possible infection

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

• Solution

Hello @bhansen    :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will guide you.  The scan report from Malwarebytes for Windows is just fine.  It is good.

Here are the next steps.  I suggest a new scan for viruses & other malware.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Look on Scan Options & select FULL scan.

Then start the scan. Have lots of patience. It may take several hours.

• Oce you see it has started, take a long long break;  walk away.  Do not pay credence if you see some intermediate early flash messages on screen display.  The only things that count are the End result at the end of the run.

Let me know the result of this.    This is likely to run for many hours   ( depending on number of files on your machine & the speed of hardware.)

The log is named MSERT.log  

the log will be at  

Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

Thank you. 

Next I suggest to get & run the latest ( current) Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool for Windows.

This is something normally a part of the quarterly Microsoft Update.Download & save MSRT from this link at Microsoft Download Center      Disregard the top part with what look like ads / promos.  Scroll down & see the Download button
Be sure to first SAVE the file to the Downloads folder or else, to the DESKTOP
When download completed, do a RIGHT-click with the mouse pointer & choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR   & allow it to go forward.
IF prompted about are you sure, Reply YES.

• Next select QUICK scan.

If malicious software has modified (infected) files on your computer, the tool prompts you to remove the malicious software.

• The Malicious Software Removal Tool scan log is located at: C:\Windows\Debug\mrt.log.

Please attach that log with your next Reply
If no infections were found, you will see in your log ( at the very bottom )

Results Summary:
----------------

No infection found.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.  We can proceed with cleanup of tools we used.

To remove the FRST64 tool & its work files, do this. Go to your C:\Users\bhans\OneDrive\Desktop folder. Do a RIGHT-click on FRST64.exe & select RENAME & then change it to

UNINSTALL.exe

Then run that ( double click on it) to begin the cleanup process.

Delete msert.exe

Any other download file I had you download, you may delete.
Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

I am marking this case for closure.
I wish you all the best. Stay safe.
Sincerely.

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you