RTP Dedection Blocked Website Outbound Hijack

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hi,

On 9.30.21 I started receiving alerts on RTP Dedection Blocked Website Outbound Hijack multiple times (yesterday 10 times) with the same IP address: 193.29.63.133. Sometimes called "s8.now.im" or "s9.now.im" with no file name. Threat scan detects clean. I use Firefox with Guard enabled. Below is the latest log information.

Thank you

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 10/11/21
Protection Event Time: 8:32 AM
Log File: 54fc93aa-2a8f-11ec-8630-ec2e981cd8cc.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.4.7.134
Components Version: 1.0.1464
Update Package Version: 1.0.45762
License: Trial

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, , Blocked, -1, -1, 0.0.0, ,

-Website Data-
Category: Hijack
Domain: s8.now.im
IP Address: 193.29.63.133
Port: 1688
Type: Outbound
File:

Hello   @asalihov     :welcome:

My name is Maurice.  Let me know what name you prefer to go by.  I will guide you.

I need a report set for review.   This is a report only.

Please download Malwarebytes MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced >>> then   Gather Logs

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

• Please attach  mbst-grab-results.zip    to your reply , like displayed here.
  • To send  ( upload)   attachments please click the "ADD Files"  link . Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg

The set of data from the report will provide much needed information.

Please always attach reports as we go along.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

By the way, the real-time web protection of Malwarebytes is keeping this system safe from potential harm. What is being blocked are outbound attempts to reah  s8.now.im
IP Address: 193.29.63.133

Do you know which web browser ( or web browsers) are open / running at the moment of the Block notice ?

Is a web browser in use at that time?

I see you mention Firefox at the top. Does your pc make use of instant messenger-type apps?

Edited by Maurice Naggar
other note added

Hi @Maurice Naggar, 

Thank you Maurice. I've attached the requested .zip below mbst-grab-results.zip

The Malwarebytes notification happens on startup too. I have instant messenger apps but don't run automatically. I use Firefox, occasionally Edge, for browsing. I've noticed when I turn off my VPN the popup triggers.

I hope this information clarifies.

Kind regards,

Adna 

Thank you.  Lets do these next procedures.

Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

[   2   ]

I suggest a new scan for viruses & other malware.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Look on Scan Options & select FULL scan.

Then start the scan. Have lots of patience. It may take several hours.

• Oce you see it has started, take a long long break;  walk away.  Do not pay credence if you see some intermediate early flash messages on screen display.  The only things that count are the End result at the end of the run.

Let me know the result of this.    This is likely to run for many hours   ( depending on number of files on your machine & the speed of hardware.)

The log is named MSERT.log  

the log will be at  

Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

Hi. Thank you. The MS Safety Scanner found no actual virus or trojan or malware.

Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520054-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner

Then be sure to close all web browsers.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520114-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-scan-and-clean

Attach the clean log.

Alright.    

This is a  different special tool to check your pc for viruses, trojans & other malware.

Download Sophos Free Virus Removal Tool  and save it to your desktop.

• If your security alerts to this scan either accept the alert or turn off your security to allow Sophos to run and complete.....
  • Please Do Not use your PC whilst the scan is in progress.... This scan is very thorough so may take several hours...

Double click the icon and select Run

Click Next

Select I accept the terms in this license agreement, then click Next twice

Click Install

Click Finish to launch the program

• Once the virus database has been updated click Start Scanning

If any threats are found click Details, then View log file... (bottom left hand corner)

Attach the results in your reply

• Close the Notepad document, close the Threat Details screen, then click Start cleanup

Click Exit to close the program

If no threats were found please confirm that result....

• The Virus Removal Tool scans the following areas of your computer:
  • Memory, including system memory on 32-bit (x86) versions of Windows
  • The Windows registry
  • All local hard drives, fixed and removable
  • Mapped network drives are not scanned.

Note: If threats are found in the computer memory, the scan stops. This is because further scanning could enable the threat to spread. You will be asked to click Start Cleanup to remove the threats before continuing the scan.

Saved logs are found under this sub-folder: C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Virus Removal Tool\Logs 

Let me know what Sophos reports.

