Possible Issues With 4.5.2.157

moo4x

I updated a couple days ago. Win 10 Pro, 8 GB Ram, I5-4590.

Ever since the update:

1. MS Office license key was wiped; took several hours (including phone support from MS) to restore. That is now fixed. These aren't:

2. MS Phone app now only shows graphics, no text

3. PC has slowed down especially during boot & initial daily MBAM scan. Edited by moo4x

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

5 minutes ago, moo4x said:

But I am still wondering why did the issues start (& there's a few more I didn't list) immediately after the last update to MBAM?

You have a few tools that can "optimize/clean" the registry. those tools can cause more harm than good.

I do not know how well RegRun Security Suite Platinum plays along side Malwarebytes.

You also have several system errors that I think @AdvancedSetup can assist you with fixing.

• Like 1

• Root Admin

Hello @moo4x

Please consider uninstalling the following software

CCleaner (computer experts no longer recommend the use of this program)

This is a huge issue right here on Windows 10. In earlier versions of Windows, the Search service was not as critical but on Windows 10 and 11 it is essential that the Search Service is working well at all times.

Error: (01/24/2022 04:48:13 PM) (Source: Windows Search Service) (EventID: 7042) (User: )
Description: The Windows Search Service is being stopped because there is a problem with the indexer: Recovery phase failed.

Please see the following articles on correcting issues with Windows Search

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/shell-experience/fix-problems-in-windows-search

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-taskbar-search-not-working-windows-10

Two different programs from the Greatis software are also faulting. It's possible that the Windows Search may be affecting it, not sure. But this needs to be addressed too.

Error: (01/24/2022 01:46:57 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )
Description: The program regrun2.exe version 13.30.2022.111 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 570

Start Time: 01d8116b8de6e197

Termination Time: 4294967295

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Greatis\RegRunSuite\regrun2.exe

Report Id: 50a371b5-ff2f-4836-9d0f-5077299873eb

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hang type: Top level window is idle

Error: (01/24/2022 01:36:21 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )
Description: The program WatchDog.exe version 13.30.2022.111 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 10cc

Start Time: 01d811581958e39a

Termination Time: 151

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Greatis\RegRunSuite\WatchDog.exe

Report Id: b4600f95-7350-4ecf-a777-812fa047255f

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hang type: Unknown

Then you have the following error.

System errors:
=============
Error: (01/26/2022 10:29:50 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The Browser service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Error: (01/26/2022 10:29:50 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7009) (User: )
Description: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Browser service to connect.

Then Windows Defender antivirus is having issues as well

Date: 2022-01-25 21:03:51
Description:
Microsoft Defender Antivirus Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: On Access
Error Code: 0x80070013
Error description: The media is write protected.
Reason: Antimalware security intelligence has stopped functioning for an unknown reason. In some instances, restarting the service may resolve the problem.

Okay, looking at the other logs here in my opinion is the #1 problem with your computer.

(Tweaking LLC -> Tweaking.com) C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\WR_Tray_Icon.exe

Once someone, resorted to using that tool, that to me, indicates the computer was so badly and completely screwed up that no amount of fixes was able to correct it and this was the very last straw before wiping the computer and reinstalling Windows.

It's up to you as to what you do. I'll help you run some generic clean-up scripts, but if you really want a good, well-working computer my advice would be to back up your personal data and do a clean fresh install of Windows.

Greg Carmack - MVP 2010-2020 -Clean Install Windows 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

How to Create a Local Account While Setting Up Windows 10
https://www.howtogeek.com/442792/how-to-create-a-local-account-while-setting-up-windows-10/

If you'd like me to try to clean up the computer somewhat please let me know. I cannot guarantee the computer will be trouble-free and work well though. Only that perhaps we can reduce some of the current issues you're seeing.

Thank you

Thank you! I think I turned off Windows Search indexer; we were told in the 95-XP days to do so to speed up the system.

I'm willing to uninstall CC, but I haven't found anything that will clear all cache on Win 10. Reg Run did so through 7.

Any suggestions on that?

I'll try the suggestions to turn search indexer back on.

I don't remember what I used Tweaking for, but it was actually something that seemed minor. I am willing to uninstall it.

I figured this out,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/shell-experience/fix-problems-in-windows-search

I did have to go through the enable/disable process. Everything worked as stated except the word "done" didn't appear. Is there a way to check to see that search is back on?

