Can no longer download attachments from AOL messages

I just installed Malwarebytes Premium 4.0 on my iMac and I can no longer download attachments from AOL messages.  At first I got a warning box saying the website wasn't safe.  Now I just click on the attachment and nothing happens.

If I forward the message to a Gmail account, I have no trouble downloading the attachment. 

I tried looking on the Support forums for how to create exceptions, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access the "Detection History card" that is referenced there.  When I open Malwarebytes from the icon in my menu bar, the only options I have available do NOT include any way to create exceptions. 

I'm going to disable the extra protections in Malwarebytes to see if that helps, but this is NOT a long-term solution.  I know using AOL is very old school, but I've had the account for 25 years and I'm not going to the trouble of transferring hundreds of contacts and accounts to another e-mail.

Help!!

Mac Detection History options.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed image with license in it

There is no exclusion of websites because at the moment Malwarebytes on macOS does not offer protection for web browsing, unless you have installed the free Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension available for Firefox, Chromium Based Browser and Safari

Why you're having problems with AOL, however, only @treed or another staff member can tell you.

Hello @LinneaM2 and :welcome:

With the current release version of Malwarebytes for Mac being 4.13.2.4408, are the unknown hardware/macOS details of that iMac such that you believe the unsupported (End of Life 18-May-2020) v4.0 Legacy version must be used?

Just prior to sending this post, I successfully received (via MUA & browser) test emails with an AOL.com destination w/attachment. I run a MacBook Pro 11,3 running macOS Big Sur 11.6 (20G165) with Malwarebytes for Mac Premium v4.13.2.4408

Perhaps you could deactivate/uninstall the v4.0 legacy and download/install v4.13.2.4408 followed by activation to Premium. If the iMac is running Mac OSX 10.10.x (Yosemite) or better, the referenced tool below can assist. (Recommended)

Additionally, when contacting AOL, is an email client/Mail User Agent (MUA) app such as Mozilla's Thunderbird used or do you use a browser app such as Safari, Microsoft's Chrome or Mozilla's Firefox etc.

It will be quite helpful to Malwarebytes staffers to know that iMac's Model Identifier as well as the macOS version number.

Thank you.

Reference: Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes for Mac

Edited by 1PW

• Staff

Just chiming in here to say that Malwarebytes for Mac 4.x is not the issue here. It does not currently include any web blocking, as MAXBAR1 mentioned.

I can't say without more information what the source of the warning message might be. Do you have other security software on your computer? Is the message actually coming from AOL itself?

Thank you all for chiming in.  I believe it's the Malwarebytes application that's causing the problem as it's the only program I added or changed just before the problem occurred.  I deactivated the license and disabled Full Disk Access for Malwarebytes and I can magically download files from AOL again. 

I am running Big Sur 11.5 on my 2019 21.5" iMac with a 3GHz Intel Core I5 chip.   I tried 6 times yesterday to update to 11.6, but without luck and will try again today. 

I had the same problem downloading attachments from AOL using both the Safari and Firefox browsers, which are both up-to-date.

It's possible that because I was running a free version of Malwarebytes on the computer and activated the license from that window, that there was some difficulty introduced because of the older free version.  I will try downloading the most up-to-date version of the DMG file from the company website and installing that after I finish updating the OS to 11.6.