If my Android device has other user accounts, am I still protected?

What I'm doing might not be how the functionality was intended, but my specific question is about something basic.

I have 2 different users on my phone: One that's for me specifically, and one that's for the people I live with. My account is premium-protected, but the general account does not even have Malwarebytes. 
My question is: If one of my housemates downloads/installs something shady, how much is at risk? For example, can we lose files stored on internal or SD memory?

I guess this question pertains to other types of devices (iPhone, PC) as well, but the question only occurred to me when I started sharing my phone.

• Confused 1

• Staff

Hi @wessltov,

Although the subscription is via the Google account, I think once it's activated on the mobile device it should be premium for all users.  On the other user account, verify if it's Malwarebytes Premium. 

To verify you have Malwarebytes Premium on Android:

1. Open Malwarebytes.
  2. Tap the menu icon.
  3. Scroll down to General.
  4. Tap Premium features.
  5. Look for a Your Premium subscription is active! message, as shown below.

DOC-2223-1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @mbam_mtbr,

My apologies for not responding sooner. If we consider my personal user account "user 1" and the shared account "user 2", user 2 does not have the same premium subscription that user 1 has. Whereas user 1 has a premium subscription through the Google Play Store, user 2 only has the premium trial.

I tried to remove the premium trial from user 2 to see if the paid premium from user 1 would take over, but I was unable to find a way to remove premium subscriptions. This also prevented me from trying a different plan: to remove the Google Play Store subscription from user 1 and replace that with a premium key, to see how that would affect user 2.

The only thing I can think of now is to wait out the premium trial, and see how things change then. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know!

• Staff
22 hours ago, wessltov said:

Hi @mbam_mtbr,

My apologies for not responding sooner. If we consider my personal user account "user 1" and the shared account "user 2", user 2 does not have the same premium subscription that user 1 has. Whereas user 1 has a premium subscription through the Google Play Store, user 2 only has the premium trial.

I tried to remove the premium trial from user 2 to see if the paid premium from user 1 would take over, but I was unable to find a way to remove premium subscriptions. This also prevented me from trying a different plan: to remove the Google Play Store subscription from user 1 and replace that with a premium key, to see how that would affect user 2.

The only thing I can think of now is to wait out the premium trial, and see how things change then. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know!

Hi @wessltov,

I would try an uninstall/reinstall.  When you reinstall, make sure you're using the "user 1" account when logged into Google PLAY.

22 hours ago, Porthos said:

I am going to be nosy but I did not know a cell phone can have 2 users. Cell phones are, from my limited experience, one phone per person.

@Porthos, yes, you can technically have more than one account.  People mostly use this feature to have accounts for their kids on an Android tablet, but you can do it with phones as well.