Google Drive Desktop App - Keeps Failing

Hi there, the new Google Drive Desktop App keeps failing on my MacBook macOS Big Sur 11.5.1. I am not sure if MalwareBytes is blocking Google Drive.

I was asked by Google Support to uninstall MalwareByte as per these instructions https://support.google.com/a/answer/7491144

"

Anti-virus software: Certain virus detection and security software can interfere with the operation of Drive for desktop. If you have virus scan software running on your computer and repeatedly see the error "Drive File Stream encountered a problem and has stopped", try excluding the Drive for desktop from your virus scan. For Windows, the default is G: (or whatever the user has configured). For MacOS, the default is /Volumes/GoogleDrive (or whatever the user has configured). 

"

I didn't found any settings to whitelist Google Drive in MalwareBytes. So my questions is if anybody knows if Malwarebyte is blocking Google Drive or not? Can anybody elaborate what to do and how to run both programs together?

Thank you!

You can try inserting the exclusion according to when stated in this support article Exclude detections in Malwarebytes for Mac

The feature is available since version 4.11 released on July 7, 2021

I hope this advice can help you

Have a nice Sunday

Massimiliano

PS: The current version of Big Sur is 11.6 (20G165).
Tomorrow 25/11/2021 should be released to the public macOS 12 Monterey presumably from 10 am (Cupertino Time - In EU from 19:00)

Edited by Massimiliano
Correction for greater clarity
  • Like 1

Thank you. I just did it.

I actually was not even aware that this menu existed. I was looking to find this and in the Malwayrebytes settings, there is no menu / hint were to find it.

For Malwarebytes team, I would really appreciate if you reach out to Google and verify that Malwarebytes works flawless with Google Drive.

Thank you!

Hello @MacAddict & @Massimiliano:

MacAddict: You are likely to find the Malwarebytes' support server is always quite helpful. Malwarebytes for Mac guide. Even if your MacBook notebook is ineligible for the macOS Monterey update tomorrow, an update for Big Sur to 11.6.1 will still likely be available.

Massimiliano: It's likely you meant 25/10/2021 vs 25/11/2021. (If it is November now, I haven't paid my bills for a month 😀) It is always very likely the Malwarebytes' staffers/devs have been monitoring the Google Drive for desktop app long before clients notice issues but it doesn't hurt to double check.

Cheers

6 hours ago, 1PW said:

Massimiliano: It's likely you meant 25/10/2021 vs 25/11/2021.

October 25 without a shadow of a doubt. It is a glaring typo

Thanks for pointing that out to me. No one is infallible. I, then, less than others

(If it is November now, I haven't paid my bills for a month 😀)

I hope not for you. In Italy you would suffer penalties and interest of absurd levels, even for a few days.

Edited by Massimiliano

• Staff

Google Drive is extremely common, and we haven't had any reports of conflicts, so I think it's very unlikely that Malwarebytes is causing this problem.

If Malwarebytes is detecting or blocking anything, it should show notifications in the macOS Notification Center. It would also log that in the Activity Log, found on the same screen as the Allow List. If you do see any repeated notifications or entries in the Activity Log when you're trying to use Google Drive, let us know.

• Like 1

• Staff

It's very unlikely that we could affect any change to what Google support is recommending. It is almost an unwritten rule of support everywhere to "blame the antivirus first." (Heck, maybe it's actually written for some organizations.)

Generally speaking, if you turn off real-time protection features and are still experiencing issues, that should be enough to allow you to proceed with support from companies that do this kind of thing.