MBARW v0.9.19.73 - 1.1.427 consumes excessive memory with Windows 10

hake

Go to solution Solved by tetonbob,

I use MBARW Beta.  When I run an AV scan with either Panda Dome free 20.02.01 or Avast free 21.6, the memory required by the Malwarebytes Service can exceed 750MB with Windows 10 whereas with Windows 8.1 it can reach 150MB but with Windows 7 the memory occupancy is very modest at approx. 20MB.  The systems are all 64 bit and operate with mandatory ASLR.  I have noticed with Windows 10 that TWO MBARW icons appear in the system notification tray during the AV scans.

I mention AV scans but the same issues seem to coincide during Patch Tuesday updates.  What mainly catches my attention is the differences between the various versions of Windows, i.e. 7, 8.1 and 10.

Edited by hake

• Staff

@hake - thanks for your report. We're investigating. A couple of questions
1. Does the high memory use condition persist if you restart the machine after it's entered this state?
2. Is the multiple tray icon issue repeatable each time? We've noted that after a new component update comes down, there can be a temporary 'ghost' icon in the tray.

Edited by tetonbob

I've been using the latest version of MBARW for several days.  The high memory use only seems to occur with intense prolonged activity such as an AV scan.  It does seem to stop increasing and then remains steady.  The condition does not persist after a system restart.  I use Windows 10 21H1 but also observed the problem with 20H2 early today.  The reason why I was using 20H2 was because I had to revert to a backup system image.  The double icon seems to appear after, say, an AV scan has been running for a while.

I have not noticed the issue with previous versions of MBARW or Windows 10 but then I wasn't looking for it.

• Staff

Thanks for the detail. I've not been able to reproduce the reported AV scan issue using either Avast or Panda, on hardware or VM. But, I can reproduce the issue with a Windows Update, on any of several versions of Windows 10x64 and also on Windows 8.1x64.

This version 1.1.427 was only released yesterday, but this was a hotfix to resolve a different issue found on the previous CU release, 1.1.424. This also aligns with my observations, that the issue is in both 1.1.424 and 1.1.427 and did not exist in 1.1.408

I am presently enjoying Windows 8.1 endlessly churning away waiting for MS updates.  The point of this comment is that Windows 8.1 and 10 are both affected with this when any prolonged task is in progress.  The difference is that with Windows 10, Malwarebytes Service grabs a lot more memory than it does with Windows 8.1.  The AV scan is just another heavy prolonged process, judging by the process information yioelded by Task Manager.  The double System Tray icons have not been seen with Windows 8.1.

All my systems are bang up to date.  Windows 7 is immune to this as far as I can tell and with which the memory needs of Malwarebytes Service  seem to max at 30 to 40MB.

• Like 1

• Staff
  • Solution

@hake - we just released a new version 1.1.428 that intends to address the issue you reported which I've been able to reproduce, that of the high memory usage after a Windows Update.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258918-latest-version-of-mbarw-beta-v091973-11428-released-24-aug-2021/?tab=comments#comment-1476550

Please let us know your results when you have time to take a look.

I am running Windows 7 with the updated MBARW 428 and have noticed the 'double icon' in the System Tray.

Initial impressions look good.  I will come back this evening (UK time) after I have run some more scans.  It seems to me that running intensive scans are what seem to make Malwarebytes Service grab more than its fair share of memory when version 427 of MBARW was in use.

P.S.  Six hours on from the remarks immediately above, I have run SuperAntiSpyware scans on two Windows 10 21H1 systems, one Windows 8.1 system and one Windows 7 system and the memory consumed by Malwarebytes Service has remained stable, typically at 16 to 18MB.  I noticed some CPU activity in Malwarebytes Service while the data for the scan was downloaded and processed prior to the scans and the memory went up to c.23MB for a few seconds before returning to the 16 to 18MB range.

The 'double icon' in the System Tray seems only to have happened once with Windows 7 and not at all with Windows 8.1 and 10.  Other than that, I cannot see any difference between running MBARW 428 on Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 as regards the excessive memory use problem.

Edited by hake
  • Like 1

Glad to help.  It's what is called Enlightened Self Interest.  MBARW 428 is performing faultlessly on my several Windows 10 21H1 systems plus an 8.1.  Memory consumption is flat.

Edited by hake
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1