Uncheck Ipv6 ?

flight6sun

33 minutes ago, flight6sun said:

My previous VPN suggested disabling IPV6 because VPN's couldn't really mask it.  I see that everytime I reboot my PC the default for the mbvpn adapter has the IPV6 box checked, and I uncheck it again.  Does your vpn mask IPV6?  If not, is there a way to save the mbvpn adapter so it remembers to keep IPV6 unchecked?

Please try the following. Open an Elevated Admin command prompt and copy / paste the following and press the Enter key. You should get a success message.

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d 32 /f

Then restart the computer

image.png

This will set the IP preference to use IPV4 instead of IPV6 as recommended by Microsoft without actually disabling IPV6

Let me know if that helps correct the issue for you.

• Root Admin

IPV6 does not appear to be functional on your system at this time. It looks like regardless of whether you have IPV6 enabled or not it does not function, possibly due to a setting on your router or possibly your ISP.

Microsoft recommends that you do not disable IPV6 on your system.

image.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/configure-ipv6-in-windows

I ran the test you recommended after unchecking the IPV6 box on the mbvpn adapter.  I have seen the IPV6 box checked, and unchecked, after rebooting in the mbvpn network adapter.  It is inconsistent.  I definitely have IPV6 capability as I first noticed it on ipleak.net. 

The picture attached is the test you linked with the ipv6 box turned on. 

My question is how do I get your VPN to never use IPV6 in the mbvpn network adapter.  Do I have to manually verify after every reboot that it didn't turn IPV6 back on again?

ipv6teston.png

• Root Admin

Thank you for the clarification @flight6sun

At this time I'm not aware of a way within the program to disable IPV6 . I will submit an internal request to see if this option can be added to the program to choose IPV6 or not as an option.

We can do it with  PowerShell

The VPN adapter is created on the fly each time the connection is made so its not fixed that you can modify and retain the settings.

I believe the adapter in many cases will be name mbvpn

You can open PowerShell with Admin rights and run the following to see which interfaces are using IPV6 and their names.

Get-NetAdapterBinding | Where-Object ComponentID -EQ 'ms_tcpip6'

image.png

You can then use this command to disable IPV6 on that adapter mbvpn

Disable-NetAdapterBinding -Name 'mbvpn' -ComponentID 'ms_tcpip6'

image.png

Then run the same command again to verify that IPV6 has been disabled.

Get-NetAdapterBinding | Where-Object ComponentID -EQ 'ms_tcpip6'

image.png

Basically make two files. One batch file to call the PowerShell with a command to bypass the execution policy and run the PowerShell script.

Make a folder named C:\Scripts

Make a file named: C:\Scripts\disabble_ipv6_mbvpn.bat with the following contents

@echo off
C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "C:\Scripts\disable_ipv6_mbvpn.ps1"

Make a file named: C:\Scripts\disabble_ipv6_mbvpn.ps1 with the following contents

Disable-NetAdapterBinding -Name 'mbvpn' -ComponentID 'ms_tcpip6'

Then run the batch file with Admin rights after connecting Privacy VPN to the Internet and it will disable the IPV6 protocol

image.png

image.png

image.png

When I use your Privcy VPN, should I be seeing IPV6 results on test-ipv6.com or ipleak.net? 

If the answer is No, MWB should provide some instructions on your site to tell people how to prevent that from happening.  Because nearly every time I reboot my PC I can see traffic is going through IPV6.  And when I look at the mbvpn adapter the box for IPV6 is checked.

I used the term "disable".  Is that the wrong word?  Did you not understand what I was talking about in the context of this entire thread?  I unchecked an ipv6 box on your wireguard mbvpn adapter.  That's what my previous VPN recommended I do to stop IPV6 traffic with their VPN.  Are you telling me I should not do this?  What word would you use to describe that action of unchecking an IPV6 box?