Just updated MWB on Android and now it won't open

• Phone carrier:  Ting
  • Phone brand and model (i.e. Samsung Galaxy S8+): Samsung A20
  • Which Android operating system you are running: 11
  • If your phone is rooted: I have no idea what this means.
  • If you are running any other security software: No

OK, I just updated all my apps on Google Play, including Malwarebytes. There were also phone updates. I downloaded all of them, rebooted my phone, went to start MWB and I keep getting an "Oops! Timed Out" message when I try to open it. My phone is connected to Wi-Fi right now (which I ONLY use since I don't have unlimited data plan). The rest of the apps are working fine and I can pull up websites on Firefox, so the connection to the internet is fine. I'm typing this on my desktop right now and MWB is working fine on that computer.

If you have suggestions, explain it like I'm 5 because I pretty much only use this phone to make phone calls, text, take photos (and pretty much snap and take a photo - no clue how to use the rest of the camera features), and for the calendar function. Should I uninstall this and reinstall, and if so, how do I then enter my registration key? I really hate not having this work on my phone.

Also, I don't ever remember seeing a prompt to update MWB through Google Play before. It always just updated directly through the app, but when I went to my Google Play account, it showed all my current apps and it was listed, so I clicked update.

Thanks.

Edited by AutumnColors

7 minutes ago, AutumnColors said:

Should I uninstall this and reinstall

Yes

7 minutes ago, AutumnColors said:

how do I then enter my registration key?

It may reactivate itself. did you purchase the license from the Malwarebytes website or from Google Play?

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

OK, so uninstalling and reinstalling didn't do anything. It won't even open up to get me to the Dashboard. It starts to open and then says: "Oh Snap! Your request timed out."

I went into the settings > app permissions and it's being denied all permissions. I have no idea what it needs to be set to, but I hadn't changed it. Help!

• AutumnColors changed the title to Just updated MWB on Android and now it won't open

I went into settings >apps > MWB and the only thing it let me add was "Storage". I can't figure out how to add other things on the list. When I click on anything, a text bubble pops up with a description, but that's it. Is there some other way to get to this permissions list other than settings > apps > MWB?

On 10/16/2021 at 2:04 PM, AutumnColors said:

I went into settings >apps > MWB and the only thing it let me add was "Storage". I can't figure out how to add other things on the list. When I click on anything, a text bubble pops up with a description, but that's it. Is there some other way to get to this permissions list other than settings > apps > MWB?

I am not that familiar with MB for Android as I do not use it. I will ask @mbam_mtbr  or @jtodd234to assist.

Edited by Porthos

I went into settings >apps > MWB and the only thing it let me add was "Storage". As far as I can tell, that's the only thing listed that it needs permission for. I rebooted my phone again. It's not opening. It's the only app on my phone that's not working, and this only just started since this update.

Is this a possible bug? I saw the disclaimer that you're not a MWB employee. Will someone from MWB even see this thread since there are multiple responses on it ... will they assume it's being taken care of?

This has to be something to do with this update.

So no one from MWB has shown up here to respond. I still can't open the program in my phone at all, but I did get a notification from the program that my phone "has issues," yet I still get the "Oh Snap! Your request timed out" message when I try to open it.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? As far as I know, there's no other anti-virus/anti-malware software running on the phone.

2 hours ago, AutumnColors said:

So no one from MWB has shown up here to respond.

Most of the staff is off on weekends. I have tagged 2 staff members to assist.

You can also contact support directly as well.

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help Please submit only one ticket.

Be advised it can take 3-7 weekdays for a response after the automated reply with your ticket number.

Hi @Autumn,

Sorry for the delay.  Thanks for assisting @Porthos!  Solid advice, but this one is up to support (not even me) to fix.

Our Malwarebytes Support can get you fixed, but we are going to need you to submit an Issue Report.

You can submit an Issue Report without opening Malwarebytes for Android using the following instructions:

• Long press the Malwarebytes app icon
  • Select Contact support from the menu that pops up
  • Choose an email app to send Issue Report

Once again sorry for the delay,

Someone from support fixed my Malwarebytes on my phone. Please lock this topic. I'm going to post what was done below for future reference for others, but you'll need the help of someone from support by initiating a support ticket.

They had me do the following:

1) Go into Settings > apps and then into each of the following: Google Play Store, Google Play Services, and Malwarebytes. Clicked on STORAGE and then deleted cache and deleted data.

2) Exited out of SETTINGS and uninstalled Malwarebytes.

3) Shut down the phone for 5 minutes and then rebooted it.

The above was what I was told to do first and then NOT to reinstall, but to email my support contact (through responding to the support ticket email) to let them know I'd done that. Support then reset my license key and emailed me to reinstall the app, and steps how to re-enter the license key.

Malwarebytes on my phone is now back to normal.

Thanks for all of your help here (and to Support).

• Thanks 1