Realtime ransomware protection will not turn on

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Just now, Ontical said:

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

I'm sorry the software isn't working properly but we'll do our best to help.

To begin, Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

1 hour ago, Ontical said:

Sorry, I had to turn off my laptop for a while.

I have restarted, issue is still there.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please close all browsers and programs before running the tool. Right click and quit MB from the system tray also.

• Root Admin

Hello @Ontical

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and uninstall the following

Bonjour
CCleaner (computer experts no longer recommend this program)

Please enable System Protection and create a new System Restore Point
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/175367-how-enable-disable-system-restore-configuration-windows.html

Windows Defender believes this to be a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) - not all Torrent clients are good or clean. You should uninstall this.
C:\Users\johna\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

Please temporarily disable Folding at home.
Startup: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Folding@home.lnk [2021-06-06]

After correcting the above please restart the computer and let us know if that corrects the issue or not.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Okay, please do the following

Can you please do the following?

• In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall. The computer will restart to complete

After the restart please do the following

• In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

• Root Admin

The controller for ransomware protection keeps getting an error. Let me have you run another antivirus scan just to double-check and make sure there isn't something bad on the system.

Let me have you run a different scanner to double-check. I don't expect it to find anything, but no harm in checking.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

• It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes 
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan 
  • Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on the Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
  • There is a progress window display.
  • You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g. their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at the bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Note: If you do need to do a File Restore from ESET please follow the directions below

[KB2915] Restore files quarantined by the ESET Online Scanner version 3

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2915-restore-files-quarantined-by-the-eset-online-scanner

Thank you @Ontical

10 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Also, the logs indicate that some of the requested changes were not made. That may be due to an old log. We'll grab new logs once the ESET scan has completed

I am currently performing a scan and awaiting the results.

I don't understand, which changes were not made? I removed uTorrent, CCleaner and Bonjour etc. 100% they are not on my machine. I definitely did everything you asked for.

Anyway, I will upload the log from the scanner.

Oh, I did perform a scan with Malwarebytes itself - nothing was detected.

2 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

No problem. I think one of the logs was just old is all.

It's late here for me but I'll check back on you a bit later or tomorrow morning for the results of the scan and we'll go from there.

Thank you

lol This is going on for eternity.

I don't know why support haven't got back to me, they were always pretty quick in the past.

Hope I don't have to reinstall Windows.

• Root Admin

@Ontical

Please run the Malwarebytes MBST tool again and do the clean removal, but do not allow it to reinstall Malwarebytes just yet.

Can you please do the following?

• In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions but DO NOT reinstall Malwarebytes or Privacy
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove. The computer should restart to complete.

After the restart please do the following

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

I'll check back with you in the morning.

Thank you