update to MB 4.4.7.134 left wrong version in registry so SUMo flagged it

Go to solution Solved by tetonbob,

Updating to MB 4.4.7.134 over MB 4.4.6.132 left the wrong version number in the registry which caused SUMo to flag it as out of date.  SUMo is the program I use for flagging software that needs updates.

Malwarebytes itself says I have 4.4.7.134 installed.

The registry shows the following for 

image.png.ecdd9bc63d5f183c6ae054c4673d6d2a.png

image.thumb.png.64ed8fe29b41550f6523bcede0af9971.png

Bill

• Like 1

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Yes, I had already been in contact with Kyle at SUMo, but was just letting Malwarebytes know of the problem with the 4.4.7.134 update.

I had actually seen a similar posting on the SUMo forum.

Out of curiosity, what is Wilders?

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

I'm having the same problem.  According to the Malwarebytes interface I have MB Premium v4.4.7.134-1.0.1464, but according to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features (and SUMo v5.14.1) I'm still on v4.4.6.132 (component package unknown).

1484672900_MBv4_4_7AboutVersionInformationInstalled26Sep2021.png.7599d795a99e33be6d03d5527092f97f.png

18205634_Win10Prov21H1ControlPanelStillonMBv4_4_6_13226Sep2021.png.cd75e9c70ad68fb228497d524fa5c2c9.png

304200513_SUMo5_14_1StillOnMBv4_6_6_13226Sep2021.png.10ef393eb474ca0d8d511f31d40e78e9.png

I updated Malwarebytes manually on 25-Sep-2021 at Settings | General | Application Updates | Check for Updates.  The install wizard said the update ran to completion but it never prompted me to restart Malwarebytes to finish the installation as it has done for the past 3 or 4 version updates, which I thought was odd.

The download link for the v4.x offline installer at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline is currently offering a v4.4.6 installer now bundled with the new v1.0.1464 component package (i.e., mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.6.231-1.0.1464-1.0.45264.exe).  Has Malwarebytes pulled the v4.4.7.134 installer mentioned in Erix's 23-Sep-2021 release notes <here> and re-bundled the v1.0.1464 component package with the old v4.4.6.231 engine?

mbst-grab-results.zip
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H1 build 19043.1237 * Firefox v92.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2108.7 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.7.134-1.0.1464
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri

• Staff

Greetings. Thanks for your reports. We've reproduced and filed a defect for this issue. Note that this is not a functional bug, only a display bug.

It has to do with the different delivery method of the latest version 4.4.7.134-1.0.1464. An update with an MBSetup installer is not similarly affected.

Regarding the naming convention of the full installer mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.6.231-1.0.1464-1.0.45264.exe
What this notates is the installer_version-component_package_version-update_package_version, aka installer-CU-DU

Edited by tetonbob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tetonbob said:

... An update with an MBSetup installer is not similarly affected.

Regarding the naming convention of the full installer mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.6.231-1.0.1464-1.0.45264.exe
What this notates is the installer_version-component_package_version-update_package_version, aka installer-CU-DU

Hi tetonbob:

Thanks for the feedback.

Just an FYI to other users affected by this problem that I performed an over-the-top update with the full offline installer mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.6.231-1.0.1464-1.0.45264.exe downloaded from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline (i.e., I chose "Quit Malwarebytes" from the system tray icon and ran the downloaded installer, no uninstall of previous version required) and this appears to have fixed the problem.

If the naming convention for the offline installer made more sense (i.e., using the name mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.7.xxx-1.0.1464-....exe for an installer that installs a v4.4.7.134 main product / scan engine instead of the current mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.6.xxx-1.0.1464....exe) I would have tried this workaround yesterday.

2044836714_Win10Prov21H1ControlPanelMBv4_4_7_134AfterOTTUpdate27Sep2021.png.c0d695d08e9decba8ad6dcee59083700.png

1066442121_SUMo5_14_1MBv4_6_7_134AFterOTTUpdate27Sep2021.png.60af5c68eda241284ea9683d2313fb3f.png

-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H1 build 19043.1237 * Firefox v92.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2108.7 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.7.134-1.0.1464 * SUMo Free Portable v5.14.1.508
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri
Clarification that over-the-top installation did not require an uninstall

Greetings. Thanks for your reports. We've reproduced and filed a defect for this issue. Note that this is not a functional bug, only a display bug.

