Browser guard breaks my ability to Right click → Save As

Aeri
Go to solution Solved by gatortail,

Yesterday, everything was nominal

Today I discovered that in my chromium based browser and nowhere else, right clicking and saving would hang for a ridiculous length of time before carrying out, using the chromium task manager, I disabled the extension with the highest memory footprint, surprise, that happened to be Browser Guard, and ending its process instantly resolved the issue. 

I'm having the same problem.  Happens in Chrome or Edge - I disabled all extensions and turned them back on one by one.  After turning on Browser Guard, the Save As dialog takes at least 20 seconds to show up.  This just started happening yesterday.

I tried in Firefox as well to rule out OS issues (and I don't have any extensions with Firefox), and the Save As dialog shows up instantly there.

Same issue since update to Malwarebytes Browser Guard 2.3.15 with Chrome 97.0.4692.99 on multiple systems. Previous version of Browser Guard was fine. Delay was so bad I had to disable the extension.

See some sort of activity on Windows 10 taskbar where the Chrome application shows a green progress bar when nothing is actually happening. Afterwards you can see Chrome starts the download (temp file) but it does not actually show up in Downloads until like 10 seconds later. When it does show up it Chrome Downloads it is often completed immediately for small files, large ones show additional progress. It is definitely downloading before Chrome shows it is.

48 minutes ago, Ricardo667 said:

Any updates? This is very annoying.

The developers wont get to looking at this until at least Monday and then this is not an overnight fix. The actual cause of the issue needs to be found and the fix needs to be tested and then deployed.

It is possible this was caused by the last Chrome security patch. https://blog.malwarebytes.com/exploits-and-vulnerabilities/2022/01/update-now-chrome-patches-critical-rce-vulnerability-in-safe-browsing/

This is a Chrome/Chromium based browser issue Firefox is not affected.

Edited by Porthos
  • gonzo locked this topic