PC Laptop keeps getting Password hint changed to a phone number

Folks

Trying to help out a older gentleman neighbor

A few months ago he came to me to say he had done something very stupid
Paid some money to some online scammer to fix his laptop (Which was not broken at the time)

They locked or changed his password.
Password hint was a for a phone number for so called support

Anyway  using Trinity rescue kit 3.4 ISO 
I managed to unlock his account (Local)

Using ISO did a scan with Comodo cleaning essentials

Then online did a scan with Malwarebytes home premium 2.2.1.1043 that he had installed and paid for some time ago.

Both did find some items and seemed to clean up fine, sorry did not keep the logs for either.

This week found out that somehow some one had again managed to access his laptop (Not sure how)
Lock his account and set a Password hint to a phone number for support.

As per previous time run the above
None of the tools picked up any issues

I noticed some of the other posts asked to run ESET Online Scanner
This did pick up 56 number of objects
I do have a copy of the EEST Scan log if anybody finds it usfull.

Did also notice that he had TeamViewer running but he does not seem to know why , so have un-installed it.

Can some kind Wizard guide us through to make sure I have not missed anything.
Also any suggestions to try and make sure this does not happen again , would be very helpful.

Matthew 

Hello Matthew.    :welcome:

Kindly tell me a few details.  What version of Windows is this ?

What sort of internet connection hardware is there between this computer and the incoming internet service ?   ie, do they have a hardware router ?

Please by the way, know, that Malwarebytes version 2.2.1.1043    is very very old and out of date.   and matter of fact, is out of support.

( but do know if they have a Lifetime license it is good forever for one machine).

Is the issue the actual "login" for logging into Windows ?  OR  is it just simply "the hint" ?

Kindly advise.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I will guide & help to see about this "hint" issue.  I will see & guide about getthing this pc to have the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.

I need a report set for review.   This is a report only.

Please download MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced > Gather Logs

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

• Please attach  mbst-grab-results.zip    to your reply , like displayed here.
  • To send  ( upload)   attachments please click the link as shown below. Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg

Edited by Maurice Naggar

3 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello Matthew.    :welcome:

Kindly tell me a few details.  What version of Windows is this ?

What sort of internet connection hardware is there between this computer and the incoming internet service ?   ie, do they have a hardware router ?

Please by the way, know, that Malwarebytes version 2.2.1.1043    is very very old and out of date.   and matter of fact, is out of support.

( but do know if they have a Lifetime license it is good forever for one machine).

Is the issue the actual "login" for logging into Windows ?  OR  is it just simply "the hint" ?

Kindly advise.

Maurice

Windows 10  build 19043

ISP is Zen , Modem is TG582n

License Duration Lifetime ,State Licensed

When my neighbor tries his password , it would not work.
Password hint : Contact support 01416288668

Matthew

Please run the report tool as listed in my preceding reply.  I do need that report set.

Let me know,  what / where / how  exactly  that "is asking for a password hint".   By the way, do not post any password or personal bits here.

PS.  No need to click the "Quote" button when starting a reply.  You & I are the only ones on this Thread.

PSS  if you contact the ZEN ISP support  they can let you know how to Rest the router modem.

ok let me re-cap for you.

1. I rest his login using ISO boot CD Trinity rescue Kit , which allows you to remove any password and unlock the account
    So I could login using his admin account , NO Password required 

2. You ask to show what would happen , 
     So I changed his password , and added the password Hint back in that I had written down

3. How often
     As original stated , he had issues about 1 month ago , which I thought I had resolved.

He then came to me the other day to say the same thing had happened.

There maybe things he is not telling me out of shame.
What I suspect is that someone is possible phoning him up and he is giving them his IP address then they somehow connect to his laptop.

However I dont know for sure.
He is a elderly neighbor but I can not start to integrate him , it is not the done thing.

Apart from running EEST is there anything else I should be doing.
Or just give him his laptop back and try and tell him not to allow it happen again.

THIS machine's O S  is 64-bit  Windows 10 Home Version 21H1

I am glad that you did manage to run the MB Support tool  ( frankly though) surprised that you could run it  & mystified how you "logged on".

Tell me, are you able in any way, to get this Windows restarted in a Elevated Command prompt window ?

Let me know.

And if you cannot do so, kindly see about using a different pc that works, where you can download,  and have you a USB-flash drive to spare ?

I would like to see if you can make a "Media Creation Tool"  USB

See this guide at Tenforums   ? Use OPTION  ONE  / we want to Create installation media for USB

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

Let me know after you have built the MCT tool on the USB   and then stop and let me know.

we will not use it to "install".  But we will use it to boot into Recovery prompt  ( caommand).

and I will guide you to activating the built in "Administrator" account + plus tips to you on setting that password for that account.

Later on, when your set, you can log in with that Administrator account to go into your buddy's account and see about removing any Hints    or any such junk.   The aim is just to eventually reset the password  on your friend's  account.

By the way, I encourage you to gently but firmly warm him anew about strangers offering help over the telephone.

ok?   first step, go about making the MCT.   Then let me know when done.

The Media Creation Tool is exteremely handy for Windows pc's.  It can be used to get to the Windows Recovery Environment where fixes can be done natively,

Given that you have cleared his account password   .....I do not know then why there is that oddish login prompt.

In any event, putting that aside....

The issue of his pc having a ancient version of Malwarebytes for Windows.

The MBST Malwarebytes Support tool   (that you used to run the report) can be used to do a "Clean uninstall > re-install" for Malwarebytes.

See this guide   https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023473-Uninstall-and-reinstall-Malwarebytes-using-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

You can skip a new download if you have it saved on his machine   ( from before )

Have lots of patience after the 1st reboot   and wait for the prompt to show on-screen to install the Malwarebytes program.

After a successful new install, do a Scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

and, insure it is Version 4.4.4

Regarding "password hint"

Some potential helpful articles about changing password within Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-or-reset-your-windows-password-8271d17c-9f9e-443f-835a-8318c8f68b9c

or / otherwise

Click Start. 

Type

Control Panel 

in the Search box
click it from the result. 

Click Change account type under User Accounts

Select the user you would like to change password hint. 

Change the password hint for that user. 

If you still need a method to change the userpasswordhint, then study this page 
https://www.top-password.com/blog/set-password-hint-for-windows-user-account/

Take great care when doing registry modifications.

I know how to change the password 

Malwarebytes 4.4.4 installed via MST

unfortunately it did not install the license key so need to fix that by talking to my neighbour and see if he had the original email on the license 

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you