Assurancewireless/UMXU693CL: Google Play Services blocked!?

Dear Malwarebytes community,

I think we have a serious problem, I am currently trying to diagnose this but Assurancewireless may have just blocked certain UPD/TCP communication protocols and ports that connect to Google Play Services, just a few days ago o the U693CL phone I lost the ability to update my apps in my phone via Google Playstore, not only that but the same communication protocols needed to download firmware updates has just been blocked as well.

When one tries to update or install apps it just never works: the only way to download a firmware-update or Apps or update apps via Google Play is the need for Wifi.

I have already contacted Assurancewireless on the matter and filed a formal complaint: they are aware of the issue and so far I have not gotten any word back from them.

They say their answer is a new phone - that's their answer 90% of the time.. Get a replacement.. i am going to be doing a factory reset to see if this would fix the issue, however I have my doubts... Reason being is because when I cast my internet from the UMX phone of assurance and make a hotspot so my other devices can connect to it I get the same issue.. Multiple Ports blocked and closed, apps unable to update, not able to get firmware updates etc.. the same issue happens to the other devices unless I drop the wifi connection off my Motorola for example and use the MintMobile Network data or another Wifi connection.

if Factory resetting and replacing the phone does not solve this issue with Assurancewireless this confirms with out a doubt that Assurancewireless just put millions of Handsets in danger of security and functionality.

No one with this phone and the service of Assurancewireless will be able to properly protect themselves from vulnerabilities found in any of the apps of google or any other developer(s) have made and created updates to continue functionality and safety for those apps.

I have already tried to update the firmware to the latest firmware to see if this would resolve the issues and to no avail I still suffer the same fate.

This means millions of users are possibly at risk and will no longer be able to install Apps from google Play store or get firmware updates, If you or anyone else has experienced this issue of not being able to install/update apps or download and install firmware updates for the UMXU693CL, and you have tried to no avail to hard reset the phone and even order a replacement and the same issue develops - STOP AND CEASE USE OF THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY! This is a warning to all whom have this phone and are under assurancewireless! You're privacy, data is at great risk!

Sincerely yours,

Kai @ PCER L.L.C

Screenshot_20211019-003625[1].png

Screenshot_20211018-233334[1].png

• Staff

Hi @Brickstin,

What Android OS is it running right now?

Try this:

1. Go to Settings > App Info
  2. Go to Google PLAY Store app and click on it
  3. Click FORCE STOP button
  4. Click the three dots at top right (menu), and select Uninstall updates
  5. Immediately open Google PLAY Store and install/update apps that didn't work before
    1. Note you need to do this before Google PLAY Store updates itself to latest version again

This issue happens to me on some of my old test phones when trying to install certain apps.  Not sure why, but this is my workaround.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:50 AM, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Brickstin,

What Android OS is it running right now?

Try this:

1. Go to Settings > App Info
  2. Go to Google PLAY Store app and click on it
  3. Click FORCE STOP button
  4. Click the three dots at top right (menu), and select Uninstall updates
  5. Immediately open Google PLAY Store and install/update apps that didn't work before
    1. Note you need to do this before Google PLAY Store updates itself to latest version again

This issue happens to me on some of my old test phones when trying to install certain apps.  Not sure why, but this is my workaround.

That didn't work, now it won't even show updates available.. Its not even connecting to the store at all.. It shows no updates.. THIS is a univeral situation within the network.. NOT thep hone.. I have turned on this phone's HOTSPOT to send internet to my laptop and my other phones.. My other Phones that run android are not able to connect to the playstore and google play services to DOWNLOAD app updates either.. 

now it wont even show that I have any installed apps in the play store.. I GOT NOTHING the entire list is gone.. 

I don't know why I even bothered to try this when I knew more than likely it would not work.. BUT my PHONE PROVIDER BLOCKED Those ports that involves the services.. 

My PHone is completely unprotected.. COMPLETELY I cannot get firmware updates I cannot get anything.. 

I had already said in my Original POST that My other devices that I have connected to this primary phone's hotspot ARE NOT able to connect..

If I Disconnect those Android devices or tablets OFF this UMX PHone's hotspot and use another wifi source they DOWNLOAD Perfectly with no issues what so ever.. 

Update:

I Hard reset/formatted the phone, still no dice: this means that the network provider (Assurancewireless) has more then likely globally blocked the proper UPD/TCP Ports preventing Google Play Services & Google Play Store from properly communicating with Google Servers.

This potentially means that every single Assurancewireless customer can no longer get playstore downloads/app updates or firmware updates - Assurancewireless has created a National Security threat on a Global scale: someone needs to contact the FCC and the FTC, this is extremely dangerous and could potentially allow cyber terrorists to infiltrate the network of Assurancewireless/UMX on a global scale via insecure/ out of date apps/ security loops in the handset due to lack of update firmware....

PLEASE EVERYONE BE AWARE: YOU'RE PRIVATE INFORMATION COULD BE IN 100% IN DANGER!

App/Firmware updates are put out for a reason - to insure everyone's security & Safety for Networks & handsets & keep Telecommunication/Cellular Providers Secure and operational, Patches/App updates/Service Updates/Firmware updates must be provided for everyone's continued safety and prevent any undesirable operation or disruption of Technological communication services. 

Handsets rely on Data network services to function ( We don't live in Analog days anymore) - it's no different than a computer/laptop connecting to a network with internet allowing world wide communications to send and receive data on a daily basis. 

With potential security breaches, one's handset can turn into a drone for a hacker/cyber terrorist and do anything illegal they wish from using your phone information to steal credit/financial info and rob you of your finances to committing Felony level crimes in your name, I have had my identity stolen once and someone tried to open up a business in Rio of Brazil, I was even wanted in Louisiana when I have never been there in my life. I almost ended up in Jail, lucky I was able to get into the clear after a thorough investigation that saved me.

I don't think anyone wants their handset to be used illegally to commit terrorism on any scale what so ever,  to even using your phone to communicate with other terrorists or hackers. 

I ran a Computer Business out in Indiana of South Bend, PCER LLC, I have relocated to MN and started Cyber Patrol Division to provide online security & awareness to the public to help better safeguard online communities - So I have a bit of experience and knowledge in the technological lane.

I am going to request another handset and do thorough testing on that new unit, I hope that this is just an isolated incident: If I get the same result(s) with the replacement handset then this will confirm my findings, I will keep everyone posted.

Best Regards,
                     Kai

^lack of updated firmware"
100% In Danger!"

P.S Malwarebytes Administration please consider allowing members to edit their posts after posting - there is times that as a human being we miss something especially when so focused on something crucially important ( Allow every new Post to be edited within 5 mins) this way I don't have to make another post to correct my typos...