called a satellite). In very large homes of say 5,000 Sq Ft. you may even need two access points and the main router to have full coverage.

Yes, the Orbi looks nice on paper and should no doubt work well for most users, but it's always best to study your needs vs. the offerings. Then read reviews hopefully not just from Amazon (I suspect many reviews are not legit) but from other sources.

• Thanks 1

• Root Admin

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

I'm currently in the process of setting up my home network to use 10GB and that has many of its own issues and costs too. But I run many other computers and network access setups.

Have a good evening.

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Family with mixed configuration - Network questions
20 hours ago, treed said:

This will be changing very soon - hopefully, later this month, if all goes well - but until then you'd have to purchase an iOS subscription separately as an in-app purchase.

@treed With this you mean, that finally, will arrive also on the Italian Store (two iPhones and one iPad, soon a second one)? Thanks