Hi, 

Sophos reports 0 threats. I ran the scan twice since it wasn't updated the first time. I have attached the log for this as well and found that certain files could not be opened SophosVirusRemovalTool.log

2021-10-12 01:54:03.788    Could not open C:\hiberfil.sys
2021-10-12 01:54:03.793    Could not open C:\pagefile.sys
2021-10-12 01:56:06.178    Could not open C:\swapfile.sys
2021-10-12 01:56:06.211    Could not open C:\System Volume Information\{00cbacd4-26a5-11ec-8ee8-ec2e981cd8cc}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
2021-10-12 01:56:06.211    Could not open C:\System Volume Information\{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
2021-10-12 01:56:06.212    Could not open C:\System Volume Information\{c7e89051-28ac-11ec-8ee9-ec2e981cd8cc}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
2021-10-12 01:56:06.212    Could not open C:\System Volume Information\{e500f1fc-2a90-11ec-8ee9-ec2e981cd8cc}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
2021-10-12 01:56:06.212    Could not open C:\System Volume Information\{e500f22a-2a90-11ec-8ee9-ec2e981cd8cc}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
2021-10-12 01:56:06.212    Could not open C:\System Volume Information\{e5010068-2a90-11ec-8ee9-ec2e981cd8cc}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
2021-10-12 01:56:06.212    Could not open C:\System Volume Information\{e5010806-2a90-11ec-8ee9-ec2e981cd8cc}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
2021-10-12 01:56:24.336    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ArmouryCrate.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.339    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\B9ECED6F.ArmouryCrate_qmba6cd70vzyy\ArmouryCrate.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.339    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\B9ECED6F.ASUSPCAssistant.asToastNotifier.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.340    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\B9ECED6F.ASUSPCAssistant.AsusKeyboardHost.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.343    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\B9ECED6F.ASUSPCAssistant_qmba6cd70vzyy\B9ECED6F.ASUSPCAssistant.asToastNotifier.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.343    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\B9ECED6F.ASUSPCAssistant_qmba6cd70vzyy\B9ECED6F.ASUSPCAssistant.AsusKeyboardHost.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.350    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_8wekyb3d8bbwe\python.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.350    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_8wekyb3d8bbwe\python3.7.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.350    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_8wekyb3d8bbwe\python3.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.353    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.354    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\MicrosoftEdge.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.354    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\python.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.355    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\python3.7.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:24.355    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\python3.exe
2021-10-12 01:56:33.893    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Whiteboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\SURFACE-159.50\LOCK
2021-10-12 01:56:33.893    Could not open C:\Users\adna\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Whiteboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\SURFACE-159.50\LOG
2021-10-12 01:59:52.018    Could not open C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
2021-10-12 01:59:52.021    Could not open C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
2021-10-12 02:00:00.828    Could not open C:\Windows\System32\config\BBI
2021-10-12 02:24:41.036    Error level 0

Hello.  That is a good result from Sophos. and by the way, the lines with "Could not open" are normal.  Not unusual.

Alright. We are done with Sophos VRT tool.  Now to uninstall it.

1. Press & hold  the Windows key on keyboard & then tap the R key   to open the Run box-windoww.
2. Type 

appwiz.cpl 

and tap Enter.
The Programs and Features window will appear.   Locate on the list "Sophos Virus Removal".

Do a right-click on it.  Then choose Uninstall.   Let it proceed.

Exit Programs and Features.

[    2     ]

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner.  This will be another check for viruses, other malware, adwares, & potentially unwanted applications.

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"

• Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

• Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

• When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan

Look at & tick ( select ) the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications" and click on Start scan button.

• Have patience. The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.

There is a progress window display. You may step away from machine &. Let it be.

You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program. ( e.g. their standard program). You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

• When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items. If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue Save scan log to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files” ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done. You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Please make sure you attach the log report.

Sincerely,

Maurice

• Solution

That was basically a nice cleanup of temporary files in the <user>\AppData\Local\Temp\  sub-folder. A few javascript files & a couple of EXE files.They are classified by ESET as potentially unsafe application & potentially unwanted applications. Next time you reply, be certain to mention whether or not the Block notices are happening. What follows are in tne nature of helpful steps.

[   1   ]

This Windows 10 system has the Microsoft Defender antivirus as the resident antivirus. Do this next adjustment.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows.    😃.

Close Malwarebytes.

>

[    2    ]

Here below is a custom run intended to do some cleanups.  Please take time to read carefully & apply all directions below.

If you have a question, stop and ask me first.

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe   to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  asalihov  only / for this machine only.

This custom script has some specific things, plus some general aspect to help the system overall.

NOTE-1:  This script will  run a scan using System File Checker to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will rebuild the Winsock.  

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. 

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome,  and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

•  
  • Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads folder

Fixlist.txt

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Edited by Maurice Naggar

That is good to know.  You are welcome.

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.

Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here  https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe

and save the tool on the desktop.

•                                If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then

Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

• This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

Thank you for the report. This report did not find any out of date application. That is good. But it tends to show that the Microsoft Defender antivirus is off. I would suggest that you see to it that it is turned ON.

1. Select the Windows Start menu.
  2. In the search bar, type Windows Security. Select the matching result.
  3. Select Virus & threat protection.
  4. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
  5. Flip each switch under Real-time protection and Cloud-delivered protection to turn them on. You need those to be ON.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you