Edited by moo4x
Figured out what I was doing wrong

• Root Admin

Fix the Windows Search.

Up to you I'm just giving my personal opinion having done Enterprise level computer support now for 30 years. No matter how well you think these optimization tools are they often can cause more problems than they purport to fix.

I know it's a lot of work but a clean fresh install of Windows just might amaze you at how much better and faster the computer runs.

Look at the other articles on how to fix the Windows Search. Get that working

Ditch the CCleaner, and I know you may have history with RegRun but ditch it too, this is Windows 10 it's not XP and it's not Windows 95 such tools are of no real true value. Windows 10 can do almost any type of maintenance needed (not propaganda of what some site make you think you need) by the system.

I'll write up a clean up script to go through and try to correct some of the issues.

Thanks @moo4x

• Root Admin

Give me time. I'm working on a script to run.

Do  you really still use this from 2011?

HKLM\...\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe [462400 2011-02-12] (Acronis, Inc -> Acronis)

Acronis Drive Monitor (HKLM-x32\...\{706AE61D-40A4-4F50-8359-FE8F6F7FA461}) (Version: 1.0.566 - Acronis)

Do you use Microsoft OneDrive for in the Cloud backup?

Assuming there are not Ads, Scams, etc. perhaps this software is okay (Driver Easy ) but generally speaking getting all the drivers should come from the Manufacturer of the computer.

BIOS: Dell Inc. A28 05/30/2019
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 073MMW

Dell can fully support and keep up to date all of the original installed hardware for the system. Using Driver Easy should not be needed or desirable.

Just input your Service Tag or better yet update the SupportAssist and allow it to locate all hardware and software updates for you automatically.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

There is also a Proxy Server setup on the computer. Did you set that up on purpose?

ProxyServer: [S-1-5-21-1017664891-4272025785-2422780731-1001] => http=127.0.0.1:8082

Hi, it's already running smoother. Answers:

1. Do  you really still use this from 2011?

HKLM\...\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe [462400 2011-02-12] (Acronis, Inc -> Acronis)

Acronis Drive Monitor (HKLM-x32\...\{706AE61D-40A4-4F50-8359-FE8F6F7FA461}) (Version: 1.0.566 - Acronis)

A. Not really. I have other newer hd monitors.  That tends to hang on shut down

2. Do you use Microsoft OneDrive for in the Cloud backup?

A. No

3. Assuming there are not Ads, Scams, etc. perhaps this software is okay (Driver Easy ) but generally speaking getting all the drivers should come from the Manufacturer of the computer.

A. I did install it, but I haven't trusted it to install any of the drivers it suggests.

BIOS: Dell Inc. A28 05/30/2019
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 073MMW

Dell can fully support and keep up to date all of the original installed hardware for the system. Using Driver Easy should not be needed or desirable.

Q. Unlike on XP, there isn't a Dell link in the start up menu. How would I access updates on Dell's site? Manually with the info you provided above? I'll kill Driver Easy now.

4. There is also a Proxy Server setup on the computer. Did you set that up on purpose?

ProxyServer: [S-1-5-21-1017664891-4272025785-2422780731-1001] => http=127.0.0.1:8082

A. My vague memory is something did at one time & I thought I had killed it.

I apologize, I learned on 95 & my strong knowledge only extends through XP.

Edited by moo4x
Typo

• Root Admin

Basically once you install Dell SupportAssist it will run and update. Then in the future you can just type in the Search field for SupportAssist and run it, by default I think it automatically may make a scheduled task to run periodically anyways.

Take a look at the following tool. Go through your installed programs and for programs you no longer use then simply uninstall them. No need in keeping software you're not using.

Like your Nero Info - that was a rather useless tool back in 2010 and in my opinion probably no better today. It's just not needed.

Total-Uninstaller
https://github.com/tsasioglu/Total-Uninstaller

• Root Admin

After you've uninstalled all the software you no longer want or use then run the following software to check and update any old common software.

Patch My PC Home Updater
https://patchmypc.com/home-updater

Then for cache clean up you can create a batch file if wanted that would clean that up, or even use Farbar FRST program to do the cleanup periodically.

Please temporarily disable any real-time protection and run the following fix.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks