Jump to content

Microsoft Edge keeps creating a hidden folder (also restarting on its own)


Go to solution Solved by MKDB,

Recommended Posts

Hello @silhouette29 and :welcome:

 

My name is MKDB and I will assist you.

 

  • Please follow the steps in the given order and post back the logs as an attachment when ready. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus or other security software first. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • As English is not my native language, please do not use slang or idoms. It may be hard for me to understand.

 

 

 

Step 1

  • If you already have Malwarebytes installed, then open Malwarebytes and click on the Scan button. It will automatically check for updates and run a Threat Scan.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes installed yet, please download it from here and install it.
  • Once the MBAM dashboard opens, click on Settings (gear icon).
  • Click on Security tab and make sure that all four Scan options are enabled.
  • Close Settings and click on the Scan button on the dashboard.
  • Once the scan is completed make sure you have it quarantine any detections it finds.
  • If no detections were found click on the Save results drop-down, then the Export to TXT button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop.
  • If there were detections then once the quarantine has completed click on the View report button, then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If the computer restarted to quarantine you can access the logs from the Detection History, then the History tab. Highlight the most recent scan and double-click to open it. Then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run, then please skip to the next step and let me know in your next reply that the scanner would not run.

 

 

 

Step 2

Please download AdwCleaner and save it to your desktop.

  • Double-click to run it.
  • Accept the End User License Agreement.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, if items are found please click Next / Quarantine.
  • Maybe your PC will be rebooted, AdwCleaner will be opened automatically.
  • Click View Log File.
  • AdwCleaner will open one log (AdwCleaner[Cxx].txt).
  • Please attach the log to your next reply.

 

 

 

Step 3

Please download the suitable version of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it to your desktop: 32bit | 64bit

  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Check the box in front of Shortcut.txt.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • FRST will create three logs (FRST.txt + Addition.txt + Shortcut.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach these logfiles to your next reply.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MKDB said:

Hello @silhouette29 and :welcome:

 

My name is MKDB and I will assist you.

 

  • Please follow the steps in the given order and post back the logs as an attachment when ready. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus or other security software first. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • As English is not my native language, please do not use slang or idoms. It may be hard for me to understand.

 

 

 

Step 1

  • If you already have Malwarebytes installed, then open Malwarebytes and click on the Scan button. It will automatically check for updates and run a Threat Scan.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes installed yet, please download it from here and install it.
  • Once the MBAM dashboard opens, click on Settings (gear icon).
  • Click on Security tab and make sure that all four Scan options are enabled.
  • Close Settings and click on the Scan button on the dashboard.
  • Once the scan is completed make sure you have it quarantine any detections it finds.
  • If no detections were found click on the Save results drop-down, then the Export to TXT button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop.
  • If there were detections then once the quarantine has completed click on the View report button, then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If the computer restarted to quarantine you can access the logs from the Detection History, then the History tab. Highlight the most recent scan and double-click to open it. Then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run, then please skip to the next step and let me know in your next reply that the scanner would not run.

 

 

 

Step 2

Please download AdwCleaner and save it to your desktop.

  • Double-click to run it.
  • Accept the End User License Agreement.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, if items are found please click Next / Quarantine.
  • Maybe your PC will be rebooted, AdwCleaner will be opened automatically.
  • Click View Log File.
  • AdwCleaner will open one log (AdwCleaner[Cxx].txt).
  • Please attach the log to your next reply.

 

 

 

Step 3

Please download the suitable version of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it to your desktop: 32bit | 64bit

  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Check the box in front of Shortcut.txt.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • FRST will create three logs (FRST.txt + Addition.txt + Shortcut.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach these logfiles to your next reply.

 

 

Hello , Thank you so much for the reply

The Malwarebytes wont open after the quarantine process and restarts so I proceed to step 2 instead and here are the .txt files from your instructions , thank you

 

AdwCleaner[C00].txt Addition.txt FRST.txt Shortcut.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok @silhouette29, then let's do a  scan with MBST.

