MS Word 2019 Keeps Freezing & Crashing When Trying to Open a Document

Torvald

For about the past two weeks, the copy of MS Word 2019 on my Windows 10 home computer has been acting up.  Whenever I try to open a Word document (whether a blank document or a saved document), after a couple of seconds Word will usually freeze and then close.

I've tired all sorts of possible fixes, including repairing Word, uninstalling and reinstalling it, etc., and even asking Microsoft for help, but nothing has seemed to work so far.

When searching the Internet for a possible solution, I saw several posts from the past where people thought Malwarebytes premium might be causing the problem, so I decided to post here out of desperation.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, I opened Malwarebytes Premium and turned off Exploit Protection in the Real-Time Protection section of the main screen, and also made sure it was turned off in Settings - Security tab.

Have tested MS Word (which was acting up a lot and was my main concern) plus MS Excel (which would also act up just sometimes). So far, both of them are no longer freezing and closing when trying to open them.

Hope this good luck lasts!

Thanks for your quick and helpful assistance.

P.S. Does this mean I should leave all of the Malwarebytes exploit protection settings turned off, or is there some safe to re-enable them and tell Malwarebytes to not to mess with my MS Office 2019 programs?

3 minutes ago, Torvald said:

P.S. Does this mean I should leave all of the Malwarebytes exploit protection settings turned off, or is there some safe to re-enable them and tell Malwarebytes to not to mess with my MS Office 2019 programs?

Right now it is the only solution (so far) until the exact issue is found and fixed.

I am going to move your post to the exploit section.

• Root Admin

Hello @Torvald

Can we please get some logs to review.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

Porthos,

I followed your advice and turned on Exploit Protection on the main Malwarebytes Premium screen, plus then went into Settings - Security Tab and also turned on Exploit Protection there, then went into Manage Protected Applications and turned off exploit protection for both MS Excel and MS Word.

After doing this, I tested my MS Excel and MS Word programs, and both of them opened without problems.

Questions #1: I'm curious. What exactly is Malwarebytes Exploit Protection supposed to protect against?

Question #2: What is the difference between turning on Exploit Protection on the main Malwarebytes Premium screen and turning on Exploit Protection on the Settings - Security screen?

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi @Torval

Thank you for the report you sent us. 

I would like to know whether word crashes when tries to open the document or not. Windows can generate a crash dump report file when an App crashes by adding this registry key.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]
"DumpFolder"=hex(2):25,00,4c,00,4f,00,43,00,41,00,4c,00,41,00,50,00,50,00,44,00,41,00,54,00,41,00,25,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00
"DumpCount"=dword:00000032
"DumpType"=dword:00000001

You can open the notepad.exe copy and paste the info above and save the files as dump.reg  then you just doble-click on it to add the registry key. You will need to turn the AntiExpoit on and it would be better if you restart you competer before you test the issue again.

If word crashes then Windows will generate a crash dump file (in this folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDump) of the issue that we would dig into it to find the real problem and fix it as soon as posible. 

you can zip up the genarated files and send them to me to dsanchez@malwarebytes.com 

Also, if there is no problem to send us the file (or the url) you are trying to open with Word we can also check in our lab and try to repo the issue.

sorry for any inconvenience this may cause

Many thanks
David

• Staff

Hi Torvald, @Torvald

Thanks for your post. We need some additional logs to debug your issue. Can you please enable the toggle in the Malwarebytes product as in the below screenshot and then generate the logs again.

Also if you can please get us the crash dump as provided in the above comment by David.

Thank you.

ae-logs-screenshot.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Arthi,

I toggled the Event Data Log to ON, per your request, and then removed the exploit exceptions for MS Excel and MS Word.  They both seemed a little more stable this morning, but MS Word 2019 did freeze and crash several times on me.

Also, per his request, I emailed a zipped copy of the crashdumps to dsanchez yesterday.

Per your request, I tried to attach zipped copies of new crashdumps from today and today's mbst-grab-results info, but I keep getting an error message saying the file uploads were unsuccessfull.

Therefore, please give me your email address and I will try sending them to you that way instead.

Please let me know if you need any further diagnostic info.

• Root Admin

Please try restarting the computer to send the mbst-grab-results.zip file here on the forums.

If you're trying to zip and send an actual memory dump file that is probably way too big to upload to the forum.

You can use the WeTransfer mail service to send large files and then send me a private message with the link to the file @Torvald

Upload File(s) to WeTransfer:

• Visit WeTransfer.com
  • Click on I Agree

image.png

• Click on Manage Cookies

image.png

• Uncheck all the cookies and other Ad settings

image.png

• Click the triple dots for more options

image.png

• Select the Link option "Get transfer link" - then click the Message and enter a message.

image.png

• Click on +Add Files - Browse to the location of the file and double-click on it or click once on it and select Open

image.png

• Click on Get a link to send the file and get the link to post back

image.png

• Once the transfer completes, click on Copy link

image.png

• Once you receive the Copied! message please save in notepad so you can post the link in your private message to me.

Thanks

Hello,

I had to take me wife to the Emergency Room this morning, spend most of today there with her there, and she just got admitted to the Hospital.  No idea how long she will be staying.

Therefore, I will not be able to respond further to you for a couple of days, and would appreciate your patience and understanding.

So, In that light, instead of asking me to try out some special file sharing system to re-send some files, recommend you simply contact your fellow employee and ask him for the files that I already emailed to him.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi @Torvald

So sorry to hear that and I hope things go well soon. I have not received the email with the attached files maybe are too big. I think "wetransfer" will be a better idea but no worries at all. Whenever you can make it we will be here to fix the problem.

Take care and thank you for all the effort you are making.

Best regards

Good Morning,

My wife is safely back home from the hospital.  The good news is that she did not have a stroke like they originally thought, and they now believe her symptoms were caused by taking too much insulin and other prescription medicines for her diabetes. We are both breathing a big sigh of relief, as this is much less serious than her having a stroke. She is now temporarily off all her diabetes meds until they can sort things out, and I will drive her to all her doctor appointments for the next two weeks, just to be safe.

Okay, I tried using the  WeTransfer file transfer service this morning, and think I sent the diagnostic files to you for 08-30-21 and 08-31-21 (although I may have accidentally also sent a copy of the Malwarebytes Support Tool).  Here are the links:

Link to diagnostic Files from 08-30-21:

https://we.tl/t-F5WjbRAq6W

Link to diagnostic files from 08-31-21:

https://we.tl/t-eaV9xROZKt