Internet (lan) not working after quarantine of files listed in malware scan

Yes, I am still with you. I can't do things this fast. I need at least a week for every step. I can't get all my work done on my own, and Saturday's there is usually some one who is able to do this thing for me. So tomorrow we can carry out the instructions written last Saturday. I have to say though that I am horribly frustrated with the program malwarebytes. We spend hours and hours trying to get this issue fixed now. I really appreciate that Malwarebytes continues to help us solve this problem, and the effort Malwarebytes puts in that.  The program Malwarebytes though, I will never ever run it again on any of my computers,  because of the risk that Malwarebytes damages one of my computers the way it did.  

Hello.  These are additional notes, beyond those I had posted before on OCT 2nd on this link

Again, I regret the LAN issue you have encountered.  Though I have to mention that It is not a thing caused by anything from the Malwarebytes app.

NOTE about what Malwarebytes had found & Quarantined on Septembr 3 were several items tagged as HackTool.KMS & RiskWare.AutoKMS
Mainly in sub-folder C:\ProgramData\KMSAutoS
It seems to me these were related to the weird / rogue app you mentioned way at the start "TAP provider v9 for private tunnel network".

>

These here are some additional things to look at.

I'd like for you to take one-time actions to power off your PC and any powered printers attached & then power off your hardware router.
Start by Shutting down Windows, and powering off your PC.  Then power Off the hardware router. Also, turn off the Hub or Switch for your 'network' ( if any).
Then wait for one minute.
Then power up in reverse order.  First get the router powered up.  Then your Hub or switch for the Network. Wait for a minute.
Then power up PC  and then get Windows started.
>

Go to Start menu > Settings, then select Network and Internet
In the left navigation pane, select Status to make sure you're viewing the network status window.
Then select "View your network properties".   Review those settings.
Then go back & select "Network and Sharing Center".
Review the settings there.

And,
Related to Network and Sharing center, see Guide to Windows 10 Network and Sharing Center
https://www.webnots.com/guide-to-windows-10-network-and-sharing-center/

Edited by Maurice Naggar
added notes

Hereby a more detailed discription of the network. The lan consists out of a tp-link switch, a fritzbox modem and there are several laptops, a desktop and a Nas connected to the cable network. There is a wireless network as well. This pocket pc normally connects to the wired network by a usb interface. It can still connect to the wireless network, but no longer to the wired network. Another pocket pc still can connect using the same method.  

You report that another pocket-pc does work with the LAN.  I would urge that you look at that unit's LAN configuration properties & its IP choices ( settings).  Write them down.  And compare that to the other unit that is having issue.

That is to say, Look at the settings on the working unit  and set the other one to the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, due to being ill last Saturday I am working on the problem today. (I am helping Johanna working out this problem). I have checked the settings on the other device, they seem to be the same, the only differences I could find were:  The driver on the not working device was much newer, 2019 instead of 2006. And the name of the controller is slightly different. The working one has Realtek USB Gbe family controller, the not working one has a Realtek USB FE family controller. All the other settings seem to be set the same way. The FE version has less advanced properties, but the ones that are the same on both devices are set in the same way. So this didn't help me much, but maybe it helps you figuring it out. 

When you say shutting down the pc, switch and router, do you also mean shutting down any other PC's and devices on the network? Also disconnect them? I did shut down the pocket PC, the router and the switch, but there is also another PC connected to the router by cable and a laptop by wifi. And there is a NAS in the network too. I can disconnect them all, but that takes some time and meanwhile other people in the house might not be able to continue their work. So we would have to pick a good time for that, if at all necessary?  

2 hours ago, Johanna said:

The working one has Realtek USB Gbe family controller, the not working one has a Realtek USB FE family controller.

Double check again the model of the network card on the computer and double check with Realtek support to see that it has the proper driver  ( software driver)  and properly installed  and properly set with the proper IP addresses.  I encourage you to get help from the Support of the hardware maker.

Additional tip:
As I have mentioned before, it is incumbent on you to verify the manufacturer-name and model of the network card on this computer.
To that end, you will find this next article to be helpful.
"How do I find what network card and network I'm using"  https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000500.htm

The first goal is to verify the brand, the model of the network adapter, and its description.
The next goal is to see and verify that it has the latest software driver from its manufacturer.

