Browser Guard causing "Serious Sytem Failure" messages in hsbc.com.au

td47
Go to solution Solved by gonzo,

I recently added the MWB Browser Guard to my default browser (Firefox), and it now gets issues after logging in. When first trying to display the account summary,  it will show warnings with red borders about a "Serious System Failure".  I tried ticking the "trust this" in the track block items, but no change. I then tried turning off ALL the protections for the specific site, still failing with these odd error warnings. I could only get the site to work normally by disabling Browser Guard completely. I will try to add some screen shots with it active.

Note: I even got an "Internal Server Error" back while testing a minute ago, with BG active.  Other items of note:

NOTE: there are other "sub-domains" used for different security driven parts of the HSBC banking service, e.g.:

https://www.services.online-banking.hsbc.com.au (For driving this):

https://www.services.online-banking.hsbc.com.au/gpib/group/gpib/cmn/layouts/default.html?uid=dashboard

AND this one:

https://www.security.online-banking.hsbc.com.au (for driving this):

https://www.security.online-banking.hsbc.com.au/gsa/SECURITY_LOGON_PAGE/

SYSTEM_FAILURE_ERROR_USING_BG.jpg

SYSTEM_FAILURE_ERROR2_USING_BG.jpg

Edited by td47
disabled live hyperlink
  • td47 changed the title to Browser Guard causing "Serious Sytem Failure" messages in hsbc.com.au

Because this is happening after login to a secure site, I must depend on you to provide further information from your logs.  It is very likely NOT the sites that you have mentioned, but a support site that is being used.  The logs should tell what site that is.  Please put the JSONL log file into a ZIP file and attach it to this thread.  I have attached directions in the screenshots below.

There is a chance that the site will appear using an easier method.  AFTER you receive the error, go to the Browser Guard interface (also shown in screenshot _step_1.png) and look for any complaints that appear there.  If you see any, let me know which site(s) appear.

_step_1.png

_step_2.png

Hello, many thanks for the quick replies and help. I have tried again, and reproduced the problem a couple of times. First time was with ad-blocking only active, second times was with everything turned off, AND the setting to "Hide Duplicate Warnings" turned on (in case there was some hidden interference there). The HSBC banking site ONLY works normally with the BG add-in disabled.

I have added TWO zipped log files, and an extra JPG showing the typical error message/box. This seems to occur within several of the online banking functional areas, when BG is active (even with all sliders off). This then means that there are then NO blocking indicators to report (within the UI), BUT there seems to be some background blocking activity that is causing some "interference" or block to this banking functionality.

SYSTEM_FAILURE_ERROR3_USING_BG.jpg

BG-Logs_v2.3.10_2021-10-15_163421158.jsonl.zip BG-Logs_v2.3.10_2021-10-15_16558711.jsonl.zip

Edited by td47

UPDATE: I have been playing around with this, and doing some more testing, it seems that I CAN make the error happen even without any MWB or Browser Guard being active at all, it just happens a bit less. It DID appear to ONLY be doing it when BG was active at first, but more testing has shown otherwise.

I rang the bank, and they admitted that they ARE aware of some incompatibility issues with Firefox, and similar user complaints. From what I see form my testing, since all my machines have Firefox 93.0 and Malwarebytes, it is ONLY the new ASUS laptop that gives the issue. This IS a very fast laptop, with an 8 thread i7 Intel CPU, and NVME SSD, also sporting the TPM 2.0 security chip, and MIGHT just be responding too fast, and the securiy side of the HSBC banking server cannot handle it. 

I HAVE seen their web-service respond with "Internal Error 500" a few times, ONLY using this new laptop (which seems to be CLEARLY an issue their end):

"Internal Server Error message:
(From https://www.services.online-banking.hsbc.com.au/gpib/group/gpib/cmn/layouts/default.html?idv_cmd=idv.SaaSSecurityCommand)

Internal Server Error - Read
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Reference #3.55492f17.nnnnnnnnnn.c069b34"

If you HAVE found any issues in the log files provided, please let me know one way or the other, and if you have any evidence of an HSBC response issue within that logged web dialogue that I can pass on to them, plase advise accordingly.

Edited by td47
typo
  • Solution

So, from wading through 6000 lines or so from your log, it appears that HSBC is using a 1-2 trackers that we have seen used "occasionally" as an integral part of a website's operation.  Because they are trackers, we are very unlikely to unblock them.  That doesn't mean HSBC (or anyone else using the tracker) realizes that trackers are problematic when it suits their business needs to use them, and if you are one of their customers, you are stuck in the middle.  The best option for you (without asking you to troubleshoot on a one-by-one basis, is to allow trackers just for HSBC.  Here's how:

1. Click the Browser Guard icon (in your browser's address bar).
  2. Click the three vertical dots and select Allow List
  3. In the field Add a URL or IP address, enter: hsbc.com.au
  4. In the Disable protections pulldown, select Ads / Trackers
  5. Click Done.

That should do it.  As far as browser compatibility goes, some vendors impose a certain browser on you whether you like it or not.  That usually means (1) they did all their development in that browser, (2) they are doing something non-standard that the browser supports because they like/need that for their application, or (3) they have a larger connection to the ecosystem that the browser is a part of.  You may have to do it their way, whether you like it or not.  If you receive an error whether or not Browser Guard is enabled, that tells you that issues of that type are due to either their code or browser compatibility.

• Thanks 1

Hello Mr. Hawkins, many thanks for your very useful input. I have added the 2 main HSBC URL items that are used, and see no tracking numbers for HSBC now. Certainly with those added to the allow list,  I now only see the "serious error" message on 2 sub-functions near the end of the account summary page, and NOT at the top of the account page (that was quite disconcerting to see).

It was a very useful exercise, so now I can quickly/easily use that knowledge to overcome issues with OTHER possible problematic sites, as we use this add-in going forward.

There is obviously still a technical browser incompatibility between Firefox and certain HSBC site/security coding, and at least the Desktop seems to be working OK for HSBC (slower system, and has NO TPM chip), so I will test more on that with MWB Browser Guard active.

Basic question: If I remove BG, then add it back in after testing, does it retain the old "allow list", or do I have to add them back in each time?

If you get the "serious error" without Browser Guard installed, all I can offer there is sympathy for a possible browser compatibility issue.  Chrome is more popular than Firefox now, so some coders tend to lean in that direction.

Browser Guard will show you (with a number over the icon) how many blocks have been put in place for the website you are visiting.  Clicking the icon will provide a list of them.  Ones shown in red should NOT be added to an Allow List, as they are being blocked as malware.

The Allow List would need to be re-entered if you were to uninstall and later reinstall Browser Guard.  You should also be aware that reinstalling Browser Guard loads a database that was accurate as of the time that specific version of Browser Guard was released.  Once installed, Browser Guard reaches out to get an updated copy of the database.  That could mean that a fresh addition to the whitelist may not be available for you until after that update has been completed.  It doesn't take long, but it has been a source of irritation for some users who do not understand that process.