Sudden PC shutdown and problems with turning it on

Manaphy0220

Hey, today my PC had suddenly shutted itself down and then when I tried to turn it on there was a sound of it working but after a while controls on mouse and keyboard turned off and nothing was happening (the screen was black). I tried cleaning it up a bit and turning it off completely (unplugged it). My friend suggested turning the power supply off and then tried to press the start button. I tried it and when turned the PC on, it was a black screen again and after some time controls on the mouse and started to glow and PC booted (I had to press the Num Lock tho) . I noticed that the area above the power supply was hot when it turned off and now it's normal (warm in one place and cool everywhere else). Do You have any idea what happened? There were problems with booting the pc in the past but usually it repaired itself after some time.

Edited by Manaphy0220

Dust will cause the system to run hot and go into a thermal shutdown.  In the power supply, you can use a can of compressed air and "blow out" the dust.  In the interior of the PC you can use a vacuum cleaner wand and a soft bristle paint brush.

Use the paint brush to gently dislodge the dust and the vacuum cleaner wand to suck it up.

If you see the PC power supply and interior is dusty and it is something you don't want to take on, bring it into a local "trust worthy" PC Repair Shop.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar

When I booted up the pc today, there was a simmilar situation: a black scren, controls on mouse and keyboard turned on and off and finally the Please wait on the blue screen. Aftet that everything was good. Normally, there should be a screen with options to boot BIOS and other tools but instead the screen was black until the Windows's Please Wait.

• Root Admin

Just for feedback on the age of this system @David H. Lipman

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F3 on 03/11/2014
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85M-D2V
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Percentage of memory in use: 37%
Total physical memory: 8087.38 MB
Physical memory available: 5,021.47 MB
Total virtual memory: 15255.38 MB
Available virtual memory: 11463.2 MB

It was dusty but not that much @David H. Lipman

So, I should update the BIOS, right? Or is it just because of an old age and nothing can be done? @AdvancedSetup

I've been looking for an update. Is it the correct site? Home » AMI Should I ask their support about the update? I don't think that I'll be able to find the right one myself.

Edit: I wanted to check their support and when clicked on it, this appeared (attachment). I pressed Cancel. There should be no problem, right?

It says: Log in to get an access to the website.

site.png

Edited by Manaphy0220

• Root Admin

I don't believe there is any updated BIOS that is going to really help improve the computer issues.

Cleaning the computer of dust and dirt is probably about the best you can do. If the computer continues to act up and not work well then it may be time to save up some money and look for another newer computer @Manaphy0220

Ok, thank You. I found a box of the motherboard. It's b85m-d2v. I don't know if it helps in anyway. I think I should start collecting money for a new PC if there is no other way. There shouldn't be any problems with the site from the screenshot, right?

I'd like to ask about this too: is downloading pictures (wallpapers etc.) found on Google generally safe or not?

Edited by Manaphy0220

• Root Admin

Downloading images can potentially be very dangerous. Many sites run all kinds of scripts that you don't know what they're running.

Use of uBlock Origin and Malwarebytes Browser Guard can greatly help reduce the risk but there is still risk. One should not just randomly go searching and downloading

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...