[SOLVED] v4.5.3.162 CU 1.0.1579 regression - hang when activating license

Prerequisite

- Malwarebytes online installer v4.5.3.263 or newer. Note that this is only available by enrolling in beta at the moment I am writing this. It gets downloaded in "C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService" under a folder which name begins with "In". Copy it somewhere readily available.

Steps

- Uninstall Malwarebytes normally or via Support Tool;

- Run Malwarebytes online installer with undocumented command line option to install beta program directly*;

- Try activating license either via providing the key or by logging in, both activation means reproduce the problem.

Note (*)

I am aware this is unsupported and probably only Malwarebytes developers are supposed to know how to do this step, but this will become a real issue if/when Malwarebytes v4.5.3.162 CU 1.0.1579 hits general availability.

Edited by pal1000

Hello @pal1000:

For the average consumer client, uncomfortable with opening unfamiliar Malwarebytes directories, the supported standardized published procedures are much safer:

Enable beta updates in Malwarebytes for Windows

It is always safer if the user is made to read, understand, digest and then approve the warning notification popup before continuing.

Thank you.

Thanks @1PW for highlighting the supported way of installing beta updates. With that being said, these alternative steps might also reproduce the problem but I haven't tested them:

enroll in beta;

- upgrade to v4.5.3.162 CU 1.0.1579 then restart the system if prompted;

- disable premium then restart;

- try activating premium again.

Edited by pal1000

@pal1000 @1PW Well I don't think I will be in this situation but since I will be removing Malwarebytes temporarily to use my Win 10 for another test,  I was curious as to what would happen.   I was currently on the 4.5.3.162 beta and deactivated it to free.  Restarted the PC and then activated the licence. No problem---back as 4.5.3.162.  Only thing I can see that happens is that the Enable Beta  option has been reset.

I was going to zip up the pictures and post them as a zip file but don't know if that leaves them accessible to "ordinary members" or only Staff/Moderators can view them.  Maybe someone could enlighten me as regards that for the future.   Have temporarily stored them here in my BT Cloud.  

3 hours ago, RTL434 said:

@pal1000 @1PW Well I don't think I will be in this situation but since I will be removing Malwarebytes temporarily to use my Win 10 for another test,  I was curious as to what would happen.   I was currently on the 4.5.3.162 beta and deactivated it to free.  Restarted the PC and then activated the license. No problem---back as 4.5.3.162.  Only thing I can see that happens is that the Enable Beta  option has been reset.

That's normal because you can only enable beta updates when premium is activated.

3 hours ago, RTL434 said:

I was going to zip up the pictures and post them as a zip file but don't know if that leaves them accessible to "ordinary members" or only Staff/Moderators can view them.  Maybe someone could enlighten me as regards that for the future.   Have temporarily stored them here in my BT Cloud.  

Those pictures don't help much. nothing stood out to me there. Also judging by the fact you couldn't reproduce following the alternative steps which comply with Malwarebytes supported usage, it means the hang may only happen when activating from Malwarebytes `Getting started` screen.  If so the upgrade process itself hides the issue so the alternative and supported steps fail to reproduce the issue. However this issue may surface to supported usage when/if Malwarebytes v4.5.3.162 CU 1.0.1579 gets promoted to stable.

• pal1000 changed the title to [SOLVED] v4.5.3.162 CU 1.0.1579 regression - hang when activating license