Internet (lan) not working after quarantine of files listed in malware scan

When scanning my mini laptop for malware Malware bytes suggested to quarantine certain files. After I did so, the computer wasn't able to connect to the internet by cable. (Lan). A new scan didn't show any more malware that could be the cause of this problem. Could you help me with this problem please?

FYI the reason for using malware bytes in the first place was, because of a install pop up of a program I didn't download. The name of that program was TAP provider v9 for private tunnel netwo..., van OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. I clicked it away and downloaded malware bytes right away. Malware bytes detected 27 items and quarantined them, most of them in a folder KMSAutoS under ProgramData

Hello   :welcome:

By any chance & if necessary, Do you have access to another machine to do downloads & then to transfer by means of a USB-flash-thumb drive ?

Let me know.

First suggestion follows.

Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520054-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner

Then be sure to close all web browsers.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520114-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-scan-and-clean

Attach the clean log.

Hello.  The main goal was to actually do one run of Adwcleaner.  By the way, I do not see any attachment on last reply.  But in any event, you report there were nothing tagged.

Do one Windows Restart.  Then once it settles back down, tell me, How is situation as far internet connection ?

Is the pc connected directly via cable cord to the router ?

or is it using a Wifi connection ?

Thanks for the report above.

If at all possible, I would like a special report collection.    It does not make any changes.

Please follow the tips carefully.

Please download MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced > >>  then    Gather Logs

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

• Please attach  mbst-grab-results.zip    to your reply

Suggest you see "How to Cleanup and Reset Network Adapters in Windows 10"

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/47937-reset-network-adapters-windows-10-a.html

You may possibly consider looking at this Youtube how-to video about network help

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4PmPUKYgp4

And this next link to Microsoft for Network troubleshooting

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-network-connection-issues-in-windows-166a28c4-14c1-bdb1-473c-09c1571455d8

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Thanks for the report zip from the support tool.  The only items I see in Quarantine are related to C:\PROGRAMDATA\KMSAutoS  whose content is classified as HackTool.KMS.

Cant tell what brand/model of computer hardware this is.  Nor its network driver hardware.

Howeer, the report from Farbar FRST report shows, that Windows is logging these network-hardware "errors".

System errors:
=============
Error: (09/07/2021 09:32:53 AM) (Source: Netwtw04) (EventID: 5010) (User: )
Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.
5010 - Driver DBG_ASSERT - instead of BSOD

Error: (09/04/2021 03:15:16 PM) (Source: Netwtw04) (EventID: 5010) (User: )
Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

Error: (09/04/2021 03:15:15 PM) (Source: Netwtw04) (EventID: 5010) (User: )

There is one thread on Microsoft Answers forum you should check out.  Apply the tips listed by Kevin Bart  https://bit.ly/3kYYsG9

When running Kevin Bart first solution. The troubleshouter gave me the following feedback, "ethernet 5 doesn't have the right IP configuration" and "Troubleshooter wasn't able to solve all issues". Seems like a reset of the ethernet adapter failed. 

After doing the second row of command prompt actions the a unidentified network was seen, when connected to the lan, connecting message at first, but no luck, still unidentified network and no internet connection.

Next I reinstalled the driver manually. After trying to update it, and windows saying the best one was already installed I made a system restore point and de-installed all drivers connected to the network adapter. After that I rebooted and reconnected the lan-device. My pocket PC has a usb adapter to connect to the lan. Still the same result.

My device this time found a windows update which I installed, but after the reboot, still the same result. Problem is still there. 

Regret to read this bottom line news.  I meant to inquire before - - - you have made at least two references to "my pocket pc".   What is that exactly ?  What make / model / and year is that ?  Is that the old time small device from way way back ?

[   B   ]

Do one new Scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

After completion, attach a copy of the scan log.

locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Part 2.  I am planning on generating a custom fix script.  I need to first ask a few questions & ask for some confirmations.

I believe the download folder here is C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads

Is that right ?

