quit Malwarebytes for Mac app?

Will Malwarebytes for Mac continue Real-Time Protection if you quit the app? I saw an article that made it sound like if you quit Malwarebytes in Windows some of the services can't run, and I'm wondering if it's the same for Mac.

Basically, I want to know if it's OK to quit Malwarebytes for Mac, to not leave it open all the time. Will I still be protected?

Thank you!

• Staff

Actually, on the Mac, you ARE protected. The main app itself does not need to be running for RTP to continue to protect you. There are other background components that stay running, all the time, even if you quit the Malwarebytes app that you interact with. In fact, even if you went into Activity Monitor and killed those background Malwarebytes processes, they'll just pop back open again. Unless you turn off RTP within the app, or do something like reboot in safe mode or uninstall the Malwarebytes software, RTP will keep working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Are you talking the GUI and do you have the paid premium version?

This doesn't actually matter with the Mac client. Even if you're in Free mode, if you were to start a manual scan and then immediately quit the app, the scan is still going in the background, and will alert you if anything is detected.

3 hours ago, treed said:

Actually, on the Mac, you ARE protected. The main app itself does not need to be running for RTP to continue to protect you. There are other background components that stay running, all the time, even if you quit the Malwarebytes app that you interact with.

treed, thank you so much! It's an honor to get a response from the developer himself!

Being that Malwarebytes is a well-designed program, I figured it would alert me if I did something stupid like quit the app if the app needed to be running in order for me to be protected, but I wanted to make sure....

3 hours ago, treed said:

Actually, on the Mac, you ARE protected. The main app itself does not need to be running for RTP to continue to protect you. There are other background components that stay running, all the time, even if you quit the Malwarebytes app that you interact with.

A thought: Especially since it appears to work differently with Malwarebytes for Windows, the term "Quit" could be confusing in terms of whether you continue to be protected or not. So maybe instead of Quit Malwarebytes, for command-Q the app could say "Close Malwarebytes interface". Just a suggestion.

Although I would agree that "Close" might be a more correct term in such cases, I'd estimate that more than half of the apps on my Mac have background processes running without the app itself running in the foreground, every single app has a "Quit" command which I would guess is in accordance with Apple Developer guidelines.