 

Step 1

  • Please download the Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST).
  • Run MBST.
  • In the left navigation pane of MBST, click Advanced.
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine.
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply.

Thank you.

 

Edited by MKDB
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, MKDB said:

Ok @silhouette29, then let's do a  scan with MBST.

 

Step 1

  • Please download the Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST).
  • Run MBST.
  • In the left navigation pane of MBST, click Advanced.
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine.
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply.

Thank you.

 

mbst-grab-results.zip

Here is the zipfile from MBST , Thank you

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Solution

Hi @silhouette29,

thank you very much for your logfiles.

It seems that here is a false positive of AdwCleaner regarding "Plash Player Pro" @jboursier , a logfile can be found here. You may need to reinstall it @silhouette29.

 

I would like you to run a fix with FRST (Step1) and do another scan (Step2).

Moreover, please report back about the message from MB as asked by @TwinHeadedEagle.

Thank you!

 

 

 

Step 1

  • Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the location where you ran FRST from ( C:\Users\Kikiam\Desktop\ ).

Note: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

  • Close all open programs and save your work.
  • Run FRST again.
  • Press the Fix button only once and wait. Please be patient.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
  • FRST will create one log now (Fixlog.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach this logfile to your next reply.

 

 

 

Step 2

  • Run FRST again.
  • Do not change any settings.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • FRST will create two logs now (FRST.txt + Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach these logfiles to your next reply.

 

 

 

 

 

 

fixlist.txt

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MKDB said:

Hi @silhouette29,

thank you very much for your logfiles.

It seems that here is a false positive of AdwCleaner regarding "Plash Player Pro" @jboursier , a logfile can be found here. You may need to reinstall it @silhouette29.

 

I would like you to run a fix with FRST (Step1) and do another scan (Step2).

Moreover, please report back about the message from MB as asked by @TwinHeadedEagle.

Thank you!

 

 

 

Step 1

  • Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the location where you ran FRST from ( C:\Users\Kikiam\Desktop\ ).

Note: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

  • Close all open programs and save your work.
  • Run FRST again.
  • Press the Fix button only once and wait. Please be patient.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
  • FRST will create one log now (Fixlog.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach this logfile to your next reply.

 

 

 

Step 2

  • Run FRST again.
  • Do not change any settings.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • FRST will create two logs now (FRST.txt + Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach these logfiles to your next reply.

 

 

 

 

 

 

fixlist.txt 3.66 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you so much for the response , here are the new .txt files from your instructions

Addition.txt Fixlog.txt FRST.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are doing a really good job here @silhouette29.

 

Ok. We are going to remove some orphans and check Windows system files, so the next FRST-fix (Step 1) will take some time (probably > 5 min). Please be patient.

As MBAM seems to be damaged, I would like you to uninstall and reinstall MBAM with Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST) what we have already used. After that, please run another scan (Step2) with MBAM and post the logfile.

Finally, we run a last scan to double check your system although I do not expect finding anything (Step3).

We are almost done, so keep up the good work! 😉

 

 

Step 1

  • Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the location where you ran FRST from ( C:\Users\Kikiam\Desktop\ ).

Note: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

  • Close all open programs and save your work.
  • Run FRST again.
  • Press the Fix button only once and wait. Please be patient.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
  • FRST will create one log now (Fixlog.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach this logfile to your next reply.

 

 

 

Step 2

Please use MalwareBytes Support Tool (MBST) again and uninstall+reinstall MBAM like described here.

After that, please run another scan with MBAM and post back the logfile like described here.

 

 

 

Step 3

The Microsoft Safety Scanner (MSS) is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

  • The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft.
  • Please let me know the results of this scan.
  • Run a Quick Scan.
  • The log is named MSERT.log.
  • The log will be at%SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

  • Please attach that log with your next reply.

 

 

 

fixlist.txt

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MKDB said:

You are doing a really good job here @silhouette29.

 

Ok. We are going to remove some orphans and check Windows system files, so the next FRST-fix (Step 1) will take some time (probably > 5 min). Please be patient.

