"Your system is infected with 3 viruses"

This message appeared on a screen that opened after clicking on a site in my search engine. I screen shot the message and the site info in the search engine, and copied the (very long) url. Then I ran my free Malwarebytes, v. 4.12.9, which found nothing wrong. The screen/url had, apparently, nothing to do with the site I was expecting to open. Here are those 2 screen shots plus one of the url. I didn't click on anything on the screen, and closed it as soon as I got a grip. Am I in trouble, or is Malwarebytes continuing to take care of me? Thanks.

Running Big Sur v 11.5.2 on late 2014 Mac mini, using Safari

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.44.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.46.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 10.22.46 PM.png

Agree that it's a fake tech support dialog probably attempting to get you to either purchase some worthless AV software or request access to your computer after which almost anything could happen.

As long as you didn't click anything, nothing could have occurred by simply displaying this dialog. You are not in trouble, relax and ignore it and go back to business as usual trusting Malwarebytes to watch your back.

• Like 1

As @Porthos mentioned, these are most often introduced by malvertisement. Many sites sign up with a 3rd party to provide them with rotating ads in order to offset the cost of maintaining their site and those 3rd party aggregators are often not always good at preventing ads with hidden malicious purpose. Such popups are usually produced by an embedded javascript that are often difficult to spot and since legitimate javascripts are common on most all websites these days for proper operation, it's equally difficult to block the ones that are not.

• Like 1

Thanks alvarnell. Pretty weird, since this one prevented me from getting to the site I wanted to go to. If the site is paying for these ads, I expect they'd be pissed to learn about this practice. Because it's indistinguishable from other javascripts, gotta give the script writers credit for getting away with murder. Wish I had the skills to root them out, as thankless as that would be. Adtech - not my favorite thing.

Actually, the site is being paid by the 3rd party ad consolidator and perhaps even get's credit for clicks on the ads themselves, although I suspect it's the 3rd party that gets those credits.

• Like 1

• Staff

One thing you can do to help prevent these kinds of issues is to use an ad blocker, like Malwarebytes Browser Guard (which is free, and also blocks malicious websites).

https://malwarebytes.com/browserguard

There's also a version for Safari, but it's not yet mentioned on that page, and it's only available via the Mac App Store (just search for Malwarebytes).

• Like 1