As to some other troubleshooting tips, also see "Basic network troubleshooting"
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000445.htm

Hi, I checked again following the steps on the computerhope website.

There are multiple entries under System information\Components\Network\adapter

The first is Microsoft Kernel debug network adapter (type n/a, servicename kdnic, dhcp enabled) all other thing n/a (including no MAC address, that seems odd to me)
The second one is Realtek USB FE family controller. (this is the one I mentioned before) the brand (Realtek), model (USB FE family controller) dhcp enabled, again no MAC address) 

The third one is wireless, Intel(R) Dual band wireless AC 3165. This one works and all the other items have values, including IP address and mac address

The next entries seem to be wan miniport entries with different additions (SSTP, IKEv2, PPTP, L2TP, PPPOE, IP, Network Monitor, IPv6. Also lots of n/a here, but the las three have MAC addresses.

Then there is Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter, the adapter type says Ethernet 802.3. Lots of n/a's here, but again this one does show a MAC address. 

The next one is Realtek USB GbE family Controller. So this device apparently also has this controller installed. But again lots of n/a an no MAC address.

The last one is again WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter. the adapter type says Ethernet 802.3. Lots of n/a's here, but again this one does show a MAC address. 

I have connected and disconnected the usb cable (this is, like I said, the way the pocket-pc connects to the internet by cable) The list doesn't change by that. The pocket pc sees the network, says identifying (no internet) and it stays that way.

We updated the Realtek USB FE family controller driver before. I now downloaded the USB GbE version and intalled it. Still no effect. I used the troubleshooter again and it still says (after resetting the adapter and checking again for problems: "the Ethernet doesn't have the valid IP configuration". I don't know how and where to find and fix that configuration. The trouble shooter doesn't help any further, nor does re-installing the drivers seem to change that IP configuration. 

I don't know if and which other driver you would like me to check and update? Could you tell me how I could adapt of reset the IP configuration?

Hello.  Good morning.

My entire point was to be looking at the properties ( IP proerties) on the machine that is working   and to then insure that the same properties ( IP address etc)  are on the computer that is having the issue.

You'd mentioned you had a few other machines on the local LAN.  What I suggest is that you be looking on one of those working machines  ( maybe by having them side by side).

Insure the network addressses ( IP address )  of the working unit  is  then on the problem-computer.   on the Realtek USB.

Ah, It wasn't clear to me I would have to check the working pocket pc. 

I found some differences in the list but mainly the order in which the entries are made. Until I came to the realtek USB GbE family controllers...

The working one has much more Value behind the items in the entrie. 

Name (the same) Realtek USB GbE Family Controller
Adapter Type  (different) working: Ethernet 802.3 not working: Not Available
product Type (the same) Realtek USB Gbe Family Controller
Installed YES
PNP Device ID (different) working: USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8153\00E04C6806AA not working: n/a
last reset (different dates)
index (different 13 - 12)
service name (the same) rtux64w10
IP Address (different) working: 192.168.178.70, fe80::c991:626d:873c:d52e, 2001:985:af03:1:441:1b34:a297:db3e, 2001:985:af03:1:c991:626d:873c:d52e, not working n/a
IP Subnet (different) working: 255.255.255.0, 64, 128, 64 not working n/a
Default IP Gateway: (different) working: 192.168.178.1, fe80:cece:1eff:fecd:8782, not working: n/a
DHCP Enabled (the same) Yes
DHCP Server (different) working: 192.168.178.1, not working n/a
DHCP Lease Expires: (different) working: 2-11-2021 12:17, not working: n/a
DHCP Lease Obtained (different) working: 23-10-2021 13:17, not working: n/a
MAC Address (different) working: 00:E0:4C:68:06:AA, not working: n/a
Driver (different) working: C:\\Windows\system32\drivers\RTUX64W10.SYS, not working: no Item named Driver.

So I guess here might be the problem. When I connect the not working pocket pc, he uses the FE controller automatically, when I connect the working one, that one uses the GbE controller. I have tried to change that, but only a few steps deeper in the computer allows me to uninstall the device. Which I did, including removing the installed driver, hoping the device would start using the GbE controller instead. However, when I attempt this the uninstall window stay displaying a waiting pattern and doesn't respond at all. When I disconnect the pocket pc from the cable, the uninstall program disappears and nothing seems to have changed when I reconnect it. 
So now on trying to change the IP settings. Do I need to change DHCP Enabled to NO? to set an IP address? I would need help on finding the location where I could change that and where I could choose a static IP address, I guess that is what you mean I should do? Is that the case and could you direct me to where I could change that?

