Possible undetected virus/malware?

• Root Admin

After you have updated both drivers. Please restart the computer.

After the restart please create a new System Restore Point

Then, follow the directions from the following topic and make sure you clean up Google Chrome well.

Then click on Start / Search and type in "Check for updates" and allow Windows to update if it finds any updates.

Then test the computer out and let me know how it's running now and if you're still having any issues.

Ok I restarted.  I need to get going though and will be afk until late tonight.  I will do the system restore point and then follow the steps to clean up chrome.  I will let you know how it goes.  I won't be able to complete the steps until after you're probably done for the day.  Thanks for your help!

This process will have to continue tomorrow.  I'm Carroll's fiance and we have both been taking turns working on this issue.  I can't complete the steps above without her phone being here (2-step verification).  She is out of town and will be back tomorrow night.  Also there are 2 other devices that we will have to go through this process on to fully straighten things up, maybe 5 if we need to do this on phones as well.  Thank you for your patience.  Will you be available over the weekend?

Also on a side note I wanted to ask if reinstalling windows actually works, i know viruses would come along for the ride but wanted to know your thoughts on that topic.  Seems like doing that doesn't work for most and you can mess things up if not done correctly.  Also is it possible for you to remote in at some point and just go to town?  

• Root Admin

I will probably be around over the weekend but cannot promise. It's currently almost 3:00AM here for me, I really need to get to sleep.

The vast majority of infections would be removed by a format, but there were some years back that it would require removing all partitions to ensure the infection was gone for sure. I doubt we're dealing with that.

Have a good night

This is Carroll and my fiance and I wanna say thank you very very very much for all of your help! Our computer is running so much better! 

My fiance found that Network Priority/Boost was an option in Lenovo Vantage that was switched on. Apparently it gives network priority to bigger games when they are running and takes away from everything else on the PC when those games are running. We knew there was a Network Priority setting in our router and had made sure that was set correctly but we had no idea about the setting in Lenovo Vantage. 

It used to only affect GTA and Rocket League and when it suddenly started affecting all of the games without us changing anything I was sure it had to be a virus. But there must've been some update that added all of our games to Network Priority/Boost in Lenovo? My fiance switched it off and tested every game and the internet did not drop speed at all. Other programs worked while the games were on and he was able to stream Rocket League with no issues. 

So we apologise for wasting your time and energy but again GREATLY appreciate all of your efforts. It was nice to have someone listen and actually try to help. I wanted to let you know what did fix our problem in case it ever happens to anyone else who has this issue and has a Lenovo Legion gaming system and they think they have a virus.

Hopefully, they are all smarter than us and figure that out before going through all of this, but if they wanna game AND do ANYTHING else simultaneously, turn OFF Network Boost in Lenovo Vantage!

Thank you and Malwarebytes AGAIN!!!

• Root Admin

Thank you for the follow up @Carrollm1980 so glad to have people take the time to come back and let us know. Many times users simply go away after they believe the computer is fixed and we don't hear back from them.

At least you were able to get many other general settings checked, cleaned, and scanned for malware.

Take care and have a great week and stay safe out there.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you