Windows Defender is disabled

Bob620

So, I installed Malwarebytes and got my free trial. During this free trial, Windows Defender got disabled, which I found normal, but since my trial has ended, Windows refuses to reactivate Defender due to "Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app." This seems a bit out of place considering I have a home computer.

I've done some research, and apparently if an anti-malware program is installed on your machine, Windows Defender disables itself, so I uninstalled Malwarebytes, it didn't fix the problem, so I reinstalled it

I'm certain this issue is with Malwarebytes as that's the only external anti-malware program that I've used, so, is there any way to fix this?

4 minutes ago, Bob620 said:

so I uninstalled Malwarebytes

Please use the support tool to uninstall, See the following guide. Be sure to not let the tool reinstall it.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please close all browsers and programs before running the tool. Right click and quit MB from the system tray also.

Once done it will attempt to reinstall both Malwarebytes and Privacy VPN.  Say no or close the window.

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Please use the support tool to uninstall, See the following guide. Be sure to not let the tool reinstall it.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please close all browsers and programs before running the tool. Right click and quit MB from the system tray also.

Once done it will attempt to reinstall both Malwarebytes and Privacy VPN.  Say no or close the window.

The thing is I want to have Malwarebytes AND Windows Defender, which worked for me in the past, but now, it doesn't

11 minutes ago, Bob620 said:

The thing is I want to have Malwarebytes AND Windows Defender, which worked for me in the past, but now, it doesn't

Then allow the reinstall after using the tool and see if that works if not we have more work to do.

Be sure to X out of the VPN install.

1 minute ago, Bob620 said:

I did that, and it didn't work

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

• Root Admin

Hello @Bob620

What is this batch file doing?

Shortcut: C:\Users\Zacharia Ahmad\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group1\2 - msdos.lnk -> C:\Windows\System32\msdos.bat ()

ATTENTION: System Restore is disabled

Please enable System Protection and create a new System Restore Point

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/system-restore-disabled-turn-on-system-restore-windows

Please uninstall the following old and compromised versions of Java

Java 8 Update 291 (64-bit)
Java(TM) SE Development Kit 11.0.11

We need to remove all of Malwarebytes and look at cleaning up some issues your computer is experiencing.

System errors:
=============
Error: (01/17/2022 09:55:07 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Error: (01/17/2022 09:52:07 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )
Description: The VMware NAT Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 3 time(s).

Please run our MBST tool and have it remove Malwarebytes software but DO NOT allow it to install anything. Let it restart the computer for the removal.

Then run the MBST tool again and get me new logs.

Can you please do the following?

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions but DO NOT reinstall Malwarebytes. Decline all installers.
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and restart to complete

After the restart please do the following

• In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

• Root Admin

Thanks, @Bob620

BRA Notifications: Default -> hxxps://repl.it

Are you sure you want this enabled or allowed? Push Notifications on your browser appear to be enabled.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Turn notifications on or off - Google Chrome

Web Push notifications in Firefox

Please download the following tool

Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/

Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center/Action Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender

Click "Scan"

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please attach the log to your next reply.

• Root Admin

Thank you @Bob620

Let me have you run the following, please.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Okay, please run the following new Fix. Please read the 3 notes about this fix and if you have any questions ask them before running the fix, otherwise, go ahead and run it and post back the new FIXLOG.txt as an attachment when ready. @Bob620A

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks