An icon with a firefox logo on the desktop

Manaphy0220

Hi, today I found an icon called thenewwar on my desktop with the firefox logo that leads to store.steampowered.com/curator/somenumbers/sale/warframe. It leads to the steam store with the dlc to the game Warframe called The New War. I don't really know how was that icon created. Around the time it was made, I was browsing nexusmods website. I did scan my pc with ESET Online Scanner, Malwarebytes and Defender just in case and nothing wrong was found.

Is this something I should worry about? Or rather it was probably created by me clicking something unintentionally on steam or that nexusmods website?

A URL can be specifically applied to a Browser and a Link ( .LNK file ) can be created loading the Browser loading the URL as a shortcut on the Desktop such as ...

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/281981-an-icon-with-a-firefox-logo-on-the-desktop/

It will inherit the firefox.exe icon.

A URL shortcut can also be created ( .URL file ).  It will inherit the icon of the default Browser.  If the Default Browser is Firefox, it will inherit the Firefox icon.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/281981-an-icon-with-a-firefox-logo-on-the-desktop/

This is normal and should not be construed as malicious.  Albeit, a malicious process can certainly create a shortcut on the Desktop.

If there is something you don't recognize, Just delete it.