As MBAM seems to be damaged, I would like you to uninstall and reinstall MBAM with Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST) what we have already used. After that, please run another scan (Step2) with MBAM and post the logfile.

Finally, we run a last scan to double check your system although I do not expect finding anything (Step3).

We are almost done, so keep up the good work! 😉

 

 

Step 1

  • Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the location where you ran FRST from ( C:\Users\Kikiam\Desktop\ ).

Note: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

  • Close all open programs and save your work.
  • Run FRST again.
  • Press the Fix button only once and wait. Please be patient.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
  • FRST will create one log now (Fixlog.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach this logfile to your next reply.

 

 

 

Step 2

Please use MalwareBytes Support Tool (MBST) again and uninstall+reinstall MBAM like described here.

After that, please run another scan with MBAM and post back the logfile like described here.

 

 

 

Step 3

The Microsoft Safety Scanner (MSS) is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

  • The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft.
  • Please let me know the results of this scan.
  • Run a Quick Scan.
  • The log is named MSERT.log.
  • The log will be at%SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

  • Please attach that log with your next reply.

 

 

 

fixlist.txt 248 B · 1 download

Thank you so much for your time and response 

Heres the 2 scan files 
MalwareBytes didnt found any but MSS found two

MB Scan Results.txt msert.log

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MKDB said:

You are doing a really good job here @silhouette29.

 

Ok. We are going to remove some orphans and check Windows system files, so the next FRST-fix (Step 1) will take some time (probably > 5 min). Please be patient.

As MBAM seems to be damaged, I would like you to uninstall and reinstall MBAM with Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST) what we have already used. After that, please run another scan (Step2) with MBAM and post the logfile.

Finally, we run a last scan to double check your system although I do not expect finding anything (Step3).

We are almost done, so keep up the good work! 😉

 

 

Step 1

  • Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the location where you ran FRST from ( C:\Users\Kikiam\Desktop\ ).

Note: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

  • Close all open programs and save your work.
  • Run FRST again.
  • Press the Fix button only once and wait. Please be patient.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
  • FRST will create one log now (Fixlog.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach this logfile to your next reply.

 

 

 

Step 2

Please use MalwareBytes Support Tool (MBST) again and uninstall+reinstall MBAM like described here.

After that, please run another scan with MBAM and post back the logfile like described here.

 

 

 

Step 3

The Microsoft Safety Scanner (MSS) is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

  • The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft.
  • Please let me know the results of this scan.
  • Run a Quick Scan.
  • The log is named MSERT.log.
  • The log will be at%SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

  • Please attach that log with your next reply.

 

 

 

fixlist.txt 248 B · 1 download

Heres the Fixlog from FRST , Thanks

Fixlog.txt

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent.

Nothing to worry about those two detections by MSS. The first one is not malicious itself, the second one seems to be a false positive.

To be honest, I don't think that programs like "Internet Download Manager" (second detection) are really needed, I do not recommend it.

 

 

Thank you for your cooperation, we're done. 🙂

 

Step 1

  • Right-Click on FRST64 and choose Rename.
  • Rename FRST64 into Uninstall.
  • Run Uninstall.
  • FRST and it’s files/folders will be deleted.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restarts normally.

 

 

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection.

Thank you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MKDB said:

Excellent.

Nothing to worry about those two detections by MSS. The first one is not malicious itself, the second one seems to be a false positive.

To be honest, I don't think that programs like "Internet Download Manager" (second detection) are really needed, I do not recommend it.

 

 

Thank you for your cooperation, we're done. 🙂

 

Step 1

  • Right-Click on FRST64 and choose Rename.
  • Rename FRST64 into Uninstall.
  • Run Uninstall.
  • FRST and it’s files/folders will be deleted.
  • If the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restarts normally.

 

 

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection.

Thank you.

Thank you so much , the folder in the C:\ProgramData isnt appearing anymore and my Microsoft Edge isnt restarting on its own ..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.