security tool help

erica

I did the system restore instructions. I am not seeing where to copy-paste combofix/install from?

Hi,

Those ESET findings will be removed after ComboFix is uninstalled and system restore resetted (instructions below) ;)

Well congrats, it appears your system is all clean Are you still noticing any problems? If not, it's time to secure your system to prevent against further intrusions.

THESE STEPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

Let's reset system restore

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected. Please note you need Administrator Access to do clean the restore points.

1. Turn off System Restore.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.

Click Properties.

Click the System Restore tab.

Check Turn off System Restore.

Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.

Click Properties.

Click the System Restore tab.

UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.

Click Apply, and then click OK.

NOTE: only do this ONCE,NOT on a regular basis

Now lets uninstall ComboFix:

• Click START then RUN
  • Now copy-paste Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK

Please download OTC and save it to desktop.

• Double-click OTC.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the
    Begin cleanup Process?
    prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

UPDATING WINDOWS AND INTERNET EXPLORER

IMPORTANT: You Need to Update Windows and Internet Explorer to protect your computer from the malware that is around on the Internet. Please go to the windows update site to get the critical updates.

If you are running Microsoft Office, or any portion thereof, go to the Microsoft's Office Update site and make sure you have at least all the critical updates installed (Free) Microsoft Office Update.

Make your Internet Explorer more secure

This can be done by following these simple instructions:

From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.

Click once on the Security tab

Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.

Click once on the Custom Level button.

Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt

Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable

Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable

Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt

Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt

Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt

When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.

If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.

Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

The following are recommended third party programs that are designed to keep your computer clean. A link as well as a brief description is included with each item.

• hosts file:
    • Every version of windows has a hosts file as part of them.
    • In a very basic sense, they are used to locate webpages.
    • We can customize a hosts file so that it blocks certain webpages.
    • However, it can slow down certain computers.
    • This is why using a hosts file is optional!!

Download it here. Make sure you read the instructions on how to install the hosts file. There is a good tutorial here

If you decide to download the hosts file, the slowdown problems can usually be avoided by following these steps:

1. Click the start button (at the lower left hand corner of your screen)
    2. Click run
    3. In the dialog box, type services.msc
    4. hit enter, then locate dns client
    5. Highlight it, then double-click it.
    6. On the dropdown box, change the setting from automatic to manual.
    7. Click ok

[*]Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. For more info, check this webpage out.

If you don't have a 3rd party firewall or a router behind NAT then I recommend getting one. I recommend either Online Armor Free or Comodo Firewall Pro (If you choose Comodo: Uncheck during installation Install Comodo HopSurf.., Make Comodo my default search provider and Make Comodo Search my homepage and install firewall ONLY!). Both providers have support forums that help with configuration related questions.

Just a final reminder for you. I am trying to stress these two points.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! Make sure you do this about every 1-2 weeks.

Make sure all of your security programs are up to date.

Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Once again, please post and tell me how things are going with your system... problems etc.

Have a great day,

Blade :blink:

I ran the OTC cleanup. Yeah!! I can't thank you enough!!! I was at the point where I was ready to just give up on the computer when I found this forum.

I will go take care of the windows and IE updates next. I do have a few questions though.

Should I go and delete the programs that were used to get me to this point (the dds, atf cleaner, JRE and that stuff)?

Also should I install malwarebytes now? Is it ok to use that and avg or should I just use malwarebytes?

Thank you thank you thank you again!!!!! I was so overwhelmed at first because I don't know much about any of this but you have it so clear that even I could follow it. Thank you again!

Should I go and delete the programs that were used to get me to this point (the dds, atf cleaner, JRE and that stuff)?

Yes, you may delete them. However, I'd keep ATF Cleaner and run it occasionally to free some space from temporary items. If you don't need Java then you may uninstall it.

Also should I install malwarebytes now? Is it ok to use that and avg or should I just use malwarebytes?

Yes, you may have those both running :blink:

Thank you!!! It is so awesome the way you all help total strangers the way you do!!

I was successfully able to install and run malwarebytes now. Are there any other virus protection programs that you would recommend?

Gosh, I seriously can not thank you enough!!

Hi, I did reinstall avg and malwarebytes but then thought that maybe there was something else I should be doing since I ended up with such a mess on my computer.

Thanks again for everything!!!!

Erica

Hi,

I assumed you would reinstall AVG and thus didn't give any recommendations regarding antivirus protection.

Good free antivirus programs are:

Antivir

Avast!

Good commercial ones are from:

Kaspersky and

ESET