Not Fully Protected because no scheduled scan

Good Afternoon

Just received Malwarebytes version 4.4.10.144 Component Package 1.0.1499 and the dashboard has:

"Careful, you're not fully protected"

I do not have a scheduled scan, I did try it once, but I shut my system down at night and power it back up usually the next day, sometimes not

I don't have a set time I turn on my system and when I do, Windows always does it whatever Windows wants to do, when Windows decides to it, such as Daily Maintenance, Update the Store Apps and Automatic Restore points etc etc

Having a scheduled Malwarebytes Scan just got in the way and slowed my system down which was doing Windows tasks

I do  run a manual scan every couple of days when my system and I'm ready to run it

I just see what a scheduled scan has anything whatsoever with my system protection

It should be having accomplished a scan within a set number days, that all that need to be there. IMHOP

Screenshot 2021-11-04 142837.png

Screenshot 2021-11-04 142920.png

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

52 minutes ago, MSimm1 said:

I just see what a scheduled scan has anything whatsoever with my system protection

It should be having accomplished a scan within a set number days, that all that need to be there. IMHOP

Welcome to 4.4.10. They moved the warning to be in your face. Do like i do and ignore it. As long as all 4 toggles are on in the interface you are protected.

I also scan manually myself even though I have no system slowdowns during a scheduled scan.

image.png.47917d1284bf5306b6c6e8ea4038cbad.png

Edited by Porthos

• Staff

@MSimm1 Thanks very much for the feedback! We'll try to get the dismiss functionality added to Scheduled scans ASAP. Also, out of curiosity, have your tried the Scan reminder feature to periodically remind you to run a scan? That might be something you find helpful if you prefer not to have automated scheduled scans. Let me know if you have any feedback on the Scan reminders pls/thx!

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Welcome to 4.4.10. They moved the warning to be in your face. Do like i do and ignore it. As long as all 4 toggles are on in the interface you are protected.

I also scan manually myself even though I have no system slowdowns during a scheduled scan.

image.png.47917d1284bf5306b6c6e8ea4038cbad.png

My system does, not a grinding halt slowdown, but a slight slowdown by watching the busy indicator during the scan and the number files scanned

Sometimes, I think Windows 10 is trying to run a background task / service during the Malwarebytes scan that causes it

I have never had anything quarantined in either Defender or Malwarebytes and every scan completes with no threats found / detected, since as far back as I can remember.

1 hour ago, H4V0C said:

@MSimm1 Thanks very much for the feedback! We'll try to get the dismiss functionality added to Scheduled scans ASAP. Also, out of curiosity, have your tried the Scan reminder feature to periodically remind you to run a scan? That might be something you find helpful if you prefer not to have automated scheduled scans. Let me know if you have any feedback on the Scan reminders pls/thx!

Thank you for the reply

I have not tried that, but will and let you know

2 minutes ago, MSimm1 said:

I have never had anything quarantined in either Defender or Malwarebytes and every scan completes with no threats found / detected, since as far back as I can remember.

That is because you a safe and cautious user.

2 minutes ago, MSimm1 said:

I have not tried that, but will and let you know

That will not change the unprotected warning until the  following is done to the display. It will just remind you to scan if a scan has not been done in the time frame you select.

3 minutes ago, MSimm1 said:

We'll try to get the dismiss functionality added to Scheduled scans ASAP

I too vote for the ability to dismiss that warning.  I have no scheduled scans for any protection app (Bitdefender Total Security, Malwarebytes Premium, or Windows Defender) on either of my computers, and I never have.

I have never had a malware infection, although my anti-virus of the time (Norton) did detect a threat once and terminated it, with extreme prejudice, back in 1991.  I consider my computers to be fully protected, and so did MBAM until this latest component build.  If you can't revert this "improvement", then I would like to have the capability to turn it off in Settings, assuming that it would be enabled by default to maximize protection for those persons not as conversant with malware as some others with more experience.

Just my two cents.  This is just a minor quibble with an otherwise excellent product that I consider to be a key component of my computer security and which I recommend to my computer clients.

Thank you for your consideration.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garioch7 said:

I consider my computers to be fully protected, and so did MBAM until this latest component build. 

In the precious version it had a warning but not so obvious. It was the shiled here and it had a red dot until you clicked it.

image.png.9a802cb92758b15b53b782d1196bc356.png

Then after you clicked it it showed this. It was too easy to ignore.

image.png.2f4901d51dbcef6e3609cda3ea279a81.png

• Staff
2 hours ago, garioch7 said:

I too vote for the ability to dismiss that warning.  I have no scheduled scans for any protection app (Bitdefender Total Security, Malwarebytes Premium, or Windows Defender) on either of my computers, and I never have.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll get this straightened out ASAP.

I'm coming late to the party, but I too find it annoying to be eroneously told that I'm not fully protected merely because I don't schedule a scan. I scan with MB just about every day.  A set time doesn't work for me--I do so when it's most convenient. When this erroneous notice first appeared, I wasted valuable time trying to figure out what was wrong. Now I know I should merely ignore the misleading notice, but it annoys me nonetheless.   And no, I don't need or want a reminder.  

• Staff
57 minutes ago, whatmeworry? said:

I'm coming late to the party, but I too find it annoying to be eroneously told that I'm not fully protected merely because I don't schedule a scan. I scan with MB just about every day.  A set time doesn't work for me--I do so when it's most convenient. When this erroneous notice first appeared, I wasted valuable time trying to figure out what was wrong. Now I know I should merely ignore the misleading notice, but it annoys me nonetheless.   And no, I don't need or want a reminder.  

Apologies for the oversight. The team is currently working on this and we're hoping to deliver the fix in the next couple weeks. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 3:56 PM, H4V0C said:

...Thanks very much for the feedback! We'll try to get the dismiss functionality added to Scheduled scans ASAP....

Are users now able to dismiss Security Advisor warnings if scheduled scans are disabled in the latest Malwarebytes v4.4.11.149-1.0.1513 (re. 18-Nov-2021)? Erix's release notes <here> mention some improvements to Security Advisor but don't say if this specific issue with scheduled scans has been addressed.