Malwarebytes Browser Guard vs Ghostery

Old_Time_App

• Root Admin

They're not exactly complimentary products. Certainly a lot of cross-over capabilities.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard

Here is a link with help on how to better protect your computer data as well as your privacy, one of which is recommended to stop using Google Chrome

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/

Thank you, however, I noticed that when I switched from Ghostery to MBG on Chrome, ads on youtube would start to play for about one or two seconds and then the actual video would start playing. However, Ghostery had always just completely blocked the ads. 

But I paused MBG and I switched back to Ghostery on Chrome for now, however, I installed the Adblock for Youtube extension and I'm wondering if that would be compatible with MBG since MBG seems to be preferred over Ghostery... Or at least at this forum. 

Also, on Edge, I've been using Super Adblocker for Youtube for a while, which seems to work fine on youtube videos ads and pop-up ads on other sites, but I've also added MBG and everything seems to be working the same on that browser.  

• Root Admin

The largest issue is that (in my opinion) uBlock Origin is currently probably the best content blocker out there. However, both uBlock Origin and Adblock from time to time have trouble blocking Ads on YouTube. Don't forget Google is the largest Ad company in the world bar none. Almost $85 billion dollars a year from Advertising, tracking, and selling that data. It is there best interest to daily try to stop all content blockers from doing their job. I've been using Content blocking for many years now and there is no product on the market period that can consistently block Ads on YouTube. Many will work for long periods of time but sooner or later YT seems to find a way to circumvent them so its always a cat and mouse game with Ad blocking.

Tip #1 get rid of Google Chrome if you don't want to be tracked and part of that Ad revenue stream.

18 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Tip #1 get rid of Google Chrome if you don't want to be tracked and part of that Ad revenue stream.

Well, I use Google Chrome on my mobile phone because they've made it very convenient to sign up for this and use apps and to save contacts and other information, etc. So I don't know if there's any other company or web browser that is as convenient as Google Chrome is.

Also, I saw an internet article that came out today that was advising not to use Chrome, but I haven't read it yet. Plus, I'm wondering if using Google Chrome as a PC web browser is worse than using it for your mobile phone. 

• Root Admin
3 hours ago, Old_Time_App said:

Well, I use Google Chrome on my mobile phone because they've made it very convenient to sign up for this and use apps and to save contacts and other information, etc. So I don't know if there's any other company or web browser that is as convenient as Google Chrome is.

Also, I saw an internet article that came out today that was advising not to use Chrome, but I haven't read it yet. Plus, I'm wondering if using Google Chrome as a PC web browser is worse than using it for your mobile phone. 

No, unfortunately not. Most people are willing to give up both safety and security for convenience (even in many things in life, not just computers). I'm sorry but I cannot help you with that, it's a personal decision.

Is there anything else I can assist you with at this time?

20 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Sounds good.

Take care then and stay safe out there and have a great rest of you week.

Cheers

Actually, I just looked at my gmail information and I never was synced in the first place. However, I did clear my history and I'm running a scan right now. So I'll know in a little bit if anything is different from my first scan.

4 hours ago, Old_Time_App said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/08/28/stop-using-google-chrome-on-windows-10-android-and-apple-iphones-ipads-and-macs/

my advice is to stick with the chrome browser and to use the ublock origin, noscript and "malwarebytes browser guard" browser-extensions along with it.

also, set chrome's cookie-settings to "block third-party cookies."

chrome has it's own sandbox.

i never see any ads on youtube, with my windows 10 computer.

on my android devices, i will use either firefox, which allows using some browser-extensions, or the MS edge browser which has "adblock plus" built into it.

Edited by redwolfe_98
update
  • 2 weeks later...