It has to do with the different delivery method of the latest version 4.4.7.134-1.0.1464. An update with an MBSetup installer is not similarly affected.

So the offline installer named mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.6.231-1.0.1464-1.0.45264.exe will actually install 4.4.7.134-1.0.1464?

If so, this is really confusing.  I think you should say on the offline installer website what version will be installed.  No one cares what version of the installer it is.  They only care what version of MB is going to be installed.  I didn't download and install this because I thought it would install the last MB version which was 4.4.6.  I don't know if others have also been confused by this.

So I used the support tool to uninstall and re-install version 4.4.7 which of course wiped out all my settings which I had to go in and redo which is a real pain.

Blil

@tetonbob,

I am not a programmer.  I do not understand what you are saying.  

When I do an update from within MB does it use the latest released stub (Online) MBSetup?  Version 4.4.6.231 of the stub installs version 4.4.7?

The full (Offline) installer is named the same as the online installer so it also installs 4.4.7?

i still think this could be made a lot less confusing for us non-programmer non-Malwarebytes employees.  At the very least you could show the MBSetup version AND the MB version that will be installed.

Thanks.
Bill

• Staff
15 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

When I do an update from within MB does it use the latest released stub (Online) MBSetup? 

It depends on the method used to update. We no longer will always use MBSetup to apply an update to the service. An update to the service is typically what will change the first 4 sets of numbers in the product version (4.x.x.x) on the About tab, and those 3 digits (4.x.x) listed on the title bar of the product. One of our efforts has been to provide an update method with less friction.
This latest version was one such update.

But yes, if an Installer Update is the method used, then MB will use that latest released stub.

Version 4.4.6.231 of the stub installs version 4.4.7?

The stub installer will always download and install whatever is latest in our release channel. Unless the product settings have Beta enabled. Then, the stub will pull down what is in Beta. Sometimes those channels both have the same product version. Today, those are both 4.4.7.134-1.0.1464

So really, all you need to do is grab the latest installer from our website if you want an installer.

I understand this can be unclear. As I've said, I've brought the concerns in this topic to the team.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Edited by tetonbob

• Staff
23 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I had thought that there was a delay between the new version being provided via "check for updates" and the offline installer being brought up to date with that same release.

You're welcome, Bill. Just to note that there will be a delay between a release being shipped and announced on the forum, and the full installer link being updated. Meaning they are not released simultaneously. That installer needs to be built with release bits, and then some testing performed, before we update the link with the new build.

Edited by tetonbob

I thought that was the case.  So, the offline installer won't always install the latest update available via "check for updates".  It first has to be updated and tested.

Hence my confusion.  How do I tell if the offline installer link on the website has been updated yet so I know it will install the most recent version of MB?

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

This is too much. I still don't know if I have an issue. I don't think so from what I can figure out. I just have to accept the fact that the numbers don't match for whatever reason. I don't have time to check all these numbers. I buy the product and simply expect it to be current so I can get on with my life with some degree of confidence. Just your typical consumer I guess.

• Staff

Two issues are being discussed in this topic. One is a bug we're going to fix in our next release. That of the new update process not also updating the Uninstall Key values.

The other issue being discussed is some concern and confusion about the naming convention of our installers, particularly the full (Offline) installer.

@share3141 if you are on 4.4.7.134-1.0.1464 then you have the latest version.

1 hour ago, BillH99999 said:

How do I tell if the offline installer link on the website has been updated yet so I know it will install the most recent version of MB?

As it stands now, the best way to know would be to correlate the "CU" octet I mentioned in my earlier post, with a forum announcement post.

For example, the installer has this in it's name
full installer mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.6.231-1.0.1464-1.0.45264.exe

Erix posted this when we released (bold is mine)
version 4.4.7.134 component package 1.0.1464 is available now.

Here:

As it stands now, the best way to know would be to correlate the "CU" octet I mentioned in my earlier post, with a forum announcement post.

For example, the installer has this in it's name
full installer mb4-setup-consumer-4.4.6.231-1.0.1464-1.0.45264.exe

Erix posted this when we released (bold is mine)
version 4.4.7.134 component package 1.0.1464 is available now.

Bob,

OK... thanks for the explanation.  I read through this the first time you posted it, but I guess I missed what you were saying.  This is very clear.

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1