Browser Guard problem with Daily Mail newspaper (MailOnline) website

hake

I cannot set Browser Guard to consistently block ads/trackers and PUPs on https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/.  Those two controls always revert to unset for the MailOnline website when Firefox is closed and restarted.  They cannot maintain state.

Malware and scams are shown as set to be blocked.  My overall default settings in Browser guard are to block ads/trackers, malware, scams and PUPs.

This issue does not seem to occur with Browser Guard for Chrome browsers.

I am using Firefox ESR 78.0.14 (64bit).

The protection settings controls shown in the screenshot might be unreliable? It looks like Ads/Trackers might be being blocked.

The MailOnline website is a bit of a mess.  It provides a poor user experience, the pages loading in a haphazard way and comments submitted to topics often disappearing without trace.

screenshot.thumb.jpg.8b40ae0947b1beb5d8082d5c4703d302.jpg

Edited by hake
  • hake changed the title to Browser Guard problem with Daily Mail newspaper (MailOnline) website

I had to look up version numbers to get my bearings.  I think you swapped a few number sets when you specified your version number.  78.14.0ESR is current, while 78.0.14ESR (if it exists) is likely rather mossy by now.  I tested this in Chrome (I know, I know) and Firefox 92.0.1 (64-bit).  Outside of a different number of ads being blocked upon a page load, I had no problems with BG status change upon a browser shutdown/restart.  Because you are using a different FF build, I am reaching out to see if perhaps our QA person can confirm or deny what you are saying.  Hopefully they have a VM that can be used for testing of this.  Have you uninstalled/reinstalled Browser Guard to see if your install is flaky?  Just asking...

You were right about my mistake with Firefox ESR versions numbers.  I keep all browsers that I use bang up to date.  This behavour of Browser Guard for Firefox is exactly repeated on all five copies of Firefox which I have on different Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 systems and the MailOnline website causes the same behaviour on all five FF installations.

Edited by hake
On 9/25/2021 at 5:14 AM, hake said:

I cannot set Browser Guard to consistently block ads/trackers and PUPs on https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/.  Those two controls always revert to unset for the MailOnline website when Firefox is closed and restarted

check to see if you have added "dailymail.co.uk" to MBG's "allow list"?

when you say that all of your browsers are affected the same way, maybe that is because they are all "sync-ed" and so they all have the same settings? that also could explain why the settings revert.