Jump to content

Microsoft Security Flagged


Phxflyer

Recommended Posts

I entered the Microsoft store to check some things on my account. I was already signed in. When I tried to open the Security block to update, Malwarebytes Brower Guard blocked it as a malicious site. It did the same when I tried to update my password. It also blocked when I clicked on Manage Devices.

I am using Edge as my Browser. I can only assume these were false positives, but for this to happen in the Microsoft store?????????

Edited by Phxflyer
Link to post
  • Staff

You will need to send the Browser Guard log so I can see exactly what was blocked and why.  The JSONL that will be placed in your Downloads directory must be put into a ZIP file before you will be allowed to send it.

_step_1.png

_step_2.png

Edited by gonzo
download details
  • Like 1
Link to post

When I opened the Microsoft store today and tried to open those pages, nothing was blocked by the Browser Guard. 

Unless the logs from yesterday were saved when the problem occurred then I guess we can mark this solved for the time being.

I am enclosing the JSNOL zip file that was generated today. Again, not sure that what happened yesterday are there.

BG-Logs_v2.3.9_2021-09-22_16924918.jsonl.zip

Link to post
  • Staff

For whatever reason, that file downloads as a zero-byte file.  Did you create a ZIP file from the JSON file, or try renaming it?  Just trying to make sense of it.

Link to post
  • Staff

File came up as zero bytes again, so we're stuck there.  We did have a false positive on an icon file associated with Microsoft.  Whether it was affecting you is unknown.  In most cases, Browser Guard will show you a screen telling you what was blocked and why.  If you run into that issue again, please make a screenshot and send it to us.

Link to post
  • Staff

Thanks to @bjm for showing me he had a file when I didn't.  Turns out my Windows Explorer was doing anything but, then my computer hung when I tried to restart it.  My problems...not yours!

I looked the file over in my text editor, found nothing, and decided to dump it into Excel.  I found no blocks except for ads and trackers.  No malware at all.  I found a single reference to the "problem file" which I mentioned, but Browser Guard did not block it.  That was on September 22 at 4:03pm MST, which is later than your initial reports.  This log covers the time period Sept. 19 (7:55am) until Sept.22  (4:09pm).

I don't have any good guesses here.  I will ask the developer to see if a second set of eyes finds anything I missed.

By the way, the second file you uploaded is 75% the size of the first one.  The first one still comes up as zero bytes for me now.

Link to post

OK. Thanks again for looking this over for me. Again, I'm not having any problems with any blocking on the Microsoft Store at this time so whatever happened must have been a one day glitch. If it occurs again I know what file I need to send and how.  Unless you find something, I'll consider this closed.

Link to post
  • gonzo locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.