In Addition, I tried downloading a diagnostics tool from realtek and run some tests, but that didn't give me any more information or options. This diagnostics tool gets stuck when it trying to test the MAC loop or something like that. 

Hi Maurice, 

I can't find where to modify the values. It can not be done in the place I collected the data. I looked at this site for help, but could only find how I could change the DHCP server to manual and when I try that, I have to turn IPv4 or IPv6 on, but there from the five things to edit, I only know the IP address and IP subnet from the working one. All the other data I don't know and it will not just take those two and leave the rest blank. Could you direct me to where I can modify the values, like you said?

NOTE.  Your systems need bith IPv4 & IPv6      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings-bd0a07af-15f5-cd6a-363f-ca2b6f391ace#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

I have been trying to encourage you yo look at the settings of a working computer & use the same options on this one.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I hope you are sticking around today.   I hope we are not getting lost, because there are a few different places to look on this machine & another one ( for comparison).

This is one area to double-check:

Regarding the network adapter & its IP properties settings.
You can use the steps to Enable Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)  &  Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4 )
You want to be sure that both are enabled.
See the Option TWO in this article
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/90033-enable-disable-ipv6-windows.html

Another thing to also re-check is the choice for DHCPNameserver.  Towards that goal, this part is just a report.  It will not make any changes.  It will not needf a reboot.

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe   to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Johanna  only / for this machine only.

First Delete the old file named Fixlist.txt  at the folder C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads

This custom script has some specific things, plus some general aspect to help the system overall.

• Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads folder

Fixlist.txt

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

You will see a green progress bar start. 
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt report

hereby the fixlog file. I think we tried something like this before.

The working device used the automatic, DHCP setting, so to edit those ipv4 and ipv6 settings, I would need to set the device differently than the working one, so following your advice to make those setting the same, I won't change them. Also I can't read what the ipv4 and ipv6 settings while the device is on automatic.

So maybe the not working device doesn't receive or read the dhcp given IP adresses?

Fixlog.txt

Hello.  I hope your weekend is going well.  Please stick with me on this thru this weekend.

I apologize that my script came up short.  I would like you to delete the prior-saved file named Fixlist.txt

Then save this one here

Fixlist.txt

and then do  a new run with it. 

• Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads folder

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
      to run the tool.

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

You will see a green progress bar start. 
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt report

>

Now to your last reply-message: You noted 

The working device used the automatic, DHCP setting,

We want this computer to have the same LAN settings  and DNS servernames  ( etc) as the working computer.

Could you please insure for that ?

These things I am suggesting here should not take much time and effort.

Thank you.  Sincerely.

34 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Please stick with me on this thru this weekend.

Do you mean you want us to follow up on your suggestion this weekend? That doesn't work for me. The caregiver who handles the problem with my gpd pocket works once a week on Saturday and he went home some hours ago. 

The "Fixlist" script is just a inquiry script to gather some information.  It will not make any changes of any sort.  You may as well cancel that suggestion.  I plan on bowing out of this case.  I am recusing myself from this case.  The single once a Saturday message is not the a good way for me.

I have made several suggestions here and you have them already.  I wish you well.

I had presumed all along that you were familiar with how your local LAN was setup and configured.

• Root Admin

Hello @Johanna

Making one post on a Saturday only is going to make it nearly impossible to assist you further.

I would suggest that you work with the person that helps you and have them either fix the issue or if they're unable to then to see if they can take the computer to a local repair shop or offer other solutions that may allow daily responses.

At a rate of one or two replies a week this will consume months of work on our end which is not really something we can really support.

Thank you

Hi Maurice and Admin, 

Thank you for your responses. I would like to clear up a misunderstanding. I am helping Johanna with this problem as a caregiver (not as a IT-professional), because she has a disability which makes it impossible for her to work on this problem herself during the week. I have some knowledge of computers, but apparently not enough to understand your instructions well enough and I noticed that my questions on where to change the IP configuration didn't seem to come through and/or didn't receive answers that could help me improve the understanding of your instructions. We will try to find someone else to help Johanna with this problem, but as she does use the pocket-pc daily, it might take a few weeks to get this person in to help us further.