1 min. of poor judgement, and a month of virus removal pain - only signs left application.nircmd

really? wow! 3 think its going to take a while for it to sink in that with your help, this little old pc has finally been recucitated.

Ok then F cleanupF should I remove combofix and hijackthis from my pc and how is it best to do? (I am thinking back to the application.nircmd which prompted me to ask for help.

Secondl from your experience, which free antivirus, firewall,anti spyware, anti spams would you suggest for me to reinstall that seem to prevent most infections and wont incapacitate this old pc much?

• Staff

Hi,

For Combofix, * Go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Make sure there's a space between Combofix and /

Then hit enter.

This will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, reset your clock settings, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and resets System Restore again.

For HijackThis, just uninstall via software > add&remove programs.

For an Antivirus, Firewall and Antispyware, see here: http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/Links.html

Glad I could help. :blink:

Please read my Prevention page with lots of info and tips how to prevent this in the future.

And if you want to improve speed/system performance after malware removal, take a look here.

Extra note: Make sure your programs are up to date - because older versions may contain Security Leaks. To find out what programs need to be updated, please run the Secunia Software Inspector Scan.

Happy Surfing again!

Hi again - I've uninstalled combofix and hijack this - and am happy to see that thestrange folder item has gone away that I originally had said existed before I reinstalled combofix. I just did a search for combofix and hiack this to make sure all was gone and I see an item for each under c:\windows\prefetch - should they still be there?

I'll review your suggestions now.

Thanks again for all your help!