Can you look on that folder & tell me:  Is there a file there named FRSTENGLISH.exe  ?   Is there a file there named FRST64.exe  ?

Thank you.

I can already answer the following things (the rest needs to wait):

Yes, your location of the download folder is correct.

I have a file named FRSTENGLISH.exe, but not a file named FRST64.exe

The computer I have is this one: https://gpd.hk/gpdpocket2

Its not old, I have it since it's release in -I think= dec 2018.

I believe the manufacturer is  Shenzhen GPD Technology Co

Good morning.  I hope your weekend is going well.

I appreciate that you are super-busy.  A lot of us are likewise in similar way.

The Malwarebytes scan suggested before would take just perhaps 10 minutes, tops.  Like listed here.

This next part ( after finishing Malwarebytes scan)  may take something like around 50 minutes on the high-side & can be started near of end period when you are not using the pc.  You can start it and let it run over-night.

Keeping in mind that the download folder is at  C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads   + that FRSTENGLISH.exe  is located in same folder there.

Here below is a custom run intended to do some cleanups.  Please take time to read carefully & apply all directions below.

If you have a question, stop and ask me first.

[    1    ]

As a next basic step, Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

[    2    ]

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe   to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Johanna  only / for this machine only.

This custom script has some specific things, plus some general aspect to help the system overall.

NOTE-1:  This script will  run a scan using System File Checker to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will rebuild the Winsock.  It will run the Windows DISM tool to check the system. 

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. 

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome,  and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

• Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads folder

Fixlist.txt

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the C:\Users\lennie\Dropbox\My PC (gpd-pocket)\Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

This next section is about the network adapter hardware.

Study this article & apply the tips on "How to check your LAN settings in Windows"
https://ccm.net/faq/43529-how-to-check-your-lan-settings-on-windows

This here is another aspect about network connectivity.
Identify the make / model of the Network adapter hardware
and then insure it has the latest driver from the adpater's manufacturer support.

I think your adapter is Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
If that is correct, see the top line at this link at Intel
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10.html

Edited by Maurice Naggar
corrected link issue

And I have a check. My computer doesn't have a LAN port, I use a cable with a converter in a USB port. Is that in your script? I didn't realize before that it might be import to check if you know that. You seem to know so much about my computer and you know the exact model of my computer, so I see you as some one with a super amount of knowledge, that I didn't realize it might still be important to check if you know. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried the lan connection again, but still no connection is made. I found the name of the network adapter and it seems to match the one you mentioned. both links redirect me to this forumpage, but when I type them into the browser I found the pages. The second link leads me to download a bluetooth driver, this seems to me not the right thing and I don't see a list of which I need to pick the top one. Could you check your message? Is there anything else, other then a complete reboot, I can try?

Sorry for your troubles. I do need fresh details from you about the local LAN.

Describe it for me. Is it a wired LAN ? or wireless?

Do you use a hardware router or switch ?

What makes up the LAN: does it have a server ? printer or other hardware ?

What about other devices or computers at your home: are they able to get on this LAN ?

>

Beyond that, I am re-reading your first post where you had mentioned

The name of that program was TAP provider v9 for private tunnel netwo..., van OpenVPN Technologies, Inc

>

As to a complete Reboot, that always helps. What you may try is Shuttingdown your computer ( a full Windows Shurdown) and power off.

Then shutdown / power off the Lan.

Then power up and start the Lan.

Then power up and restart your machine.

>
I do apologize for the unfortunate & unforseen issue of bad / missing links in earlier post about Lan settings.  This one should be fine.
This next section is about the network adapter hardware.

Study this article & apply the tips on "How to check your LAN settings in Windows"
https://ccm.net/faq/43529-how-to-check-your-lan-settings-on-windows
This here is another aspect about network connectivity.
Identify the make / model of the Network adapter hardware
and then insure it has the latest driver from the adpater's manufacturer support.

I think your adapter is Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
If that is correct, see the top line at this link at Intel
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10.html