Advanced Windows Manager

Hello I'm new here. I was forced to create an account to ask for help here since I've been googling but can't solve it. Also, I've seen some solutions that are machine-specific.

Few weeks ago, my Bitdefender anti-virus detected and blocked malicious activity. It is so intense that it kept popping out just few seconds apart the whole day. Even though it's in processes, I can't uninstall it because it's not listed in 'Add or Remove Programs'. The uninstall shortcut in its folder leads to msiexec.exe in C:\Windows\SysWOW64. I'm afraid it might to something bad so I didn't use that. So I just left it like that since my anti-virus can block it. Next few days it was gone. Then one day my anti-virus kept on popping again. So I researched and ended up installing the trial version of Malwarebytes and scanned my laptop. It detected malicious items. I attached the logs. I don't know when and where I got it since it's been a long time since I downloaded something. I thought it has been removed/quarantined by Malwarebytes but today, the auto-scan still detected malicious items. So I ask for your help on how to completely remove it.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

P.S. Additional question, is it fine to have Malwarebytes installed while I also have an anti-virus?

Scan Result August 1 2021.txt Scan Results - August 5 2021.txt

Hi and Welcome to the forum smile.png

I'll be helping you with your computer.

Please read this post completely before beginning. If there's anything that you do not understand, please don't hesitate to ask before proceeding.

Please take note of the guidelines for this fix:

• Please note that I am a volunteer. I do have a family, a career, and other endeavors that may prevent immediate responses that meet your schedule. Do note that the differences in time zones could present a problem as well. Your patience and understanding will be greatly appreciated.
  • First of all, the procedures we are about to perform are specific to your problem and should only be used on this specific computer.
  • Do not make any changes to your computer that include installing/uninstalling programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, nor running scanners or tools of any kind unless specifically requested by me.
  • Please read ALL instructions carefully and perform the steps fully and in the order they are written.
  • If things appear to be better, let me know. Just because the symptoms no longer exist as before, does not mean that you are clean.
  • Continue to read and follow my instructions until I tell you that your machine is clean.
  • If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask before performing the task that I ask of you, and please wait for my reply before you proceed.
  • Scanning with programs and reading the logs do take a fair amount of time. Again, your patience will be necessary. smile.png

Let's begin... smile.png

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click FRST(64) and select Run as administrator.
  • Make sure that under Optional Scans, there is a checkmark on Addition.txt.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The tool will also produce another log (Addition.txt ). Please attach this also to your reply.

Download the enclosed file and save it in the same location FRST64 is saved. Open FRST64 as an Administrator and click on the Fix button.

When finished, a log file (Fixlog.txt) will pop up and saved in the same location the tool was ran from.

Please attach the file in your next reply.

How is the computer doing?

Fixlist.txt

Now the malware is gone, use the following application to remove quarantines items:

Please download KpRm by Kernel-panik and save to your Desktop.

• Click on KpRm.exe to run the tool.

Vista/Windows 7/8/10 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.

• Put a check mark next to these items:

- Delete tools
- Delete now

• Click the "Run" button.

automatic.png

• When the tool has finished, it will create and open a log report and  delete itself.

Delete the quarantine in Malwarebytes Antimalware.

Best regards. 🙂

Hello, sorry I have a follow up question.

Malwarebytes notified me of MaskVPN as riskware. I uninstalled it from the 'Add or Remove Programs' but the folder is still intact in my Program Files. I can't uninstall it again because it's not listed in the programs anymore.

I tried to do again the steps you provided before Addition.txtFRST.txt plus a scan and quarantine I did using adwcleaner of Malware Bytes. I attached the logs. No logs from MalwareBytes because it didn't detect anything.

Do I need to create another thread for this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

AdwCleaner August 7 2021.txt

Download the enclosed file and save it in the same location FRST64 is saved. Open FRST64 as an Administrator and click on the Fix button.

When finished, a log file (Fixlog.txt) will pop up and saved in the same location the tool was ran from.

Upon restart, open FRST64 once again, then type the following in the edit box on FRST, after "Search:".

Searchall: MaskVPN

Click Search Files button and post the log (Search.txt) it makes on the USB drive in your next reply.

Fixlist.txt

If successful, all should be removed. Please download KpRm by Kernel-panik and save to your Desktop. Run it as instructed above, to remove FRST and its quarantine.

Fixlist.txt

One entry failed. Lets use other format:

Fixlist.txt

Edited by JSntgRvr
Fixlist.txt

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you