Got an Old App

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and I have one of your very old lifetime apps from...well, gosh, I'm really not quite sure. However, I believe that I either got it before or after I moved into the apartment complex that I currently live in, which was 15 years ago in 2006. Therefore, I hope that gives you an idea of how old my app is. 

Also, at another forum, I was told that the old apps no longer give full protection and that Malwarebytes has moved on to a yearly subscription. Therefore, I would like to know if my app is still fully functional and is sufficient in fighting off malware and the other nasties. 

Plus, I use this app on my home PC on the Windows 10 OS. Additionally, it still automatically updates and will scan my computer, and the name of the app is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO). Also, it has one number which is: 1.70.0.1100 and another one which is: Build date 12/14/2012 5:50:33 PM.

12 minutes ago, Old_Time_App said:

Would you like for me to try and find it and let you know what it is?

Do not post it here .

You should also be able to find it in the registry.

Location for Windows x64 64-Bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

You should have entrys for an ID AND key.

1 minute ago, Old_Time_App said:

Yes.

Now, uninstall your version of Malwarebytes and RESTART the computer.

Now, Install the current version.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

• Below the License Key entry, select My license came with a License ID.
  • Enter your License ID and License Key.
  • Click Activate.

Tell me when complete.

17 minutes ago, Old_Time_App said:

will I still have my lifetime subscription or will I have to pay for a new subscription every year?

Your lifetime sub is good for all future versions. Never expires.

19 minutes ago, Old_Time_App said:

Also, does my current software work? 

Not even close to the current version. The current version is an actual AV replacement.

The old version you have has been unsupported for years.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:24 AM, Porthos said:

Your lifetime sub is good for all future versions. Never expires.

Not even close to the current version. The current version is an actual AV replacement.

The old version you have has been unsupported for years.

Okay, will do. Also, I use the Microsoft Windows 10 AV, should I deactivate that after I download the new Malwarebytes software?

The reason many of us members are pushing Keeping Defender on is the following.

Malwarebytes does not target script files during a scan... That means MB will not target; JS, HTML, VBS, .CLASS, SWF, BAT, CMD, PDF, PHP, etc.

It also does not target documents such as; PDF, DOC, DOCx, XLS, XLSx, PPT, PPS, ODF, etc.

It also does not target media files;  MP3, WMV, JPG, GIF, etc.

Malwarebytes will detect files like these on execution-only.

And,

Malwarebytes is not designed to function like normal AV scanners and uses a new kind of scan engine that relies mostly on heuristics detection techniques rather than traditional threat signatures.  Malwarebytes is also designed to look in all the locations where malware is known to install itself/hide, so a full or custom scan shouldn't be necessary, especially on any sort of frequent basis (like daily), especially since the default Threat Scan/Quick Scan checks all loading points/startup locations, the registry, all running processes and threads in memory, along with all system folders, program folders, and data folders as well as any installed browsers, caches, and temp locations.  This also means that if a threat were active from a non-standard location because Malwarebytes checks all threads and processes in memory, it should still be detected.  The only threat it *might* miss would be a dormant/inactive threat that is not actively running/installed on a secondary drive, however, if the threat were executed then Malwarebytes should detect it.  Additionally, whenever a new location is discovered to be used by malware the Malwarebytes Research team adds that location dynamically to the outgoing database updates so the locations that are checked by the default Threat/Quick Scan in Malwarebytes can be changed on the fly by Research without requiring any engine or program version updates/upgrades.

An AV will catch the file just by downloading it or just opening a folder with a detected file in it.

For example, you get an email with an infected attachment, Malwarebytes will not even blink until you run it yet Defender will detect it if it is in their database without even actually clicking on it. Remember the list of files Malwarebytes does not target.

Then I will leave you with this.

As good as Malwarebytes is, it is just a layer of protection.

Using a browser that has Ublock Origin and the Malwarebytes Browser guard enabled is also a layer of protection.

Not opening attachments from an email unless you were expecting it from a specific user during a specific time period.

Do not use Torrents. Do not install every free software you find. Do not click links in an unknown email. Go directly to the site listed in the email.

Having a monthly image of your computer on an external drive that is only connected during the backup is actually better than any protective software ever made. Macrium Reflect free is the program I use and place on every computer I service.

Done and done. Also, the new version found 18 threats after scanning. Threats that my other security software couldn't find. Also, after looking at a lot of videos and following a lot of steps to fix my Dynamic lock feature for Windows sign-in options, it looks like it's finally fixed. 👍 And my instincts were telling me that something was wrong.

And BTW, I feel as if I just received an early Christmas present. 😄 🌲 Also, it's good to know that "Lifetime" meant "Lifetime." 😁

Could you do the following so I can look at your install.

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

Okay. Will do in a minutes, however, I wanted to ask you if you know how many devices my subscription will cover? My phone was acting funky today. Also, I use the Sandboxie software on my computer and after I logged in for the first time this evening and activated Sandboxie for this browser session, my Windows Dynamic lock went from working to not working. 🤔